• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jar spatula

dscheidt

I need a couple small spatulas, suitable for getting the last of contents out of a small jar or can.    Any recommendations?  The last one, which worked pretty well, was from Tovolo, but it had a wooden handle that didn't last.  I'd strongly prefer silicone. 

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My favorite is iSi but it has to be red.

Do you mean the iSi slim silicone?  If so I totally agree, but I think it may have been discontinued.  I've wanted to get another one for a year or so now.  It wasn't on their website when I checked a while back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ditto that. 

11 hours ago, dscheidt said:

I need a couple small spatulas, suitable for getting the last of contents out of a small jar or can.    Any recommendations?  The last one, which worked pretty well, was from Tovolo, but it had a wooden handle that didn't last.  I'd strongly prefer silicone. 

Unable to find the iSI, I tried this one, also Tovolo but with a metal handle. Seems OK but I’ve only had it for a year or so. 

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My favorite is iSi but it has to be red.

Can you point to a current source?  Any color is ok.  Mine are wearing out

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix link (log)

I have these:  the red ones are Betty Crocker, the green ones Thermoworks.  I like the red ones better.  I think the green ones came with their thermometer while I bought the red ones at the Dollar Store.

20201003_125446.jpg

20201003_125557.jpg

My wife has a spurtle from "Mad Hungry" I believe she got from QVC that she loves forgetting the last little bit out of jars.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

3 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

I bought the oxo one, on the grounds that if my wife hates it, she can't blame me for buying some strange brand.  We'll see how it works out.  It turned up today, I'll use it later for dinner.

If it doesn't "work," I'd blame it on user error.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

My main use of a "smaller" spatula is to scrape down the sides of the glass blender jar, and almost everything modern is too large. I have (literally) dozens of scrapers which I have/am testing--most of which are quite annoying.

My new favourite is the scraper from Thermoworks which @ElsieD references above. Small enough to fit inside the sides of the glass blender jar and supple enough to work right.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2020 at 4:34 PM, weinoo said:

If it doesn't "work," I'd blame it on user error.

After replacing the one that got stuck in my ear, it's been working pretty well.  Scrapes jars well, small enough to get into even little jelly jars, doesn't seem to have odors stick to it.    I'd buy another, but we lack space in the counter utensil canister./