• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored soda

shain

I've been experimenting with flavoring soda water lately, nothing fancy - just extracts, simple syrup and for some flavors a bit of citric acids.

I liked the results of almond extract, orange blossom and vanilla. Haven't tried combining them yet.

The almond one gave me a very Chinese vibe. The vanilla is a common flavor in Georgia. The Georgian also makes an awesome tarragon soda. I might try to make some tarragon syrup at some point.

Less successful were rose water, cherry, and banana flavors.

However I successfully use the cherry one to create cherry coke out of plain one on the rare occasions I feel like having coke. I like cherry coke (the plain one is just OK). It's not available here for more than a decade.

The banana I sometimes use to give this nostalgic flavor to milkshakes and the like.

Other than tarragon, I might try making some orange/lemon syrup at some point. I'd like to try combining orange vanilla and orange blossom, or lemon and rose water.

~ Shai N.

Are you talking about homemade sweet soda, or flavored seltzer?  Torani syrups + seltzer make a nice beverage.  Herbal syrups like shiso or thai basil also make a fine addition to seltzer.  If the sugar component is not required for your desired result, look into citrus oils.  I handle them thus:  Make a 2-4% solution of citrus oil in Everclear.  Add that stuff to an atomizer bottle.  Spray a spritz or two over seltzer.  ***Don't do this with bergamot.  That stuff is caustic even at this dilution.  

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch