• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating "Wrong"

I was curious, I have decided to create this topic (that has probably been discussed before) because I have been deemed a weirdo by my husband for the way that I eat certain foods. 

It started innocently the other night when I told my son he was eating his Lasagne "weird". He eats Lasagne by scraping the top level of cheese/bechamel off and eating that first, then consumes the rest. My husband said I had no right to say that because I roll the whole top layer of cheesy pasta off the lasagne, put it to the side and eat that last 😂. He just eats the layers in one spoon like a normy. 

He also brought up the fact I eat what he considers 'hand pies' with a spoon. Eating the inner then consuming the pastry shell bare / empty instead of just biting the whole thing out of the paper. 

So what are your weird food eating kinks? Peel the skin off a jacket potato first? Eat the fish before the batter? Burn toast on purpose? I know I can't be the only "weirdo". 😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry
Spelling (log)
  • Like 5

I consider myself the normal one. It is my husband and son who are weird. When eating a plate of food, I will eat some of each item throughout, but they eat only one item at a time, such as green beans first, potato second and finally the meat, no mixing or tasting the other items. So weird!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Oh, I have quite a few I'm afraid.

Always take the first bite of the end of fries without sauce and then procede to dip. It just doesn't feel right otherwise. Also, I really really like my sauce on the side. Those triangular paper bags with fries you see in The Netherlands, doused in mayonaise and other sauces? Yeah, totally not my cup of tea. And I always like to eat fries with my hands, cutlery takes away from the experience imho. Not Covid19 proof nowadays, so I eat fries at home. I even have an extra water bottle and soap with me on trips, just in case we find something to eat on the spot. Fries don't travel well in my opinion, although I like that limp slightly brown ones too. If they come out of the oil that way, not by steaming in some bag on the way home.

Snacks that go along with fries here, can be things like kroketten and bitterballen. Before I turned into somewhat of a proper adult, I preferred ketchup instead of mustard with these snacks. When eating it on bread, I make sure I evenly distribute the crispy crust, salpicon and mustard. For the sake of nostalgia, I will sometimes dot a bit of ketchup on as well when being at home.

It's not just fries that I don't like already sauced up. I collected quite a collection of plates with built in sections. So much that whenever we go (thrift) shopping, I just have to point and smile "vakjes" to my SO for him to look at me in a certain way. As he likes wooden stuff, the best response is to be had when I find a wooden plate like that.

Speaking of plates, I don't like square plates much. Or blueish turquoise ones for that matter.

I dislike butter on my bread, so I go for mayonaise. As my sandwiches are mostly saviourly it's not much of a problem. When I do opt for chocolate sprinkles (as is common here), I either leave it out (and make a mess) or decadently smear some jam/jelly on it first. This is my Dutch hotel/B&B breakfast when I'm away from home and I pretend it's sacher style if apricot jam is available.

The dried out ends of hard cheese? If possible, I like to avoid. My cheese hunks can get into a half moon shape, until my SO the cheeselover steps in and eats it into a straight shape again.

While eating out pizza, I leave the crust last. If not right after eating most of the pizza, I take it home in a napkin and eat it later.  Eating readymade pizza at home never evokes this.

Even though I drink my tea and coffee generally sans sugar or milk, I like a spoon and stirr it anyway. It is also convenient to press out as much liquid as possible from the tea bag. If no spoon is around, I will slap the teabag between the sides of the cup for a bit. This annoys certain people.

I almost never prefer a spoon and will use a fork when possible (I like chopsticks too btw). Love forks with at least four and preferably long tines iso of simpler and shorter three-tined ones.

@robirdstx I used to be like that with the traditional meat and veg meals. In Dutch this gets shortened to avg sometimes, aardappels (potatoes), vlees (meat) and groenten (veg). Potatoes seem to be thought of as not a proper vegetable around here, it falls into the rice and pasta category more so.

Now I love my potatoes, so I ate those first. Veg followed and meat was last. I like to mix up the order now, so perhaps there is still hope for your lot 😋

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

When I eat corn on the cob I eat in "rows" along the length of the cob, as opposed to around the cob, or random bites here and there. The second I can handle if I'm eating with someone who does that; the third drives me nuts.

Like @CeeCee, ketchup or any other dipping sauce must be on the side, not on top of the food to be dipped. This extends to A-1 sauce for hamburger steaks.

When I'm served a salad before a meal, I'll eat maybe half of it, then continue to take a bite periodically with meat and veggies/potatoes from the main plate.

There are certain foods which should always be served with cornbread (pork chops, a big pot of beans, chili, fresh garden veggies), and others which should be served with biscuits (fried chicken, baked ham), and others with rolls (turkey and dressing, roast beef). Rolls and biscuits can interchange to some degree, but cornbread stands alone, except that one can eat either cornbread OR biscuits with sorghum molasses.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hmm, too many to list.  Off the top of my head, for junk, staple stuff,  I won't accept anything other than whole milk and sugar in my coffee.  No half n half, 2%, low-fat, creamers or other sweeteners. I'd rather be tired all day.  

I can't eat a burger w out some sort of veg - let, tom, pickle, onion, something, or I pass.  Hot dogs I must have a bite of each end first.  

In multi ingredient dishes like pasta I work hard to pack every ingredient on the fork for every bite or max enjoyment can't be reached.   (Those who eat 1 section at a time as reported above, really bother me like in an ocd kind of way).   

I can't eat pizza cold or even lukewarm.  If out I'll get a re-heat. On takeout/delivery the toaster oven is ready and waiting.   

• Like 4

That wasn't chicken

I skew to normal. My only oddity, and my dad has it too, is preferring a wide bowl versus  flat plate where things can go flying off the edge or have to be chased around. I think it comes from growing up with dishes that had a slight bowl shape and a wide rim. You could set your bread on the rim. Doubled as soup bowls. "She who shall not be named"  pitched them so no images.  She thinks we are barbarians - "you eat like a dog"... Sorta like this  https://www.amazon.com/Dauerhaft-Dinnerware-Porcelain-Serving-Restaurant/dp/B0732QZNPS  My husband and I also tended to do a tart salad after entree which some find wierd. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

I skew to normal. My only oddity, and my dad has it too, is preferring a wide bowl versus  flat plate where things can go flying off the edge or have to be chased around. I think it comes from growing up with dishes that had a slight bowl shape and a wide rim. You could set your bread on the rim. Doubled as soup bowls. "She who shall not be named"  pitched them so no images.  She thinks we are barbarians - "you eat like a dog"... Sorta like this  https://www.amazon.com/Dauerhaft-Dinnerware-Porcelain-Serving-Restaurant/dp/B0732QZNPS  My husband and I also tended to do a tart salad after entree which some find wierd. 

I thought I had nothing to contribute on this thread, but I stand corrected...I share both of these. I eat most things from a shallow bowl/soup plate, when given the opportunity, and also prefer my salad after the main course.

I also shocked my mother once by requesting chopsticks to eat my salad with. When she served ice cream for dessert she snorted "You gonna eat that with chopsticks, too?" so I did. :P

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

I also shocked my mother once by requesting chopsticks to eat my salad with. When she served ice cream for dessert she snorted "You gonna eat that with chopsticks, too?" so I did. :P

Oh I went through the chopstick phase at about 14. Drove the Euro parents batty. They were cheap green plastic ones from a tourist shop at a place called Ports O' Call. The only rice my mom cooked was Uncle Ben's Converted which she did pilaf style - so very individual grains. Maybe it was a subversive dieting attempt. I did lose weight I could not afford to...The rebellious anorexic years - just had to explain that to a friend with a teen.

And I can't bring myself to eat my soup with a regular metal soup spoon anymore.  Has to be one of these cheapos 

spoon.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, heidih said:

After my mom passed, no one wanted her "good" china because the dinner plates were perfectly flat. How do you put gravy on your mashed potatoes without worrying about the gravy pouring over the side of the plate? We learned to put the mashed potatoes dead center on the plate and pile everything else around it like a dam to keep the gravy at bay.

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I thought I had nothing to contribute on this thread, but I stand corrected...I share both of these. I eat most things from a shallow bowl/soup plate, when given the opportunity, and also prefer my salad after the main course.

I also liked to eat my salad last, as well. Restaurants just ruin it by serving the salad as the first course. Heathens! xD

Let's also veer off into related dining territory by saying I like ketchup on my hot dogs.* So there!

*I remembered while grocery shopping last week that as kids, we didn't eat much fish except for the typical fish sticks. I put ketchup on those, as well.:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Let's also veer off into related dining territory by saying I like ketchup on my hot dogs.* So there!

*I remembered while grocery shopping last week that as kids, we didn't eat much fish except for the typical fish sticks. I put ketchup on those, as well.:P

Count me in that group...when I was a kid and ate hot dogs, always ketchup. Now I use cocktail sauce on fish sticks, so much classier:wink:.

When I ate Yodel snack cakes, I had a very specific routine: eat the chocolate off the two ends. Then nibble the piece of chocolate on the bottom edge (thicker, where it settled from enrobing). Then unroll the cake, peel the remainder of the chocolate off, and finish by eating the chocolate cake/cream.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Let's also veer off into related dining territory by saying I like ketchup on my hot dogs.

Me too... I wasn't even aware it was considered wrong. :D In fact, I think I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this discussion and learn just how much wrong eating I do. :P

• Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Now I freely admit I do eat some hot dogs with mustard especially the bratwurst variety, but I prefer ketchup on my hot dogs. 

When we were kids and my mom had her Ladies Night Out (bowling league, usually), my dad would literally drive through the local Der Wienerschnitzel (back before they dropped the "Der") because the drive-through was smack in the middle of the restaurant building...one of those still exists in Pacific Beach down in San Diego. Anyway he would buy bags full of their Mustard Dogs and that was our dinner. No starch, no veg with dinner...just Mustard Dogs. We loved it and ate our fill.

Proof that I have eaten mustard on hot dogs. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm going to have to think about this...... I don't think my habits are out of the ordinary but now I'm going to have to think about it.  I don't fold over the slice of pizza (thin crust) before eating it, I eat the crust too..... if we get Chinese takeout, I always eat it out of the container (my husband puts it in a bowl) and always always always use chopsticks (husband uses a fork) although I haven't had Chinese take out since the start of the pandemic :(   I'll eat ketchup, or pickle relish or mustard on a hot dog.  I do  have a preference for certain spoon shapes for eating ice cream (but if I can't find "my" spoon, I'll eat the ice cream anyway!)  I would rather have salad after mains but I'm eating it either way ;)  Hmm.  When I eat cereal, and there's milk left in the bowl, I'll pour more cereal in until there's no milk left. 

Oh!  When people eat cupcakes by splitting them across the middle, then taking the bottom and flipping it over onto the frosting to make a "sandwich" so the frosting is in the middle!  I'd never seen a cupcake eaten that way until I became a baker.  So, yeah. I don't do that :)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Now I freely admit I do eat some hot dogs with mustard especially the bratwurst variety, but I prefer ketchup on my hot dogs.

Ok, I meant ketchup too... as in along with mustard and whatever else I'm in the mood for at the moment. Hot dogs with mustard, ketchup, mayo, relish, onion, hot peppers and, sometimes, even a slice of cheese (yes, all of the above on the same hot dog) are welcome guests on the not so frequent occasions I eat hot dogs.

I have a feeling I just secured my spot in this "eating wrong" discussion. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

and also prefer my salad after the main course.

6 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

I grew up w salad after mains.  I thought it was just a European custom. 

It took me till well into adulthood before the first time I ever ate a salad this way, and then realizing that this is the civilized way to eat a salad.

Unless it (the salad) is the main course, obviously.  And I cannot lie but sometimes I will serve the salad as a side dish with the main course.

I don't believe I eat anything "wrong."  Because I don't believe there is any wrong way to eat; oh, there are disgusting ways to eat, to be sure. But that's not wrong, that's just disgusting.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

56 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

Oh!  When people eat cupcakes by splitting them across the middle, then taking the bottom and flipping it over onto the frosting to make a "sandwich" so the frosting is in the middle!  I'd never seen a cupcake eaten that way until I became a baker.  So, yeah. I don't do that :)

I do that. Largely because I don't care for icing, but without it the cupcake doesn't want to slide down. With cakes, I carefully wipe about 80% of the icing onto the side of my plate before eating the cake.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My definition of wrong is when someone puts ham and mayo on a raisin bagel. Believe me, I've seen it.

I grew up eating salad after the main. My mother, who was really a terrible cook, believed that the French were always right. When I moved to CA I discovered the more popular way to serve salad in a restaurant was as a starter. I like it that way. By the time I get done with my main meal I really don't have an appetite for salad. My husband's relatives all serve salad at the same time as the main, like hippies at a pot luck.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My definition of wrong is when someone puts ham and mayo on a raisin bagel. Believe me, I've seen it.

My husband's relatives all serve salad at the same time as the main, like hippies at a pot luck.

Ham & Mayo!! On a raisin bagel!!!! You say wrong; I say disgusting.

I bet your husband's relatives have a good time at their pot lucks. The question is: do you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Dear God. I cannot comprehend ham and mayo on a bagel. Ham, maybe. Mayo, never. Taint right.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

Dear God. I cannot comprehend ham and mayo on a bagel. Ham, maybe. Mayo, never. Taint right.

My problem is "raisin bagel" huh??? A conflation of what? THAT is wrong. Cross that line well do whatever.

I never eat "wrong"; it's everyone  else who does.

But seriously, the only thing I do (or don't do) which may be peculiar to some is that the only time I put butter on bread is when I specifically want bread and butter, which I often do.

I never include butter in other sandwiches. Butter in a bacon sandwich? Never? Cheese sandwich? Certainly not.

I also never put cheese on hamburgers. Although I love cheese. Real cheese.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Ham & Mayo!! On a raisin bagel!!!! You say wrong; I say disgusting.

I bet your husband's relatives have a good time at their pot lucks. The question is: do you?

They are all very nice people and no where near as judgmental as I am. None of them would ever criticize any dish made by another, bad as it might be. (And yes, I find that really irritating.) The great grandparents were farmers in northern CA and the land is still in the family. They have an annual picnic on the land with extended relatives at Easter time, which really is a potluck. Someone defrosts a deer and brings stew. Awful. There are at least six macaroni salads. Mostly awful. A rattlesnake often shows up and sometimes get shot.

My husband's immediate family are a little different. They are physicists and mathematicians and engineers and mostly vegetarians and all democrats. With the exception of my husband I don't believe any of his siblings have ever been to New York and none of them would turn down a toasted raisin bagel. As a family in the late sixties they hiked the Napali Coast Trail in Kauai. Naked. Mom, Dad and four kids.

• Like 3