• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ICYMI: Serious Eats was Sold Last Week

chromedome

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Any particular reason why now?  As compared with September's email deluge of eggplant recipes?

I appreciate that amongst the sites that re-post past content, it's easy on Serious Eats to scroll down to the bottom and select "Latest" to see newer content.  

Still too many older recipes on the site that are go-tos for me to give up on checking in from time to time. 

All I seem to get are recipe reruns and a lot of recipes at once or it is advertising.  Today I got one promoting Walmart.  My preference state the only email I would like is the recipe of the day.  Any past recipes that I wanted to keep i copied into a separate file.  

I have never noticed "Latest" before so I re-subscribed to see if I could find this next time I get an email from them.  That site sure isn't what it used to be, though.

• Like 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

All I seem to get are recipe reruns and a lot of recipes at once or it is advertising.  Today I got one promoting Walmart.  My preference state the only email I would like is the recipe of the day.  Any past recipes that I wanted to keep i copied into a separate file.  

I have never noticed "Latest" before so I re-subscribed to see if I could find this next time I get an email from them.  That site sure isn't what it used to be, though.

I've never signed up to get emails so I don't know how that compares but I totally agree that the overall site isn't as good as it used to be.  I still check in every 2-3 weeks or so and peruse the recent posts.  I usually read a couple of them. 

They lost me to some extent when they revamped their reviews to only identify top picks and stopped pointing out any "cons," which I usually find to be the most helpful points.  I can't remember if that was around the time of the previous sale or not.  

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I've never signed up to get emails so I don't know how that compares but I totally agree that the overall site isn't as good as it used to be.  I still check in every 2-3 weeks or so and peruse the recent posts.  I usually read a couple of them. 

They lost me to some extent when they revamped their reviews to only identify top picks and stopped pointing out any "cons," which I usually find to be the most helpful points.  I can't remember if that was around the time of the previous sale or not.  

Agreed.  And one other thing I noticed that is a change from the past.  It used to be when someone asked a question in the comments section, someone from Serious Eats would answer.  They no longer do.

There was once another blog I used to follow.  They "welcomed" all comments.  I made a slightly negative one in a very polite way and it was posted.  They removed it.  I wrote to them and told them I had unsubscribed to their blog and why.  They never answered.  Some months later I checked their web site and there was not one negative comment.  Nothing but positives.  I don't trust blogs that don't have negative comments.

• Like 1

I have to speak up.    (Maybe Anna will join me?)   But I am older than God.    Have been cooking for some 60+ years so I've lived and cooked through a whole bunch of trends and gurus and false idols.     When I cook, I look in my pantry and if needing inspiration I may Google those ingredient suspects to see if someone has an outlier way to use them.   I skip the narrative, am totally put off by the verbiage that precedes the recipe, finally scan the recipe and then modify it to our stock and taste.    I have no interest in the blogger's story or philosophy.    Like Joe Friday, '"just the facts, ma'am".    Don't waste my time.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

3 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have to speak up.    (Maybe Anna will join me?)   But I am older than God.    Have been cooking for some 60+ years so I've lived and cooked through a whole bunch of trends and gurus and false idols.     When I cook, I look in my pantry and if needing inspiration I may Google those ingredient suspects to see if someone has an outlier way to use them.   I skip the narrative, am totally put off by the verbiage that precedes the recipe, finally scan the recipe and then modify it to our stock and taste.    I have no interest in the blogger's story or philosophy.    Like Joe Friday, '"just the facts, ma'am".    Don't waste my time.

And don't bother with all those pictures.  We've all seen what onions in a frying pan look like.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am old but some of their narrative especially stories about home cooking, memories - I like, Then again I am not a recipe person so of no value to people who are.  Options - the internet does give us that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I skip the narrative, am totally put off by the verbiage that precedes the recipe, finally scan the recipe and then modify it to our stock and taste.    I have no interest in the blogger's story or philosophy.    Like Joe Friday, '"just the facts, ma'am".    Don't waste my time.

Different strokes, for sure.  The narrative is very likely what inspires me to cook something a little different.  An author's story or philosophy is what draws me in.  I've got lots of recipes I can modify but I love spending the time you can't bear to waste to read other perspectives and take inspiration from them.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
Missing word (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1