Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

12 g ganache for equal size truffles


Wisper
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, 


I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 

These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 


What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?

I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

 

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?

It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

 

any suggestion will be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wisper said:

Hi, 


I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 

These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 


What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?

I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

 

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?

It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

 

any suggestion will be appreciated.

Does the box not have some plus or minus allowed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding is you can go above the stated net weight but not below. But also remember it’s total weight so if you have one piece that’s shy you just need to find a heavy one to balance it out. 
 

When using silicone molds for ganache, freeze them for 30 min or so and the ganache should come out cleanly. 
 

Or use a small portion scoop. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wisper said:

 +- 5g per box, so I have to be pretty accurate

If you were to cut the ganache with a guitar you would have identical sized pieces and then you can just roll them round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Wisper said:

I wonder how efficient / quick is to do it when you're making your own truffle shells -  https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/moulds/frame-moulds/CW5018...

The price is quite high for a mould (78euro=93usd)...  but.. if it's less time consuming, clean and precise... who can argue...

 

I'd buy pre-made truffle shells instead - making your own is a bitch! I've been much happier with the silicone truffle molds and freezing them as @pastrygirlsuggested to get equal sized truffles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Wisper said:

I wonder how efficient / quick is to do it when you're making your own truffle shells -  https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/moulds/frame-moulds/CW5018...

The price is quite high for a mould (78euro=93usd)...  but.. if it's less time consuming, clean and precise... who can argue...

 

 

Those molds are a nightmare, there's a discussion on here somewhere.

 

Is the final product to be dipped or otherwise in a shell, or just dusted with cocoa? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don't have a guitar then I suppose you don't have an enrober, so you are hand dipping these truffles. If you start with a ganache with exact weight then you hand dip it, you can't expect the final truffles to be all at the same exact gram, you will have some heavier and some lighter.

As Kerry wrote, your best course of action is buying pre-made truffle shells. It's quicker and more precise.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Teo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, teonzo said:

If you don't have a guitar then I suppose you don't have an enrober, so you are hand dipping these truffles. If you start with a ganache with exact weight then you hand dip it, you can't expect the final truffles to be all at the same exact gram, you will have some heavier and some lighter.

As Kerry wrote, your best course of action is buying pre-made truffle shells. It's quicker and more precise.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Of course the trouble with this might be that the truffle shells are probably 5 grams each - and by the time you fill them and enrobe them - you are probably looking at 15-18 grams per.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

@Wisper And if you do use the ready-made truffle shells (I highly recommend this too), then also buy the matching truffle shell filling/sealing tray. Makes it much easier when piping the filling and capping them off.

 

I bought the thick plastic one from PastryChef.com (I think it was around the $90 mark), but they don't seem to stock them any more. The only US online place that seems to have trays in stock at the moment is AUI (https://secure.auifinefoods.com/metal-sealing-tray-for-truffles-0041500000) but their thick aluminum/steel version is expensive ($235) for a metal sheet with some shaped holes in it — but it will last forever. If you're in the UK, then Home Chocolate Factory has them for £73.

Edited by jbates (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Tropicalsenior
      In another thread, one of our members @scott123 said that he is looking for a Chinese pickle jar. Similar to this:

      Or this:

      Since we have a lot of members in the New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia area, I thought someone might be able to help him out.
      My little Chinese restaurant supply has a whole range of different types and sizes but unless he is planning to take a vacation to Costa Rica soon, that doesn't help a bit.
    • By TdeV
      Pork Belly which is vacuum sealed and was sous-vide-d for 48 hours. It's been sitting in the fridge for a few months, not in the meat drawer (which is close to freezing).
       
      I was thinking of putting it (still wrapped) in the Anova Oven at sv temperatures to get warm, and then opening the bag.
       
      If it still smells okay, can we eat it?
    • By Darienne
      A quite unusual take on the favorite American chocolate bar: click
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...