• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Share your favorite potato recipes.

Dante

Hi!

I've recently found myself the recipient of ten pounds of basic russet potatoes.

I love the things but need to use them up before any go bad and I don't want to just fall back on my usual mainstays (mashed, fries, hasselback, potato pancakes,home fries, tofu-and-potatoes-in-miso-gravy) ,and want to avoid getting sick of potatoes as much as possible, so I want to mix it up more.

Does anyone have any particular favourites spotlighting potatoes that they'd like to share? 

I ended up with a giant Russet from grocery delivery. Nuking it now to give it a head start. Part going into cream of spinach and flat leaf parsley soup as the creamy element. The rest roasted or just seasoned well  and incorporated into a tuna salad. Potato cheese soup was a big local favorite in the 70's & 80's. Indian recipes use potato in enticing ways. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/papri-chaat-indian-street-snack-recipe.html is excellent. The below linked post which features cabbage but amplified by @KennethT response might interest you. In terms of storage should I end up with a 5 or 10 pound bag is cool, dry and stay away from where the onions are stored! 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2266184

Also link to Potato bunkers -  I've flown over them in Idaho.  http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/potato-storage-cellars/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not the most unusual, but my favorite are roasted potatoes. For the last few years I follow Kenji's method, but use the spice mixture I've been using for more than a decade.

For the 4 pounds of potatoes the linked recipe calls for I add:

- 2 tsp sweet paprika

- 1 tsp spicy paprika (or another tsp of sweet one plus some dried chili)

- 2 tsp ground cumin

- 1/3 tsp turmeric

- a little MSG or 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)

- 1 to 1.5 tsp salt

- a couple tbsp of bread crumbs

- To finish: pepper, lemon zest and parsley

All those are mixed with the potatoes and oil before baking.

Before serving add pepper, a bit of lemon zest and a handful of parsley.

To be clear, I do not include the garlic and rosemary the recipe calls for in my version. Though the original recipe is great as is if you'r looking for the classic flavor.

PXL_20200905_104650379.thumb.jpg.8cb82003f704fe98f4915a034adf898f.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

I remembered I have two more flavor profiles I love for roasted potatoes.

Following the same base recipe for 2kg of potatoes.

Indian flavored roasted potatoes:

- 3 tsp coriander seeds

- 3 tsp mustard seeds (black)

- 3 tsp cumin seeds

- 3 tsp poppy seeds

- a large pinch of hing (optional)

- chili flakes or chopped fresh chili to taste

- 3 tablespoons finely chopped roasted peanuts

- a bit of MSG or 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)

- 1 to 1.5 tsp salt

- 2 tsp turmeric

- To finish: pepper and cilantro (optional)

- Fry the spices (coriander, mustard, cumin, poppy, hing, chili) in the fat of your choice (ghee is best for this) until popping.

- Strain the seeds and reserve along with the peanuts.

- Mix potatoes with flavored oil, MSG/yeast, salt and turmeric.

- Bake.

- Mix with the seeds and peanuts, add some black pepper, and optionally cilantro.

IMG_20200718_150236.thumb.jpg.fe5120e93cfb02d443ff88e4d091638e.jpg

Greek flavored roasted potatoes:

- 3 tsp paprika

- 3-4 tbsp fresh oregano or 3 tsp dry oregano

- 1/2 tsp cumin

- a bit of MSG or 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)

- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt (depends on the cheese saltiness)

To finish:

- apx 150g dry feta, grated

- zest of one lemon

- apx 6 tbsp chopped dill

- pepper

- Mix potatoes with fat, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, MSG/yeast.

- Bake. 

- Add zest, feta, dill and pepper.

IMG_20190712_211733.thumb.jpg.83f5b53f1881a7f9d6a2abbe1b2a4fd8.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

We've made the following many times for holiday gatherings, and usually use russets. As a matter of fact, we really don't follow the recipe anymore, just go by look and feel!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-11-20-fo-11639-story.html

Mom's Super Potato Casserole

4 white potatoes, boiled and cooled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 tablespoon butter

Peel potatoes and shred coarsely into large bowl. Add cheese and melted butter. Mix lightly. Add green onion, salt, pepper and sour cream. Mix lightly. Turn into baking dish and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

42 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

We've made the following many times for holiday gatherings, and usually use russets. As a matter of fact, we really don't follow the recipe anymore, just go by look and feel!

I like the different dishes together -  thanks! Recipes?? - silly boy. 

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I love the potatoes in Lydia's chicken and potato skillet.    I often use this process outside this dish, i.e., whenever I want great potato saute/roast.

I haven't made that recipe in years, but for a while it was in frequent rotation. My husband is now the chicken-roasting person. He just makes a bed of cut potatoes and lets the whole chicken cook on top of them in the oven. Works, and I get a night off. The potatoes are my favorite part. If I am just roasting potatoes I really like a bit of duck fat. In the summer months though I really love a room temp potato salad. I have one I'm crazy for this year. 

• Like 2

If you can get your hands on some salt cod either brandade from France or any number of Portuguese recipes are all terrific. 

On a completely different note, there’s a great Chinese recipe that combines fried potatoes, peppers and eggplants. 

https://omnivorescookbook.com/di-san-xian-recipe/

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Delicious 1

Consider making them the star. Baked Potato is a rustic thing of wonder. I often bake a few little ones for work lunches. Rub with oil and salt, bake for 1 hour at 180c. 

Top with whatever you fancy. Cheese & Bacon, just sour cream as a side. Baked beans if you are a heathen like me. 

If you are happy to go to the lower depths of hell... I put canned tuna on mine 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Two favorites:

1. Potato skins. Bake several small gold potatoes. Cut in half and scoop out the insides, leaving at least 1/4 inch in the skin. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt, and broil until golden. Fill with grated cheese, bacon or chopped ham if desired. Broil again just until cheese melts and is bubbly. Top with chopped chives or scallions, and serve with sour cream.

2. Potato and sausage bake. Cut up kielbasa or smoked sausage and spread out on sheet pan. Cut up potatoes in bite-sized pieces, along with onions and, if you like them, peppers (either the dreaded bell peppers, or your choice). Toss them all with olive oil and scatter them in and amongst the sausage chunks. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, maybe some chives; roast at 400 until potatoes are tender.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

One favourite here among the rice eaters is 土豆丝 (tǔ dòu sī ) or slivered potatoes with vinegar.

Several of the recipes on Google include bell peppers. Never! It is matchstick slivers of potato with chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, garlic and vinegar. Often slivered carrot is mixed with the potato, but in lesser quantities. 1 part carrot to three parts potato.

1 large potato

dried chili peppers (to taste) If you can get them, dried "facing heaven chillies" are best

1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp vinegar (most recipes recommend Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) vinegar, but I usually use white rice vinegar, instead)

1 tbsp vegetable cooking oil

spring onion / scallion

cilantro / coriander

salt and white pepper

Peel and clean potatoes (and carrots if using) and cut into matchstick sized slivers. Try to keep them all as near as possible to the same size. I suggest using a cleaver or sharp cook's knife. Food processors or other methods never work for me.

Soak the potato (and carrot) in ice cold water for around ten minutes. Drain and dry with a towel.

Heat your wok or skillet add oil then the chillies and peppercorns. As soon as you detect their fragrance, add the potato slivers and stir fry until they soften.

Add soy sauce. Season with salt and ground white pepper. Add the vinegar, stir and serve garnished with the cilantro / coriander.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Simple : Mashed Potatoes :

use russets , and do not peel them.  you can ' clean them up '

works well in an iPot :   pressure-steam the potatoes until tender

why ?  your not making potatoes soup !  this keeps a lot more flavor

in the potatoes , and not the water.

pour off the water in the iPot .  add the PS'd potatoes , and use a hand masher to

break up.   let some of the extra moisture evaporate on low-warm , if you like.

heat your milk,   full fat milk.   your butter is soft and at room temp.

when ready , hand mash in your butter first.  add salt and a tiny bit of freshly grated

nutmeg.  just a hint , after you grate off the surface , which has lost its aroma.

then using a hand electric mixer , is you have one, whip and add hot milk to get your

desired fluffiness.    Some like a few tiny lumps in the MP , some do not.  personal choice

cover w a tea towel and keep warm.  the tea towel

absorbs the steam so it does not drip bake onto the mashed potato's surface as it

would if you used an ordinary lib.

Simple . delicious , make sure you make enough as they will disappear .

there are plenty of mighty fine potato Rx's , as noted above

but Russet=Mashed  is at the top of my list.

think about what these potatoes would be like w 

top quality gravy over them

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I’m a bit late to the game, but here are a few more ideas. I am kind of a potato nut and make them in a lot of ways.

I saw gratin mentioned above. This is my favorite recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/classic-potato-gratin-recipe.html

What about a frittata with potatoes or a Spanish Tortilla?  (And what about patatas bravas?)

This weekend I made “Polpettone” from the Liguria area. It is not a meatloaf but a potato pie with green beans and potatoes. It would be good with a poached egg on top. Here is a recipe in English. https://www.asmallkitcheningenoa.com/polpettone-potatoes-and-green-beans-tart/?fbclid=IwAR1aea4iWmHx_gYIrPim5btaHTdZjy3vuIbevGuKBGaaTYZLTNgq4li9PaU

In Italy they also make “Gatto’ di Patate” (Really just gateau!) It’s also a potato pie with cheese – can be anything from mozzarella to smoked scamorza - butter, milk and eggs. Also ham, pancetta or salami.  Baked with bread crumbs on top. I’m afraid I don’t have a recipe in English, but this one looks pretty close: https://www.christinascucina.com/potato-ham-and-mozzarella-bake/

You can also look up pizza di patate (the Pugliese version) and you’ll find other variations of the same concept.

Speaking of pizza, sliced potatoes and rosemary are delicious on white pizza! With or without cheese. Usually without.

Colcannon is another favorite around here. The Irish mash with cabbage, like this one: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/colcannon  

Be sure to have awesome butter for this one to melt on it. 😊

Speaking of cabbage and potatoes, Pizzoccheri is another dish from the Valtellina area. It is buckwheat pasta ribbons made with potatoes, onion, cabbage and sometimes also a green leaf vegetable, with a really strong cheese called Casera or Bitto, but maybe something like Fontina would work, and butter here too. This is a very stick to your ribs dish meant for cold weather!

There are other versions of pasta with potatoes around too, but I don’t like it so can’t recommend any.

But I do love potato-filled ravioli, called Tortelli Mugellani. They are like giant tortellini usually served with meat sauce. 

I sometimes make potatoes and peppers. You start onions and peppers in a pan and then add potatoes and cook through, maybe getting them crunchy on the bottom. I’ve seen people do this in the oven too. 

I also love roasted potatoes, and will roast a million different ways, certainly not as creative/delicious as Shains, but Tuscan style would be rosemary, sage, garlic with the skin on, and sometimes fennel, especially if served with duck.

There is also octopus and potato salad, or oven baked octopus with potatoes, olives, and tomato.

Twice-baked potato boats (The one where you bake them, scoop out, mix with cheese and sour cream etc and then bake again?) Fried potato croquettes? Tater Tots? Potato bread rolls? (My husband uses potato in his Focaccia Pugliese.) Samosas? Classic, Italian or German Potato salad?

Sorry, I went a little overboard. 😜

Edited by ambra
clarity! (log)
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, ambra said:

But I do love potato-filled ravioli, called Tortelli Mugellani. They are like giant tortellini usually served with meat sauce.

😜

So...Italian pierogi? Cool.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

these are DW's favorite - actually just one among many favorites...

essentially home fries - can be done with any variety - these are small red Pontiac.

sliced, par-boiled ~8-10 minutes

pan fried in very little olive oil.

individually spaced and flipped - which makes the dish impractical for large quantities - this for two:

HF_combo1.jpg

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1