• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ICYMI: Serious Eats was Sold Last Week

chromedome

The purchaser was online media purveyor DotDash, the former About.com.

https://www.axios.com/dotdash-simply-recipes-serious-eats-94ee70ac-01ad-41cb-85fa-98426a5daa43.html

• Sad 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One thing i have noticed is that they don't seem to be doing as much "in depth" stuff.  There are often days where you get just recipes, usually 6 or so at a time.  I have also noticed a lot more advertising.  Neither do much for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

One thing i have noticed is that they don't seem to be doing as much "in depth" stuff.  There are often days where you get just recipes, usually 6 or so at a time.  I have also noticed a lot more advertising.  Neither do much for me.

Yeah I noticed this trend recently too, especially scrolling down the front page now you'll see something that looks interesting only to be met with a "sponsored by" heading for the "article". It sometimes feels like the whole world is going in this direction, where some outside influence helps decide what you ingest online in the name of sending some $$$ their way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Ugh I hope this doesn't change the site, I really like Serious Eats for it's balance of useful information without a lot of BS, and lots of great food personalities sharing their knowledge.

Exactly. I always enjoy Ed Levine's interviews. Has not been one recently. I could do without the reader questions and the other bit like Stella on baking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Exactly. I always enjoy Ed Levine's interviews. Has not been one recently. I could do without the reader questions and the other bit like Stella on baking. 

I love Stella's stuff.  There are a lot of sites I'm feeling a bit jaded about.  So many that land in my mail box have things like 53 casseroles!  A little further down on the same post, 23 of our best fish recipes!  Who has the inclination to actually look at all of them.  I don't even open them.  I have started unsubscribing from the worst of them.  I fear serious eats is going down the same slippery slope.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I thought they were sold acouple yrs ago.

Eta they were sold in 2015 to some outfit I never heard of.

Ed sold it but I think this is a new go round

• Like 1

I hope they don't fold it into The Spruce Eats, which is what the About.com food sites devolved into. (And I say that with the disclaimer that some of my material is still on Spruce Eats, leftover from my work at About.com.)  Aside from the fact that they treated several of the long-time About site managers very poorly, it's a really badly designed site. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

And now me.

Any particular reason why now?  As compared with September's email deluge of eggplant recipes?

I appreciate that amongst the sites that re-post past content, it's easy on Serious Eats to scroll down to the bottom and select "Latest" to see newer content.  

Still too many older recipes on the site that are go-tos for me to give up on checking in from time to time. 

Just now, heidih said:

Definitely looks like Ed's interviews are no longer being done.  I'll give the site 15 second perusal but not really worth anything. 

Dang.  I was not aware of that.  His last podcast episode just announced a return from hiatus.  I guess that didn't last!

At the risk of shaming myself publicly, it had never occurred to me consciously until this thread that Serious Eats was a site with a front page and regularly updated content (I suppose some corner of my brain recognized this, but...mental blinkers, right?). It was always a site I searched when I had a specific question or piece of information in mind, as opposed to one I would go to and browse.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Dang.  I was not aware of that.  His last podcast episode just announced a return from hiatus.  I guess that didn't last!

All my life I have heard the phrase "assume makes an ass out of you and me" and yet I continue. I was wrong!  9 days ago I had not seen this.  Sorry!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 3:16 PM, ElsieD said:

Today's Good Eats email has 24 eggplant recipes.

I despise eggplant so was shocked to learn that Oliver Sacks (The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat) after eating it day after day in a kibbutz, had thought it was chicken liver. I love chicken liver.  
Edited to say: I realize now this is an old post!  Oops. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

At the risk of shaming myself publicly, it had never occurred to me consciously until this thread that Serious Eats was a site with a front page and regularly updated content (I suppose some corner of my brain recognized this, but...mental blinkers, right?). It was always a site I searched when I had a specific question or piece of information in mind, as opposed to one I would go to and browse.

Me exactly.   I cherry pick from sites so have no idea of editorial stance or input.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

All my life I have heard the phrase "assume makes an ass out of you and me" and yet I continue. I was wrong!  9 days ago I had not seen this.  Sorry!

Ooofa, not a pleasant voice or manner.  Gold medal to anyone who can through 5min of this.      

That wasn't chicken