• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Dairy Milk Powder

Tri2Cook

I need a vegan-friendly non-dairy milk powder. No other restrictioms other than it not be flavored (no vanilla, chocolate, nut milks that are taste forward of the nut involved, etc.). I know the options, I just don't use them enough to know what the good brands are. Available in Canada preferred but not a deal breaker.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

21 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

What are the options? I’m working on cocoa mixes and I know people will want dairy free. 

As far as I know, soy, rice, coconut, oat, potato and hemp. Nut milks tend to taste like the nut they're made from, which I don't want. The potato and hemp milk powders, I'm completely unfamiliar with but they exist. Oat milk is pretty tasty but I've never tried the commercial powders. I haven't found a coconut milk powder that doesn't taste like coconut so it won't work. Realistically, I'm looking at my best options from soy and rice with oat as a solid possibility but I didn't want to close off other options if they come with a good recommendation.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Sorry I can’t help with your question.

That's ok... it's starting to look like nobody else can either. :D Maybe I need to go make an account on vGullet or whatever the vegan version of here is for that information. eGulleters tend to not be shy with their recommendations if they have one so maybe there's just not a lot of vegan milk powder use going on here. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this helps or not but my customers overwhelmingly choose Almond #1 and Oat #2 with Soy a distant 3rd.  Based on liquid not powdered milks in coffee based drinks.  I'm a dedicated cow juice drinker myself.

None are really as neutral as milk is. My instinct is Oat would be least distracting as a base for other flavors but brands matter as well

2 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I don't know if this helps or not but my customers overwhelmingly choose Almond #1 and Oat #2 with Soy a distant 3rd.  Based on liquid not powdered milks in coffee based drinks.  I'm a dedicated cow juice drinker myself.

None are really as neutral as milk is. My instinct is Oat would be least distracting as a base for other flavors but brands matter as well

@AAQuesada, when you say coffee based drinks, can you be more specific? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for an alternative to half 'n' half (for hot coffee). What kind of almond milk do you use? I've tried Oatly Barista Blend, which was good. But I still prefer half 'n' half.

This would probably be easier if I'd thought to mention what I'm up to. I need something vegan with as neutral as possible a taste to replace dry milk powder for making vegan versions of white and milk chocolates. It will go in the refiner with sugar, cocoa butter and, in the case of the milk chocolate, cocoa nibs. I held out against this idea for a long time, I'm still unwilling to venture into sugar free, but I've been convinced to take a stab at vegan. I did a white chocolate once using Better Than Milk soy milk powder and was happy with the result but that stuff's become difficult to get my hands on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@AAQuesada, when you say coffee based drinks, can you be more specific? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for an alternative to half 'n' half (for hot coffee). What kind of almond milk do you use? I've tried Oatly Barista Blend, which was good. But I still prefer half 'n' half.

Anything and everything -espresso based drinks and of course if someone wants some for their coffee. We mostly use Pacific brand -barista blend, Califa is also very good brand but doesn't hold foam quite as well. They aren't quite as rich as half n half.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

This would probably be easier if I'd thought to mention what I'm up to. I need something vegan with as neutral as possible a taste to replace dry milk powder for making vegan versions of white and milk chocolates. It will go in the refiner with sugar, cocoa butter and, in the case of the milk chocolate, cocoa nibs. I held out against this idea for a long time, I'm still unwilling to venture into sugar free, but I've been convinced to take a stab at vegan. I did a white chocolate once using Better Than Milk soy milk powder and was happy with the result but that stuff's become difficult to get my hands on.

Can this be cross posted in Pastry & Baking? You might get better answers there, but my suggestion would be Oat or Rice non dairy milk powder just to limit any potential allergens from Almond/soy.

So I'm just an ex food sales person and have been around quite a few vegetarians and vegans both professionally and leisurely. I'm not a cooking professional, so not sure if this helpful..

Looking at vegan recipes, I see unroasted cashewnuts being used as a canvas a lot. I second @AAQuesada that almonds and oats are generally more popular than soy. Next to health issues, quite a few people do detect a soy taste and dislike it in my experience.

@Tri2Cook Have you seen and perhaps tried MCT and vegan protein powders? I know they can be very pricy, but the MCT powder can have a subdued or perhaps even absent coconut flavour.  Not familiar with this product, but I see it being recommend as a milk powder sub.

Edit: Now that I'm further down the rabbithole, I see it containing lecithine and silicium dioxide. That might be inconvenient and I also see ones that do contain lactose. Not my best suggestion, sorry.

The vegan protein powders come to my mind, because I saw an item on tv about a macaron baker that uses potato protein.

Some of this stuff is specificly blended for a neutral flavour. I see pumpkin protein being mentioned as such for instance, brown rice and quinoa too. Pea protein isolate seems common for bulk.

Aqua faba has been getting noticed a lot past few years. I see this being advised as a dairy substite as well, although it's main recommendation is as an egg replacement. And out of your scope, because it's not a powdered product. My bad...

Oh and on rice, I would like to say that I've disliked it so far. I've tried rice milk, chocolate rice milk and solid chocolate. Have found them a bit devoid of flavour and to skinny in texture. These were all white rice products to best of my knowledge and obviously quality can vary a lot. Perhaps it's not just a health marketing to use brown rice?

Carob could be an interesting choice too, as this is also being used as a chocolate substitute. It won't pass for the true chocolate lover, but it could boost the chocolate flavour in a way malt does too?

Edited by CeeCee
added something (log)