• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection- gas vs electric vs true vs dual fan

KawBaker

hello- looking for opinions on a new home oven for a home based business baker of macarons, pastries and breads.  I have a gas convection now and am considering going electric if it performs better - I've been satisfied with gas but it does seem to surge a lot during bakes (I haven't measured internal temp during for varying Temps but is sounds like it might) - as i am getting a new oven wondering whether true convection is worth it - same for those with two fans - thanks in advance!

I can't help with the macaroons or pastries, but generally, when baking free form loaves, we want the crust to stay moist for the first part of the bake, so convection, IMO, is not really an advantage.   On the other hand, again as to bread, many like to get steam to stay in the oven for the first part of the bake, and in general, gas ovens vent much more than electric ovens, so it is harder to keep things moist.  ( yes burning gas does give off vapor, but it vents extremely quickly ).    If you think you are going to fill the oven with baked items at one time, convection may help keep the temperature throughout the cavity more even than no convection,  though you will probably still want to rotate the pan for many items, like cookies.   

• Like 2