• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Eatmywords

Eatmywords

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

It took me till well into adulthood before the first time I ever ate a salad this way, and then realizing that this is the civilized way to eat a salad.

If by civil you mean healthier I agree.  The acid and roughage play digestive moving those blocks of cheese, meat and assorted saturated fats along.  I don't know if salad (at the end) was ever proven beneficial but based on my experience I know it was/is.  As well, just knowing it was coming inspired us to leave room and eat a bit less of the heavier mains. 

Eatmywords

Eatmywords

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

It took me till well into adulthood before the first time I ever ate a salad this way, and then realizing that this is the civilized way to eat a salad.

If by civil you mean healthier I agree.  The acid and roughage play digestive moving those blocks of cheese, meat and assorted saturated fats along.  I don't know if salad (at the end) was ever proven beneficial but based on my experience I know it was.  As well, just knowing it was coming inspired us to leave room and eat a bit less of the heavier mains.