• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

One favourite here among the rice eaters is 土豆丝 (tǔ dòu sī ) or slivered potatoes with vinegar.

Several of the recipes on Google include bell peppers. Never! It is matchstick slivers of potato with chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, garlic and vinegar. Often slivered carrot is mixed with the potato, but in lesser quantities. 1 part carrot to three parts potato.

1 large potato

dried chili peppers (to taste) If you can get them, dried "facing heaven chillies" are best

1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp vinegar (most recipes recommend Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) vinegar, but I usually use white rice vinegar, instead)

1 tbsp vegetable cooking oil

spring onion / scallion

cilantro / coriander

salt and white pepper

Peel and clean potatoes (and carrots if using) and cut into matchstick sized slivers. Try to keep them all as near as possible to the same size. I suggest using a cleaver or sharp cook's knife. Food processors or other methods never work for me.

Soak the potato (and carrot) in ice cold water for around ten minutes. Drain and dry with a towel.

Heat your wok or skillet add oil then the chillies and peppercorns. As soon as you detect their fragrance, add the potato slivers and stir fry until they soften.

Add soy sauce. Season with salt and ground white pepper. Add the vinegar, stir and serve garnished with the cilantro / coriander.

liuzhou

liuzhou

One favourite here among the rice eaters is 土豆丝 (tǔ dòu sī ) or slivered potatoes with vinegar.

Several of the recipes on Google include bell peppers. Never! It is matchstick slivers of potato with chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, garlic and vinegar. Often slivered carrot is mixed with the potato, but in lesser quantities. 1 part carrot to three parts potato.

1 large potato

dried chili peppers (to taste) If you can get them, dried "facing heaven chillies" are best

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp vinegar (most recipes recommend Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) vinegar, but I sometimes use white rice vinegar, instead)

spring onion / scallion

cilantro / coriander

salt and white pepper

Peel and clean potatoes (and carrots if using) and cut into matchstick sized slivers. Try to keep them all as near as possible to the same size. I suggest using a cleaver or sharp cook's knife. Food processors or other methods never work for me.

Soak the potato (and carrot) in ice cold water for around ten minutes. Drain and dry with a towel.

Heat you wok or skillet add oil then the chillies and peppercorns. As soon as your detect their fragrance, add the potato and stir fry until they soften.

Add soy sauce. Season with salt and grond white pepper. Add the vinegar, stir and serve garnished with the cilantro / coriander.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 large potato

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp vinegar (most recipes recommend Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) vinegar, but I sometimes use white rice vinegar, instead)

spring onion / scallion

cilantro / coriander

salt and white pepper

Heat you wok or skillet add oil then the chillies and peppercorns. As soon as your detect their fragrance, add the potato and stir fry until they soften.

Add soy sauce. Season with salt and grond white pepper. Add the vinegar, stir and serve garnised with the cilantro / coriander.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 large potato

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

spring onion / scallion

cilantro / coriander

salt and white pepper

Add soy sauce. Season with salt and grond white pepper. Add the vinegar, stir and serve garnised with the cilantro / coriander.