• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Sid Post

Sid Post

Pleasant Hill Grain has good pricing on the Famag options.  Yes a bit more expensive than the Chinese options and cheaper than the German mixer which has more eye appeal IMHO.

The Famag breaker bar and tilt head removable bowl seems to tick all the boxes for me and keeps calling my name.  The other Italian options certainly have their fans but, I think I want to stay away from the fixed bowls.  I also expect Pleasant Hill Grain to be around for the long term in the unlikely event I need some service support so, I think the Famag is probably the best option for me.  Now, do I really need to upsize to a 10qt model or, should I wait and try some simple no-knead options first?  Hmm ...

Sid Post

Sid Post

Pleasant Hill Grain has good pricing on the Famag options.  Yes a bit more expensive than the Chinese options and cheaper than the German mixer which has more eye appeal IMHO.

The Famag breaker bar and tile head removable bowl seems to tick all the boxes for me and keeps calling my name.  The other Italian options certainly have their fans but, I think I want to stay away from the fixed bowls.  I also expect Pleasant Hill Grain to be around for the long term in the unlikely event I need some service support so, I think the Famag is probably the best option for me.  Now, do I really need to upsize to a 10qt model or, should I wait and try some simple no-knead options first?  Hmm ...