• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating "Wrong"

5 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Where do we begin with this? Agree on the spoons, apples, not mangoes - perfect cold, pineapple too.  Ketchup on fries is the top condi.  Off the shelf it has to be heinz or I might go naked.  Agree on deconstructed falafels.  The breading makes the pita redundant.  Dry cereal ok.  Would try cornflakes and peanut butter (esp if I was stoned) but could maybe use a savory or sweet extra.  Hmm, I'm not sure which is your greatest crime, the freezer burnt ice cream or the oxidized wine? 🤪 

I think perhaps the title should be "eating quirks" - just how we roll as individuals

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beebs said:

My DH eats bananas like a crazy person & really, really wrong. Instead of peeling or cutting it like normal people, he breaks it in half. With his bare hands. It never squishes either, it just breaks cleanly across.

I tried it and was surprised the banana didn't get squished, but I'm not a convert. I'll stick with my own off-beat method.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2020 at 9:20 AM, liuzhou said:

Let's not forget my predilection for eating cheddar cheese with banana bread. Nothing “wrong“ with that. Remarkably sensible. Perfectly normal.

My SO who loves cheese and banana will definitely try this. Back in the day, he experimented with things like banana omelet. Not plantains, the cavendish variety which was the only one available here at that time.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:30 AM, shain said:

I like dipping french fries in hummus (actually it's my favorite dip for them, mayo is second, a drizzle of lemon third, and ketchup a very far fourth). I won't say it's unagreeable, just unpopular.

There was a hummus restaurant I used to frequent whose hummus I found to be improved with the pickles they served. I'd often drizzle some pickle juice on it. I'd also often have their massabacha and mix into it actual pickle slices, and often also pita pieces. The pita soaked some of the sauce, becoming juicy and the pickles added texture and flavor. I miss this place. No other hummus I know of benefits from an application of pickles, but I'll still sometimes mix pita pieces into massabacha.

This reminds of the time nachos and guacamole got hip here. Guacamole became available frozen and a bar we went to after work had this on their menu. As I don't like nachos very much, I asked for guac with my fries. People thought it to be weird, but I find it to be delicious and do it at home with fresh guac if possible.

I will definitely try hummus too now!

Speaking of hummus, my favourite hummus supplier in Amsterdam has one with mango chutney and it's delicious! We do this at home now as well.

• Like 2