• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Beefer - The Hottest Ceramic Griller Ever? Maybe.

weinoo

44 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Is it just a salamander?

Not according to the manufacturerer:

Not only because we invented the first 1,500°F Grill for your home, but because we also offer plenty of durable accessories that make a Beefer a terrific pizza oven, a luxury burger roaster, a fabulous fish grill and much more. The Beefer is a complete system for gourmets and not just any grill. Welcome to the world famous Beefer Family.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

That's what I'm thinking. Except I worry about 1500F inside my kitchen.

The flame temperature of a well-tuned gas burner is something like 3500°F, what's the big deal :P ? (As a real side note - I wonder how/where they are measuring that temperature.)

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added emoji to make is clear this is a joke... (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

30 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I think the pic misleadingly implies you can use it indoors.

The Amazon listing specifically says indoor and outdoor, whatever that means in reality anyway.

Edit: Also, is that the best name they could come up with? The Beefer? Am I the only one who has ever heard of the word beef used as a verb before?

Edited by Yiannos (log)

9 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Edit: Also, is that the best name they could come up with? The Beefer? Am I the only one who has ever heard of the word beef used as a verb before?

Well, I mean... better than "The Brussels Sprouter." Apparently they are only interested in carnivorous uses of their gadget, but I bet you could "hack" it to cook vegetables too!! Their marketing department needs to get on that!

• Haha 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Maybe in the US 😉

In Germany its a thing for quite some years now (after all, the original is a German product, which also explains the interesting name). All my neighbors have one, either the original or a copy (heck, even Aldi sells them for less that 200 bucks). There are gas and electric versions available, too ...

But noone I know would ever consider using a beefer indoors. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

The Amazon listing specifically says indoor and outdoor, whatever that means in reality anyway.

Oh, didn't see that.  I'm confused.  it's ok to bring a 20lb (bbq) propane tank indoors? Or in my case, if you use a propane stove, disconnect the line and plug it into this baby? Or get a separate line for the occasional use?  Who would do that? 

That wasn't chicken

47 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Am I the only one who has ever heard of the word beef used as a verb before?

I've heard it as a gerund as a synonym for complaining.  As in "she's always beefing about something"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yiannos said:

Also, is that the best name they could come up with? The Beefer? Am I the only one who has ever heard of the word beef used as a verb before?

Sorry to be the pedantic linguistic bore again, but "beef" has been a verb since the mid-19th century in writing, so must have been in use in the spoken language even longer.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sorry to be the pedantic linguistic bore again, but "beef" has been a verb since the mid-19th century in writing, so must have been in use verbaly even longer.

So like, "Pardon me good sir, knowest thou where one might find a rest stop for my carriage, I have a need to beef"?

16 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

So like, "Pardon me good sir, knowest thou where one might find a rest stop for my carriage, I have a need to beef"?

The nearest branch of Ye Olde McD's may well suffice to satisfy your urgent needs. It is said among the sages of olde that the facilities in such hostelries are purged and blessed by Druid priests every hour to prevent the spread of plague, sexual perversion and general lunacy.

I'd give the "food" a miss though! As Chaucer said "What is this *%^$?"

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, gfweb said:

amazon has cheaper versions of similar items too.

I'm reminded of the Big Easy Oil free Fryer (or whatever it was called). Anybody still using one?

Anna and I gave ours away up north to Max Burt where we get our meat when we are in Manitoulin.

• Like 5