• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish court rules Subway bread is not bread

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Eatmyswords 

Ireland has a tax on non-staple foods (VAT).  The Irish suit was asking the court to rule that Subway bread was a staple food and as such,  not subject to the tax.  Because the sugar content exceeded the definition for bread, the court ruled that it was subject to that Value Added Tax.  I don't think our US Supreme court would have reason to consider such a case because our laws do not add an extra tax to pastries, ice cream, chocolate, etc.

Where you live, maybe.  In New Jersey chocolate is taxed.  But add above a certain amount of flour to that chocolate and it is considered a cookie and therefor not taxed.  Mixed bags of chocolate with flour and without flour have special rules.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Who comes up with these regs!  California does not tax on vegetable and fruit plants. There is always one customer one a busy day who will debate on edibility over pennies. In the interest of customer service relations I told the clerks to let it go. 1st world problems.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Where you live, maybe.  In New Jersey chocolate is taxed.  But add above a certain amount of flour to that chocolate and it is considered a cookie and therefor not taxed.  Mixed bags of chocolate with flour and without flour have special rules.

liuzhou said it better but I was trying to explain why the US Supreme Court is not the Irish High Court so a comparison is not applicable.  Of course state and local laws are different and there are other Federal taxes on some consumables.  Kansas has the same rate of tax on all grocery items as it does on everything else.  A lot of other states have lower or no taxes on  some food or all foods.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

MA has no tax of food , unless it is ' prepared '

if a grocery store has prepared food they make for take out , taxed

a can of Prepared Lasagna , is not.

clothes are not taxed , unless over $100 an item .  I think.

then there is the usual Yearly Tax Holiday Weekend .  go figure.