• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deferred Maintenance Kitchen Renovation

Porthos

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Fucking contractors...that's just lame - someone could actually get a bad injury from that work.

One day I went to check on work in the apartment in DC we were gut renovating.  On the floor, and strewn about, a bucket of water, wet rags, etc. etc.

On the floor that had been just installed. Without anything protecting it.

A lot of the workers subs hire to use as labor are fresh out of jail. The counter people for our kitchen were scumbags.  I got in one guy's face (a little) because of his shitty attitude and I thought I was going to get hit.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, heidih said:

wow that is a broad statement Never ever in my experience over many years and many projects.

Its not untrue around here. The drug problem cuts into the unskilled labor pool badly. Far from every guy is an ex con, but more than a few are.

• Sad 1

When we had a new roof installed several years ago, most of the workers were wearing ankle monitors.  This was from an old local company.  One of the younger, clean cut kid without a monitor asked to use the phone.  I noticed him looking around but put it out of my mind. Guess what, two weeks later the house was broken into and robbed while we were at work.  Found out later they used the clean cut guy to ask to use the phone and I fell for it.  They also had spotters out to let them know when we left work.   We were less than 10 minutes from home.  The creeps even took food out of the freezer.  Never been caught and the company is still in business.  No wonder the Amish had such a ready-made niche to fill.   How do I know all this?  One of the on site supervisors was married to the Friends of the

Library group president..They have changed their hiring practices since then

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Here in these apartments in NYC (there are close to 1,700 apartments in our complex), only like 3 or 4 contractors are used. They know the buildings, what’s inside the walls, how to get permits, etc. etc.  so you see the same workers over and over - which doesn’t mean they always do a great job - but it does lead to a sense of security in that these contractors want this work, and they’re not going to hire screw ups if they can avoid it.  Someone is always watching, be it security, management, neighbors, whomever.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Here in these apartments in NYC (there are close to 1,700 apartments in our complex), only like 3 or 4 contractors are used. They know the buildings, what’s inside the walls, how to get permits, etc. etc.  so you see the same workers over and over - which doesn’t mean they always do a great job - but it does lead to a sense of security in that these contractors want this work, and they’re not going to hire screw ups if they can avoid it.  Someone is always watching, be it security, management, neighbors, whomever.

Exactly.  My building is a lot smaller than yours, but my contractor had already renovated at least 5 apartments in the building just in the last few years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Exactly.  My building is a lot smaller than yours, but my contractor had already renovated at least 5 apartments in the building just in the last few years.

When we started thinking about our kitchen/bath renovation, asking around, the same 3 contractors' names came up. And when our architect had our plans ready to be quoted, the same 3 contractors' names came up.  They built themselves a nice, steady business, and there's no way they're about to screw that up by hiring people who ought not be in the buildings. And watching over the subs and who they hire like the hawks flying over the park outside.  

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

When we started thinking about our kitchen/bath renovation, asking around, the same 3 contractors' names came up. And when our architect had our plans ready to be quoted, the same 3 contractors' names came up.  They built themselves a nice, steady business, and there's no way they're about to screw that up by hiring people who ought not be in the buildings. And watching over the subs and who they hire like the hawks flying over the park outside.  

exactly.  After we purchased our place, I asked the super to give me some names of contractors who worked in the building.  His name was first, along with a couple others.  I've met a bunch of his guys who work in there - they've all worked for him for a long time.  They like working for him because he always has work for them!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

exactly.  After we purchased our place, I asked the super to give me some names of contractors who worked in the building.  His name was first, along with a couple others.  I've met a bunch of his guys who work in there - they've all worked for him for a long time.  They like working for him because he always has work for them!

That is how it is in commercial and retail in my experience - you have to be "on the list". When I replaced the roof here the City gave me a list of 5. I rarely recommend to homeowners and tell them to talk to a neighbor or friend who had a good experience or use Angie's List or Next Door dot com. Also the guy you refer to probably pays on time and decently ;) 

I've only used the internet search for a helper once; it wasn't Angie's List, and now I forget, but I needed an electrician to change a light bulb switch, as well as replace and hang a new ceiling fixture.  The person who came had a bunch of references; $75 was paid thru the website (I forget), and I tipped $20 on top.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've only used the internet search for a helper once; it wasn't Angie's List, and now I forget, but I needed an electrician to change a light bulb switch, as well as replace and hang a new ceiling fixture.  The person who came had a bunch of references; $75 was paid thru the website (I forget), and I tipped $20 on top.

Insert joke about how many electricians it takes to change a.....

• Like 1

The new countertops and backsplash:

20210316_072024.thumb.jpg.87116d906e0815414e4061054600414c.jpg20210316_073033.thumb.jpg.ba90881181fad297294e7e625ea1edba.jpg

Plumbing reconnect was supposed to happen this morning, now this afternoon. I'm not holding my breath but the ladders would be in the way of the plumber. I really hope that they come today or tomorrow morning. My daughter is coming over tomorrow afternoon to help me hang the new pot rack.  🤞

Phone call just came in saying 5 p.m.

ETA When I re-installed the stove my Sweetie said it looks old and we need a new one. I told her today that until we know if we're moving out of state I don't want to replace it. If we're staying the new stove will be a Blue Star, if we're moving it will be something from Lowe's.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 8

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Something that surprised me about the flooring we've chosen, Pergo Outlast+, it that it has to sit in the house for 3 days for acclimation before they'll install it. It's not a problem, just something I never would have guessed.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Something that surprised me about the flooring we've chosen, Pergo Outlast+, it that it has to sit in the house for 3 days for acclimation before they'll install it. It's not a problem, just something I never would have guessed.

Well I admit that I sniggered to myself when I read this. Thought sure somebody was pulling your leg! But before I opened my mouth and made a fool of myself I did a bit of research. I learned that laminate flooring has a fiberboard core. It needs time to acclimate to the humidity in the room where it will be installed. Never a dull moment on eG. I may never have a reason to use this new knowledge but I am still happy to tuck it away somewhere. Thanks!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

When I re-installed the stove my Sweetie said it looks old and we need a new one.

Obviously, I can't see up close, but I think the stove looks fine and your reno is looking great.  I'm sure you'll get your investment back, either in actual cash or an easy sale.  The associated aggravation is another matter! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

My bamboo flooring had to sit even longer than that!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well I admit that I sniggered to myself when I read this. Thought sure somebody was pulling your leg! But before I opened my mouth and made a fool of myself I did a bit of research. I learned that laminate flooring has a fiberboard core. It needs time to acclimate to the humidity in the room where it will be installed. Never a dull moment on eG. I may never have a reason to use this new knowledge but I am still happy to tuck it away somewhere. Thanks!

We acclimated our hardwood floors, engineered hardwood and laminate in various places we have done renos over the last several years. I think it's very common. Wood and wood products seem to require it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

We acclimated our hardwood floors, engineered hardwood and laminate in various places we have done renos over the last several years. I think it's very common. Wood and wood products seem to require it. 

I was well aware of the need to acclimate wood products but this was the first I was aware of the need to do the same for laminates. Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Plumbing installed and the new pot rack hung:

1813397955_PlumbingandPotRack.thumb.jpg.e3886bf9106392d163bb4342ca2f2c67.jpg

The crock pot has our corned beef dinner in it.

The blinds for the window will be  installed after we cleaned the 36 Y/O window the best we can. We can't do anything near the sink until dinnertime tonight when the sink-to-counter seal will be fully cured. Then most of the re-populating of the counters and lower cabinets will commence. Timing on the flooring installation is still up int the air. For us that will be a major prep task as we're having the kitchen and family room done. I''m still working on the logistics of where to put what since the entire floor has to be cleared. My biggest concern is the 400+ lb gun safe.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

+Plumbing installed and the new pot rack hung:

The crock pot has our corned beef dinner in it.

I''m still working on the logistics of where to put what since the entire floor has to be cleared. My biggest concern is the 400+ lb gun safe.

1st world problems ;)  I unfortunately had that issue in the master walk-in closet once. I just had them work around the horrid thing. When they know you have one and you tip them they tend to accommodate.

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I''m still working on the logistics of where to put what since the entire floor has to be cleared.

Good luck! I still remember, ages ago, when I had my apartment recarpeted.  The whole thing, closets included, except for bathrooms and kitchen.  It was almost as bad as moving!

@Porthos, that kitchen is coming along beautifully (despite flooring-timing issues)! I'd be reluctant to leave now, if it were my house. (I know that updating can be a necessary part of getting a house ready to sell. Still, it would be difficult to give up after all that work :) )

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good luck! I still remember, ages ago, when I had my apartment recarpeted.  The whole thing, closets included, except for bathrooms and kitchen.  It was almost as bad as moving!

Worse cuz the stuff does not go on the moving truck. When we did big office suites at night  the carpet guys actually had a system where they moved and laid in an orchestrated way. Including those big old file cabinets with lateral drawers.They were worth every penny and the next morning the tenants were equally amazed.

• Like 2