• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide entrant: Figo

FlashJack

I think the market is tiny for this.  SV isn't like a crock pot. It just cooks one thing, usually protein that needs a long cook.

So the home cook sets it up for flat iron steak and makes the side dishes when he gets home from work. I guess some time is saved, but why not just cook a fast salmon when he gets home? I think this solves a nonexistent problem.

In fact a crock pot, of which I'm no fan, is better for a full meal. Short ribs, carrots,  garlic, onion, red wine, tomato etc, cooked all day on low only needs some noodles for a tasty dinner. 

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of things to break and not enough price point to build them well. Water heating, air cooling, built in vacuum sealer, and a two-way water pump.

Plus by definition, if it has a water reservoir separate from the cooking tank, it's going to take up twice as much space to hold the same (probably inadequate) quantity of water.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtremit said:

Seems like a lot of things to break

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought. Products vary in quality when trying to do any one of those things. Doing them all well -- at that price -- is tricky.