• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

26 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

An amateur?  From your posts, I think you may well have passed that designation long ago.  I had thought you were near opening a shop.

I had gone pretty far down the path of opening a shop...but I ultimately couldn't make the economics work.  I'm in SW FL and Real estate is too expensive in my town,  it's very hot year round here and shipping to most of the country is very expensive.  And I'd be competing directly with Norman Love locally.  To do what I was hoping to accomplish would require ideally locating in the midwest where I could ship to 80% of the country in 1 day for less than $10.  In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't open up - probably would have lost a lot with the pandemic.  

Thanks for the info on prices. I would have expected a bigger difference.  I wonder if the big guys like Chris Elbow or Kate Weiser are getting even bigger discounts for volume.  

I get most of my retail chocolate from Pastry Depot.  They have a somewhat limited selection of chocolates, but enough for me and Atlanta is close enough so that I can use their free shipping option and still receive my package in a couple of days.  Valrhona is on sale now there- 10 to 20% off.  

Bentley

Bentley

17 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

An amateur?  From your posts, I think you may well have passed that designation long ago.  I had thought you were near opening a shop.

I had gone pretty far down the path of opening a shop...but I ultimately couldn't make the economics work.  I'm in SW FL and Real estate is too expensive in my town,  it's very hot year round here and shipping to most of the country is very expensive.  And I'd be competing directly with Norman Love locally.  To do what I was hoping to accomplish would require ideally locating in the midwest where I could ship to 80% of the country in 1 day for less than $10.  In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't open up - probably would have lost a lot with the pandemic.  

Thanks for the info on prices. I would have expected a bigger difference.  I wonder if the big guys like Chris Elbow or Kate Weiser are getting even bigger discounts for volume.  

I get most of my retail chocolate from Pastry Depot.  They have a somewhat limited selection of chocolates, but enough for me and Atlanta is close enough so that I can use their free shipping option and still receive my package in a couple of days.  Valrhona is on sale now there- 20% off.