• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appliance Scarcity

palo

I am the midst of it now. Can''t fix dryer cuz they can't get parts and new ones have jacked up prices due to availability. Friend jumped thru hoops to get new fridge - her was completely dead.  Good luck!

I recently bought an entire kitchen's worth of appliances (five in  all) and had no problems whatsoever.  I'm guessing that most were shipped out of Seattle.

Maybe it depends on where you live.  

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I recently bought an entire kitchen's worth of appliances (five in  all) and had no problems whatsoever.  I'm guessing that most were shipped out of Seattle.

Where did you buy yours from?

On 10/7/2020 at 11:10 AM, lindag said:

A friend is waiting for a refrigerator, since like April.  She reports her appliance store tells her that there's stock of fancy models, but not midrange stuff.

I knew I was living on borrowed time with our 24 year old fridge; it came with the (new) house and we haven't had any problems with it although my husband had been saying he thought it was sounding different.  It's in a tight spot, with a useless cabinet above it and not very wide so our options were limited.  Our appliance store was upfront with us in July when I ordered a new one, that it would likely be a minimum of 2 months.  I also wanted a second freezer for the basement, they said freezers are selling out the day they come in.  Both luckily arrived and were delivered last week.  Neither of them are fancy, maybe they'd be called mid-range.  I can't say I'm wild about the freezer (I'm not crazy about the way the shelves are arranged and I do not need storage on the door but so be it) but it's here and I can start to fill it.  Even if there is no second wave, I'm trying not to have to venture out for Dec/Jan/Feb and make do with what I can freeze.  I hate driving in the snow!

COVID craziness has normal business things in a crazy state right now.  Cars, bicycle, and other things are almost to the point of where toilet paper was a few month ago.

My Kubota tractor is worth more used 6 years later than what I paid for it!  😄

The new one is interest free for 72 months too!

Bicycles locally are an easy 50% more expensive then they were pre-COVID with $1,000 models selling like hot-cakes for ~$1500.  😵

Appliances can be in a similar state in some areas where demand is up.  I think it is like pasta sauce on the shelf ... you don't need any but, there are only two jars left so you buy them.  The next person on aisle doesn't need any either but panics because there isn't any on the shelf.

Buyer psychology is a strange thing right now with COVID induced craziness.

Edited by Sid Post (log)
  • Like 1