• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sugar bloom or fat bloom ?

Vip89

helo i have this problem when i tempering my chocolate for moulds do bonbons 

can tell me solution and this which one fat or suger bloom ? or no way to fix this chocolate  

2) how to store chocolate in refrigerator ? because here hot weather i must keep in refrigerator ( i can use Empty the air from the bags  ) ?  

this is picture 

875767798.jpg 

310517816.png

Welcome @Vip89.

I'd suggest to tell the difference between fat and sugar bloom - dampen a finger and run it over the streaks - if they feel gritty and disappear with the damp it's sugar bloom.  Retemper that chocolate and as it starts to firm up around the edges after pouring the mold - pop it in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes to carry off the latent heat of crystallization. Then take it out of the fridge to prevent sugar bloom. 

The chocolate in the second picture should temper fine - looks like just older chocolate with some form VI conversion on the surface. 

Can you set up cooling that is not as cold as a fridge to store your product? A wine fridge or if you are making large quantities - maybe a room with a Coolbot. I'm thinking perhaps around 15-18 degrees C so it isn't below the dew point of the room when you take the chocolate back out. 

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Can you set up cooling that is not as cold as a fridge to store your product? A wine fridge or if you are making large quantities - maybe a room with a Coolbot. I'm thinking perhaps around 15-18 degrees C so it isn't below the dew point of the room when you take the chocolate back out. 

A supplementary idea is to purchase an impulse sealer and some plastic bags (I get the kind used for sous vide) and seal the chocolates in those to keep out humidity.  I use that method for the chocolates that I sell wholesale to shops that have refrigeration available.

helo ,  if i want keep chocolate in refrigeration  i can use this machine  Sous Vide ?

what did you thing because i cant keep out hot room temperature hot 

it will be good ? save chocolate from humidity  ? 

p_1740vyzcj1.jpg 

p_174080f9h2.jpg 

@Vip89, you can definitely use the FoodSaver to seal the chocolates against humidity, but if you are making filled chocolates (bonbons), you must stop the machine before the vacuum action starts, or it will suck out the insides of the bonbon.  I speak from authoritative experience!  It was not a pretty picture.

But this does nothing for temperature, the other thing that must be avoided with chocolate (besides humidity).  With the chocolate sealed, however, you can safely put it in a refrigerator.  For longer storage, you can go further and freeze it without ill effect.

• Like 1

another question

1) when i loss  tempering chocolate ??  if temperature 23c i loss my tempering

2) if i do chocolate tempering and i have excessive amount for next day how i store chocolate ? and i must tempering again ?? 

thanks all

3 hours ago, Vip89 said:

another question

1) when i loss  tempering chocolate ??  if temperature 23c i loss my tempering

2) if i do chocolate tempering and i have excessive amount for next day how i store chocolate ? and i must tempering again ?? 

thanks all

Room temp of 23C/73F is on the warm side for chocolate, especially if humidity is high.  I prefer 18-20C/64-68F, ideally with humidity below 50% so the chocolate can cool and crystallize rapidly.

If you have a melter, you can leave your chocolate melted overnight at 40-50C/and re-temper it the next day, or you can let the excess solidify then re-melt and re-temper.  You can't really hold melted but tempered chocolate for long amounts of time, once the crystallization has started the chocolate will continue to thicken and solidify.