• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Various Versions of the iPot , your take ?

rotuts

I like starting by apologizing for starting a new topic.

Id like iPot users take on the various versions

and what they think about those newer than the duo , as its the first ive had

and those two ' handles ' made a big difference from V1

I do have two iPot 6 qt spares , purchased at various Prime Days 

quite inexpensively .  Im on the hunt for a 3-qt , on Prime day 

so :

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Duo-Mini-Programmable/dp/B06Y1YD5W7/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=instant+pot+3+qt&qid=1601654646&sr=8-3

for me , the standard to beet 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6V1MXW?ref=emc_p_m_5_i&th=1

the Nova

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Ultra-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B0777XZBMZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=instant+pot+3+qt&qid=1601654930&sr=8-4

the Ultra

So , if you have a favorite , having had an older model 

what do you like about the newer ones ?

I agree for the 3 qt , hopefully all on Prime day

the price difference is not that dramatic 

still , will all the various accessories ...

thank your for your insight.

• Like 1

I have the 3qt Ultra and there’s no big advantage to it.  I do like this display and it shows a progress bar for the various cycles. It was on deep sale when I bought it and less than all the others, but I wouldn’t pay any extra for the Ultra. 

ETA:  I also own the 8 qt Duo Plus.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

While I don't own it, the model I'd probably get if I needed to replace mine would be the Duo Evo Plus. That one has a new inner pot with two small side handles that is designed for stovetop use.

Being able to throw it on the stove for quicker browning would be an advantage, plus it looks like those handles would keep the inner pot from spinning when you're stirring things.

It also has an optional, freezable ice tray you can use for quickly reducing pressure without venting (similar to running a stovetop PC under cold water) but that feels a little gimmicky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 12:40 PM, mgaretz said:

I have the 3qt Ultra and there’s no big advantage to it.  I do like this display and it shows a progress bar for the various cycles. It was on deep sale when I bought it and less than all the others, but I wouldn’t pay any extra for the Ultra. 

ETA:  I also own the 8 qt Duo Plus.

I don't have the 3 qt Ultra, but I have the 6 qt Ultra and the 6 qt Duo. I prefer the Ultra and think it's worth a bit more money, but mainly because I like the customization that it allows. Being able to set the temperature (say, for slow cooking) is a huge plus for me. The Ultra has other features - both customization and ergonomics - that I prefer. I wrote in more detail comparing the two IP 6-qt models here. All that said, if the temperature control and "last program memory" aren't important to you, then I'd agree with mgaretz.

I can't shed any light on later versions.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, dtremit said:

While I don't own it, the model I'd probably get if I needed to replace mine would be the Duo Evo Plus. That one has a new inner pot with two small side handles that is designed for stovetop use.

Being able to throw it on the stove for quicker browning would be an advantage, plus it looks like those handles would keep the inner pot from spinning when you're stirring things.

It also has an optional, freezable ice tray you can use for quickly reducing pressure without venting (similar to running a stovetop PC under cold water) but that feels a little gimmicky.

That’s the model I got last year, and I love it. My older IP is a 6qt. but I went for the 8qt. this time because there’s no such thing as too much chili con carne in the freezer. I use it most often to make yogurt, and that’s a lot less fiddly on this new IP. The ability to go from the stovetop to the IP or vice versa is a total win. 

I don’t see myself using the quick cool feature very often, but y’know, it’s there if I need it.

My only minor gripe at the moment is that there’s no non-stick insert for the 8qt with handles, but that may get settled with new product releases. 

Overall, it’s on my short list of pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands favorite kitchen devices. 

• Like 2

“A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns. The rising of the milky way.”

Carl Sagan, Cosmos