• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wholesale Chocolate Prices

Bentley

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How about online sources in the US that might be less expensive?

Oh sorry, you wanted all the other, cheaper wholesale suppliers?  😆

Talking to the manufacturer or their sales rep directly might yield some leads, and ideally samples 😋 Does anyone know a Barry Callebaut rep on the east coast ... ? 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

• 8 months later...

Chef Rubber will start carrying Felchlin products soon.  Looks like they will break cases & sell by the bag, prices are very slightly below Albert Uster's list price but shipping may be additional.  Thought this might be useful for the smaller producers and hobbyists who don't have accounts with AUI.

https://chefrubber.com/felchlin/

20 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Chef Rubber will start carrying Felchlin products soon.  Looks like they will break cases & sell by the bag, prices are very slightly below Albert Uster's list price but shipping may be additional.  Thought this might be useful for the smaller producers and hobbyists who don't have accounts with AUI.

I saw that announcement.  For my location the shipping would be a deciding factor (as I buy enough to get free shipping from AUI).  If Chef Rubber started carrying the more unusual Felchlin items in small quantities, I would definitely be a customer for the Caramelito (I love the stuff, but can't use a whole box of it in a reasonable time).  My experience with buying colored cocoa butter from CR is that their shipping charges are high (yes, I know it's from the warehouse in New Mexico to Virginia, but still...), and I really resent the handling charge they add on.  For those who have never tasted Felchlin's couvertures, this is a great opportunity.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Adding some more recent data here.  Have to be careful with putting info out on pricing, but when ordering at very large volumes you can indeed get good discounts.  We are geographically isolated so can't get a lot of what we prefer through our regular channels.  But for example, we can get Jivara for $103/bag arriving with our food shipments a few times a week, or we can source for $55/bag but have to order many many many many cases and then pay for shipping and wait awhile.  Last shipment was 500+kg and shipping cost was $2200+ for one pallet (and wasn't a full pallet).  The shipping alone was roughly $13/bag or $4.3/kg.  These are obviously inflated greatly from where shipping was pre or even mid-pandemic (paid $600 for that same pallet in late-2020).

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, pastrygirl said:

I was looking for just one bag of something and discovered that Chef Rubber is having a Felchlin Clearance sale "while supplies last".  Not sure if this means they're discontinuing or just over-stocked, but prices are well below AUI, like 20% off even including shipping fees.  Wish I'd discovered this sooner!

• Thanks 1