• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ghost Chili Relish

gulfporter

Found on the discount rack at our local "import" store.  Half-price (from 105 pesos to 52.5p).  I like it a lot---DH says it's too hot. 

ghost.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The heat rating looks "blazing" but I'd try it from the discount rack. As a US resident I always find it amusing to see brands globally that for years before internet I thought were kind of local to the states.  So a chunky relish almost like a chunky salsa? Other ingredients?

Edited by heidih (log)

DM_Ghost_Pepper_Relish_Ing._large.jpg

There is a lot of sweet to it, which balanced the relish well.  Made cheeseburgers for lunch today---I normally top mine with grilled jalapeno slices, but used this today and was happy with it.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 1

The heat of ghost peppers is fine for me, I'd put it at the upper edge of what I consider pleasant to eat. Anything much hotter is out of my fun zone, I may eat it just to say I did but I wouldn't call it enjoyable. I do think habaneros have a better flavor than ghost peppers. The ghost peppers earn their name though. They haunt you. Long after the habanero heat has died off, the ghost pepper keeps lingering like a fart in a car*.

*Feel free to insert your own metaphor if that one offends. For better or worse, it's the first one that came to mind. :P

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.