• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Share your favorite potato recipes.

Dante

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

Simple : Mashed Potatoes :

use russets , and do not peel them.  you can ' clean them up '

works well in an iPot :   pressure-steam the potatoes until tender

why ?  your not making potatoes soup !  this keeps a lot more flavor

in the potatoes , and not the water.

pour off the water in the iPot .  add the PS'd potatoes , and use a hand masher to

break up.   let some of the extra moisture evaporate on low-warm , if you like.

heat your milk,   full fat milk.   your butter is soft and at room temp.

when ready , hand mash in your butter first.  add salt and a tiny bit of freshly grated

nutmeg.  just a hint , after you grate off the surface , which has lost its aroma.

then using a hand electric mixer , is you have one, whip and add hot milk to get your

desired fluffiness.    Some like a few tiny lumps in the MP , some do not.  personal choice

cover w a tea towel and keep warm.  the tea towel

absorbs the steam so it does not drip bake onto the mashed potato's surface as it

would if you used an ordinary lib.

Simple . delicious , make sure you make enough as they will disappear .

there are plenty of mighty fine potato Rx's , as noted above

but Russet=Mashed  is at the top of my list.

think about what these potatoes would be like w 

top quality gravy over them

Do you steam your potatoes whole?  Do you remove the skin after the potatoes are cooked?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

I never peel potatoes any more 

clean them yes, but the skin , russets or red bliss add

I feel add a lot of flavor .

for MP @  the iPot 

I do roughly chop them in big chunks 

after cleaning 

then into the steamer basket 

I can tell you this keeps a lot of flavor in the potato

and out of the water .

way before the iPot

I make MPs frequently  

I peeled back then.   then cut the potatoes into smaller and smaller

chunks , to get them boiled sooner.

I noticed after a while , the MP's 

On the plate , were lacking 

I realized I was making , in my haste , potato water.

then kept the skins on , and 

Sooooo Much better , on the plate.

and the skins stay on for  the MP's 

and add a lot of flavor

the iPot , w basket , makes MP very easily.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

I never peel potatoes any more 

clean them yes, but the skin , russets or red bliss add

I feel add a lot of flavor .

for MP @  the iPot 

I do roughly chop them in big chunks 

after cleaning 

then into the steamer basket 

I can tell you this keeps a lot of flavor in the potato

and out of the water .

way before the iPot

I make MPs frequently  

I peeled back then.   then cut the potatoes into smaller and smaller

chunks , to get them boiled sooner.

I noticed after a while , the MP's 

On the plate , were lacking 

I realized I was making , in my haste , potato water.

then kept the skins on , and 

Sooooo Much better , on the plate.

and the skins stay on for  the MP's 

and add a lot of flavor

the iPot , w basket , makes MP very easily.

My mom would always save the potato water for making her gravy. She said it always added that extra "something" to the gravy.

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 9/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, KennethT said:

How about potato masala - with or without dosa....

The dosa potatoes with lime and ketchup from Indianish are way better than I imagined when I read the recipe. (And yes, the ketchup really is essential.)

When I am really lazy, though, I will just steam potato cubes and then finish them in ghee infused with cumin, chili and a bit of turmeric.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I usually make Potatoes Au Gratin for family events but Cook's Country had a recipe for Lighthouse Inn Potatoes that looked interesting and easier to make.  I've made it several times not but found them a little bland.  I'd like to add a little more flavor to them. I was thinking about adding shallots, or maybe thyme.

Have you made them?  What did you think?

Do you have any suggestions for adding flavor to them?

TIA

26 minutes ago, dans said:

I usually make Potatoes Au Gratin for family events but Cook's Country had a recipe for Lighthouse Inn Potatoes that looked interesting and easier to make.  I've made it several times not but found them a little bland.  I'd like to add a little more flavor to them. I was thinking about adding shallots, or maybe thyme.

TIA

I haven't tried the recipe, but, for me the beauty of PAG is it is simply potatoes, cream, salt and a little garlic.  Additions (esp cheese) weaken it.

I know that this is a minority position.

• Like 1

I might wonder how well they're salted if those Lighthouse Potatoes are a little bland. 

But what's stopping you from taking it further - some herbs as you mention (thyme) - and the shallots or onions, which I might sauté in a little butter before folding them in. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I pretty much love potatoes. Fried, roasted with duck fat, in a green chile stew, various potato salads, etc. But I never was a big fan of mashed potatoes. It is possible I was never served good ones. I always found them to be essentially cement and usually not hot enough by the time the cook stopped fussing with them. 

Until now. I've discovered that adding mashed cauliflower to the potatoes is a way of livening the flavor and making the whole dish seem lighter, or more airy.  The flavor, even when using almost a one-to-one ratio is very subtle. It still tastes like mashed potatoes. My daughter and SIL both claim to hate cauliflower, and they really liked this. I just boil peeled potatoes and cauliflower separately. Add salt and pepper, mashed garlic, creme fraiche or light cream and butter and use an immersion blender to whip it up. I use yukon golds instead of russets, because I prefer the flavor. As a final touch I brown some butter and crisp up some fresh sage leaves in it and pour over the before serving. Sometimes a soft goat cheese, if I have some, replaces or is added to the dairy.

Mostly mashed potatoes appear as a side on thanksgiving, and they are more like a required afterthought, a job often given to a teen ager or someone who doesn't cook much. At least in my life it's been that way. And I don't believe my mother ever made mashed potatoes in her life. But this mashed potato cauliflower whip is a main event, and must be given the respect it deserves. I have both potatoes and cauliflower in the crisper today, so this is my plan for dinner as an entree. Sides will be golden cherry tomatoes. basic quick cabbage and carrot pickle, and maybe baby sardines.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I pretty much love potatoes. Fried, roasted with duck fat, in a green chile stew, various potato salads, etc. But I never was a big fan of mashed potatoes. It is possible I was never served good ones. I always found them to be essentially cement and usually not hot enough by the time the cook stopped fussing with them. 

Until now. I've discovered that adding mashed cauliflower to the potatoes is a way of livening the flavor and making the whole dish seem lighter, or more airy.  The flavor, even when using almost a one-to-one ratio is very subtle. It still tastes like mashed potatoes. My daughter and SIL both claim to hate cauliflower, and they really liked this. I just boil peeled potatoes and cauliflower separately. Add salt and pepper, mashed garlic, creme fraiche or light cream and butter and use an immersion blender to whip it up. I use yukon golds instead of russets, because I prefer the flavor. As a final touch I brown some butter and crisp up some fresh sage leaves in it and pour over the before serving. Sometimes a soft goat cheese, if I have some, replaces or is added to the dairy.

Mostly mashed potatoes appear as a side on thanksgiving, and they are more like a required afterthought, a job often given to a teen ager or someone who doesn't cook much. At least in my life it's been that way. And I don't believe my mother ever made mashed potatoes in her life. But this mashed potato cauliflower whip is a main event, and must be given the respect it deserves. I have both potatoes and cauliflower in the crisper today, so this is my plan for dinner as an entree. Sides will be golden cherry tomatoes. basic quick cabbage and carrot pickle, and maybe baby sardines.

To me, the main problem always with mashed potatoes is that they are mashed.  My Mother didn't make them either.   Ed loves them.  His Mother made them.  What else is new?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My late husband's niece made dinner for us one time that in included mashed potatoes.   She whipped them up with a hand mixer for about five minutes.

The serving spoon could stand upright in the bowl.

Can you say 'glue'?

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, dans said:

TIA

I'm fairly generous with garlic and salt in au gratin potatoes. Cream is the only liquid I add.  I wouldn't call them bland at all

I'm not a big potato fan but have grown to want to eat them now and then since I was a kid and hated anything but chips/fries. I generally go for crispy.

But today I made a decent German potato salad that I think will be better when I get proportions right - the main recipe I more or less followed had way too little vinegar but I ended up with a bit much. I also used beef bacon which was nice. Ate it warm and it will be interesting to see how it is cold.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, lindag said:

Can you say 'glue'?

I've done that myself with over confidence with a KitchenAid.  Humbling experience.   And I grew up on a farm that grew lots of potatoes.

I had read that adding cooked rutabaga (swede) to cooked potatoes and then whipping keeps it from going gluey.   I don't think I've ever eaten rutabaga knowingly, but I'm eager to try this experiment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I've done that myself with over confidence with a KitchenAid.  Humbling experience.   And I grew up on a farm that grew lots of potatoes.

I had read that adding cooked rutabaga (swede) to cooked potatoes and then whipping keeps it from going gluey.   I don't think I've ever eaten rutabaga knowingly, but I'm eager to try this experiment.

Or just don't whip them?

• Delicious 1

Like @Darienne, I love latkes and make them often. I think the best ones I ever had were in a restaurant in a Philly suburb — size of a dinner plate, and very thin and lacy.

potatoes Anna and dauphinois are faves, too.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/14/2023 at 5:55 AM, lemniscate said:

had read that adding cooked rutabaga (swede) to cooked potatoes and then whipping keeps it from going gluey. 

A potato ricer or food mill works best for the glue thing! But 'baga's do taste good with mashed potatoes in either case 

On 1/14/2023 at 5:55 AM, lemniscate said:

Adding cooked cauliflower has the same benefit. And with respect to ricers I never found that made a significant difference in the glue department. With the addition of cauliflower the stick blender is easy and effective in achieving a nice light whip. I think I had rutabaga once, that someone put into a soup. I should try it.

On 7/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, lindag said:

My late husband's niece made dinner for us one time that in included mashed potatoes.   She whipped them up with a hand mixer for about five minutes.

Can you say 'glue'?

On 1/14/2023 at 8:55 AM, lemniscate said:

On 1/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, AAQuesada said:

A potato ricer or food mill works best for the glue thing! But 'baga's do taste good with mashed potatoes in either case 

Given the level of food knowledge and cooking expertise exhibited on this forum, I know I risk insulting one or more members by asking this. Apologies in advance.

What kind of potatoes are you folks using? I ask because there are two basic types of potatoes: waxy and floury.

Waxy potatoes are great for roasting. steaming and boiling. However, if you try and mash or whip them (or, as I once did, run them through a food processor), you'll get an express ticket to gluetown. Some examples are  Norland, Kennebec and Pontiac. They are usually red- or white (actually pale tan)-skinned, and the skin is relatively thin.

If you're mashing or whipping, you want a floury potato. Some examples are Russet (often called Idaho or Burbank), Norkotah, King Edward and Maris Piper. They're usually brown skinned. and the skin is kind of rough.

There is a third type, most often called a gold potato (Yukon golds are the most common in North America). These fall between waxy and floury in texture, and, while they can be roasted or mashed with varying success, they excel in gratins, where starch lends them flavor and volume, and the "wax" (it's not really wax) provides structure that fades as the potatoes are cooked.

Of course, there are lots of other potato types: purple, fingerling, petites, etc. Most are of the waxy type; few of them are suitable for mashing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

29 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

What kind of potatoes are you folks using? I

My experience has been that while most potatoes will make an adequate mash, russet (Idaho) potatoes are the best. But the only time I have managed to turn potatoes to glue was when I attempted to “mash” them in the food processor.  

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog