• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating "Wrong"

Hey this is a judgement free zone! Like someone already said, there's no really wrong way as long as your enjoying yourself! 

Cultural mistakes are a different kettle of fish. 

I also do the sequential eating but I'm not as bad as I was as a kid. And even I know I did that "wrong" I start with my least favourite thing on the plate and work my way up to the favourite thing - by which time favourite thing is no longer at its best and usually cold 😬

Sauce / Ketchup  is for dipping only! I also do not understand smotherers. Messy. 

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

They are all very nice people and no where near as judgmental as I am. None of them would ever criticize any dish made by another, bad as it might be. (And yes, I find that really irritating.) The great grandparents were farmers in northern CA and the land is still in the family. They have an annual picnic on the land with extended relatives at Easter time, which really is a potluck. Someone defrosts a deer and brings stew. Awful. There are at least six macaroni salads. Mostly awful. A rattlesnake often shows up and sometimes get shot.

My husband's immediate family are a little different. They are physicists and mathematicians and engineers and mostly vegetarians and all democrats. With the exception of my husband I don't believe any of his siblings have ever been to New York and none of them would turn down a toasted raisin bagel. As a family in the late sixties they hiked the Napali Coast Trail in Kauai. Naked. Mom, Dad and four kids.

Ahhh - the mishpucha. Often a reason for moving far away.  But barring that, often a good reason to do some judging - I do it all the time.

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Let's not forget my predilection for eating cheddar cheese with banana bread. Nothing “wrong“ with that. Remarkably sensible. Perfectly normal.

I often serve cheese with my homemade banana bread - toasted - for breakfast. Nothing wrong with that. It's the corn on the side...

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I don't believe I eat anything "wrong."  Because I don't believe there is any wrong way to eat; oh, there are disgusting ways to eat, to be sure. But that's not wrong, that's just disgusting.

Completely agree. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

Unless it (the salad) is the main course, obviously.  And I cannot lie but sometimes I will serve the salad as a side dish with the main course.

In Australia the salad is always served either as a side dish to accompany the main course or on the plate as part of the main course. When we are tourists in the US, it is often a stand-off with the server as we will not have the salad until the main course arrives while the server won't deliver the main course until the salad is eaten.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

It took me till well into adulthood before the first time I ever ate a salad this way, and then realizing that this is the civilized way to eat a salad.

If by civil you mean healthier I agree.  The acid and roughage play digestive moving those blocks of cheese, meat and assorted saturated fats along.  I don't know if salad (at the end) was ever proven beneficial but based on my experience I know it was/is.  As well, just knowing it was coming inspired us to leave room and eat a bit less of the heavier mains. 

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

2 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

If by civil you mean healthier I agree.  The acid and roughage play digestive moving those blocks of cheese, meat and assorted saturated fats along.  I don't know if salad (at the end) was ever proven beneficial but based on my experience I know it was/is.  As well, just knowing it was coming inspired us to leave room and eat a bit less of the heavier mains. 

Yes - and it also acts as a palate cleanser, for that cheese course and dessert course to follow!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes - and it also acts as a palate cleanser, for that cheese course and dessert course to follow!

Oui, except salad was often the final course in our crib.  Nous Bourgeois didn't have cheese and desert every night comme vous les aristocrates 🥂     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

Let's see...

I like small utensils - small plates, dessert forks, teaspoons. I'll use them whenever I'm eating with family. It's regular sized spoons that I dislike most, I find them too large for my (not at all small) mouth.

I don't like biting into fruits. Mostly stone fruits and apples. I'll usually slice them in hand and eat slice by slice. Bananas are fine to bite interested, so are figs.

I really dislike cold mango, I also prefer pineapples to be at room temperature.

I like dipping french fries in hummus (actually it's my favorite dip for them, mayo is second, a drizzle of lemon third, and ketchup a very far fourth). I won't say it's unagreeable, just unpopular.

There was a hummus restaurant I used to frequent whose hummus I found to be improved with the pickles they served. I'd often drizzle some pickle juice on it. I'd also often have their massabacha and mix into it actual pickle slices, and often also pita pieces. The pita soaked some of the sauce, becoming juicy and the pickles added texture and flavor. I miss this place. No other hummus I know of benefits from an application of pickles, but I'll still sometimes mix pita pieces into massabacha.

I dislike falafel sandwiches. I prefer it plated, using a pita to grab some sauces or vegetables and construct one biters.

I like semi melted ice cream. I also love ice cream that was partially deforested then refrozen, giving it some pleasently crisp ice crystals (I won't do this on purpose though).

I will never mix cereal with milk. I eat them in two bowls, grab a teaspoon full of cereal and briefly dip it in milk.

I also like cornflakes and peanut butter sandwiches, but I haven't had one in years.

I prefer overly oxidized wine.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

Out of all these interesting replies - my take away - eat what you like as you like  - life is too short,  Someone  said they ate their least favorite things first. Maybe old lady curmudgeon  but I only eat what I like.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shain said:

Let's see...

I like small utensils - small plates, dessert forks, teaspoons. I'll use them whenever I'm eating with family. It's regular sized spoons that I dislike most, I find them too large for my (not at all small) mouth.

I don't like biting into fruits. Mostly stone fruits and apples. I'll usually slice them in hand and eat slice by slice. Bananas are fine to bite interested, so are figs.

I really dislike cold mango, I also prefer pineapples to be at room temperature.

I like dipping french fries in hummus (actually it's my favorite dip for them, mayo is second, a drizzle of lemon third, and ketchup a very far fourth). I won't say it's unagreeable, just unpopular.

There was a hummus restaurant I used to frequent whose hummus I found to be improved with the pickles they served. I'd often drizzle some pickle juice on it. I'd also often have their massabacha and mix into it actual pickle slices, and often also pita pieces. The pita soaked some of the sauce, becoming juicy and the pickles added texture and flavor. I miss this place. No other hummus I know of benefits from an application of pickles, but I'll still sometimes mix pita pieces into massabacha.

I dislike falafel sandwiches. I prefer it plated, using a pita to grab some sauces or vegetables and construct one biters.

I like semi melted ice cream. I also love ice cream that was partially deforested then refrozen, giving it some pleasently crisp ice crystals (I won't do this on purpose though).

I will never mix cereal with milk. I eat them in two bowls, grab a teaspoon full of cereal and briefly dip it in milk.

I also like cornflakes and peanut butter sandwiches, but I haven't had one in years.

I prefer overly oxidized wine.

Where do we begin with this? Agree on the spoons, apples, not mangoes - perfect cold, pineapple too.  Ketchup on fries is the top condi.  Off the shelf it has to be heinz or I might go naked.  Agree on deconstructed falafels.  The breading makes the pita redundant.  Dry cereal ok.  Would try cornflakes and peanut butter (esp if I was stoned) but could maybe use a savory or sweet extra.  Hmm, I'm not sure which is your greatest crime, the freezer burnt ice cream or the oxidized wine? 🤪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

I've been thinking about this topic for a couple of days .....agonizing, trying to find some weirdness in me.  Then I realized that I was having a hard time because I think everything I do is normal 🤷‍♀️, but when I stepped back and analyzed, I realized...I was wrong 🤣.

When eating spaghetti and red sauce, I don't like the pasta all mixed in with the sauce.  I like a pile of pasta with sauce on top, leaving some of the edges plain.  But if eating say, an Alfredo sauce on pasta, I like it all mixed together.

I peel my tomatoes --however, me and @Kim Shook truly are the most normal for doing this--the non-peelers are wrong.

I like the skin that forms on top of pudding.  

That's it for now.  I feel cleansed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I peel my tomatoes --however, me and @Kim Shook truly are the most normal for doing this--the non-peelers are wrong.

I like the skin that forms on top of pudding.  

That's it for now.  I feel cleansed.

Your tomato peeling thing just cracks me up - my dad's flavorful 'maters had a tough skin - my comfort zone. Pudding skin - ooohhh SO good - Jello brand chocolate especially. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, shain said:

Let's see...

Small hands and neurological issue - at home I prefer small as well. Out is usually chopsticks or hand held ;) 

fork.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

My DH eats bananas like a crazy person & really, really wrong. Instead of peeling or cutting it like normal people, he breaks it in half. With his bare hands. It never squishes either, it just breaks cleanly across.

I tear off & eat part of the pizza crust first, then the pointy part.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donk79 said:

Until reading this thread, I used to think of myself as a fairly nonjudgmental person.  Is that wrong? 😉

Do you mean that it's wrong to be nonjudgmental  or that you are wrong about thinking of yourself that way?

Personally I think this thread is kinda silly. There's an awfully wide spectrum from personal taste to quirky to weird to just plain crazy.

• Like 1