• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold soba noodles salad with sesame miso dressing

shain

250-300g dry soba noodles

100g peeled edamame (or peas, or green beans cut into short segments)

300g tofu, cut into small cubes

2 tbsp soy sauce

1.5 tsp sugar

3 small cucumbers, julienned

4-5 small spring onions, thinly sliced

4 garlic cloves, minced

apx 4 tsp minced ginger

3-4 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp miso paste

2 tbsp sesame paste

4-5 tbsp lemon juice

apx 1/3 cup of water

dry chili flakes to taste

salt to taste  

Blanch the edamame/peas/beans in salted water and shock in cold water. Drain well.

Blanch the tofu and drain.

Mix the tofu with 2 tbsp soy and 1.5 tsp sugar and gently heat in a small pot or in the microwave (the heat helps the tofu absorb the marinade).

Cook the noodles in plenty of water and wash very well.

If not serving soon, mix the noodles with a bit of oil.

If serving all of the amount soon, mix all of the ingredients, otherwise, mix the sauce individually and add it to the noodles and vegetables before serving.

Add more water as needed to give the sauce a creamy consistency.

Scatter some toasted sesame seeds for garnish.

PXL_20200921_185621063.thumb.jpg.9261c77ec3dcdd2c06cc257eadcf8ce8.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, shain said:

2 tbsp miso paste

2 tbsp sesame paste

I was searching for something different to do with miso and came across this. It has given me some ideas to work on. But I have one question.

When you say sesame paste, do you mean tahini or Asian (Chinese) sesame paste. I have both, but would like to know what you used - I'm guessing Asian, but...

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I was searching for something different to do with miso and came across this. It has given me some ideas to work on. But I have one question.

When you say sesame paste, do you mean tahini or Asian (Chinese) sesame paste. I have both, but would like to know what you used - I'm guessing Asian, but...

TL;DR - it doesn't matter, I used a darkly roasted tahini.

We don't sesame paste imported from Eastern Asia available here, it won't be comparative with the excellent local Tahini made in Israel and Palestine.

I have on hand 3 types at any time:

Pale tahini which is used for most middle eastern cooking - hummus, tahini sauce.

Dark tahini, which I use for some sweets and recpies that call for Chinese/Japanese style sesame paste.

Whole tahini, which we don't eat much of, and is mainly used by us on toast along with carob or date molasses (the local PB&J I guess).

IMO, both types of tahini will work well here, if anything, different types of miso and soy sauce will have bigger impact.

I think that I used the darker tahini, along with a not-very-light light miso and Japanese style soy sauce.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

16 minutes ago, shain said:

it doesn't matter, I used a darkly roasted tahini.

Well, they taste rather different, so it could matter, depending on the dish being cooked (I'm not looking to replicate your dish). A dark roasted tahini would be more like a Chinese sesame paste, though.

I'll experiment.

Thanks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Well, they taste rather different, so it could matter, depending on the dish being cooked (I'm not looking to replicate your dish). A dark roasted tahini would be more like a Chinese sesame paste, though.

I'll experiment.

Thanks.

Yeah, I mean that it doesn't matter for this dish. Since I wrote here sesame paste I assume I indeed used dark tahini, but in the recipe I wrote down for myself I listed tahini without specifying which type.

~ Shai N.