• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody still got canning tomatoes?

SLB

Wholesalers? Here people go to Flower Mart to save on flowers for weddings and events (gotta get up really early), and I represented a wholesale produce guy. Both sell to public for cash as long as you take quantity. No pick & choose behavior.

4 hours ago, SLB said:

Well.  I was trying to get like 30 pounds.  Not sure it makes any kind of sense to pay NYC greenmarket prices at that volume, you know?

I've definitely seem them selling bags (like 3 or 4 lbs per) at much lower prices - usually they even say for canning. but I'm wondering if you ask about buying a lug and see what kind of deal they'll give you. Getting late though.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Alright, alright.  Maybe I need to haul my butt down to Union Square.  I never get down there really, but maybe I can aim for this Saturday.

ETA:  Stokes is done, I called them in the hopes of just going to them in Jersey.    

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SLB said:

Alright, alright.  Maybe I need to haul my butt down to Union Square.  I never get down there really, but maybe I can aim for this Saturday.

ETA:  Stokes is done, I called them in the hopes of just going to them in Jersey.    

They were the one I was thinking of...oh well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

So, I went down to Union Square today, and sure enough there were quite a few tomatos there!  Stokes did not have the paste tomatoes, but they had plenty others.  I asked if I could come out to the farm to get a lot and they said sure, there'd be some there for another week.

So I don't know what was going on with the email exchange.  Maybe they just meant they aren't doing bulk picking orders anymore.    

And -- gawd, is Union Square a nice market.  My office is kind of near there, and would get there periodically back when we went into the office 'n stuff.  It's been a long time, I've been all and only Inwood through the whole summer.  Inwood's great, and I have two key critical vendors there whom I'm really grateful for.  But it's no Union Square.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 3