• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

12 g ganache for equal size truffles

Wisper

Hi, 

I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 

These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 

What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?

I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?

It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

any suggestion will be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Wisper said:

Hi, 

I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 

These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 

What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?

I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?

It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

any suggestion will be appreciated.

Does the box not have some plus or minus allowed?

My understanding is you can go above the stated net weight but not below. But also remember it’s total weight so if you have one piece that’s shy you just need to find a heavy one to balance it out. 

When using silicone molds for ganache, freeze them for 30 min or so and the ganache should come out cleanly. 

Or use a small portion scoop. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wisper said:

+- 5g per box, so I have to be pretty accurate

If you were to cut the ganache with a guitar you would have identical sized pieces and then you can just roll them round.

24 minutes ago, Wisper said:

I wonder how efficient / quick is to do it when you're making your own truffle shells -  https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/moulds/frame-moulds/CW5018...

The price is quite high for a mould (78euro=93usd)...  but.. if it's less time consuming, clean and precise... who can argue...

I'd buy pre-made truffle shells instead - making your own is a bitch! I've been much happier with the silicone truffle molds and freezing them as @pastrygirlsuggested to get equal sized truffles.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wisper said:

I wonder how efficient / quick is to do it when you're making your own truffle shells -  https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/moulds/frame-moulds/CW5018...

The price is quite high for a mould (78euro=93usd)...  but.. if it's less time consuming, clean and precise... who can argue...

Those molds are a nightmare, there's a discussion on here somewhere.

Is the final product to be dipped or otherwise in a shell, or just dusted with cocoa? 

If you don't have a guitar then I suppose you don't have an enrober, so you are hand dipping these truffles. If you start with a ganache with exact weight then you hand dip it, you can't expect the final truffles to be all at the same exact gram, you will have some heavier and some lighter.

As Kerry wrote, your best course of action is buying pre-made truffle shells. It's quicker and more precise.

Teo

Teo

17 minutes ago, teonzo said:

If you don't have a guitar then I suppose you don't have an enrober, so you are hand dipping these truffles. If you start with a ganache with exact weight then you hand dip it, you can't expect the final truffles to be all at the same exact gram, you will have some heavier and some lighter.

As Kerry wrote, your best course of action is buying pre-made truffle shells. It's quicker and more precise.

Teo

Of course the trouble with this might be that the truffle shells are probably 5 grams each - and by the time you fill them and enrobe them - you are probably looking at 15-18 grams per.

• 3 weeks later...

@Wisper And if you do use the ready-made truffle shells (I highly recommend this too), then also buy the matching truffle shell filling/sealing tray. Makes it much easier when piping the filling and capping them off.

I bought the thick plastic one from PastryChef.com (I think it was around the $90 mark), but they don't seem to stock them any more. The only US online place that seems to have trays in stock at the moment is AUI (https://secure.auifinefoods.com/metal-sealing-tray-for-truffles-0041500000) but their thick aluminum/steel version is expensive ($235) for a metal sheet with some shaped holes in it — but it will last forever. If you're in the UK, then Home Chocolate Factory has them for £73.

Edited by jbates (log)
  • Like 1