• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Spelling

Years ago, I worked in the deli section of Bud's Meats, the best meat market in the Seattle area.

The manager, Roy, was an older man who was never happy unless he was unhappy about something. He had a shock of white hair that stood straight up on his head and a perpetual frown but Roy was a real sweetheart underneath. Years later I had a job delivering flowers. One of the best jobs I ever had because you usually make people happy. The one downside of the job was delivering flowers to families who had lost a loved one and when it was someone you knew it could turn into the worst job in the world. One of my worst days was the day that I had to deliver flowers to the funeral home for Roy. I asked if I could please go in and pay my respects because he was a friend of mine. I got quite a shock when I looked into the coffin and it wasn't Roy. I was just about to go ask the funeral director where he was when I realized what the problem was. They had combed down that shock of white hair flat to his head and they had put a smile on his face. My first thought was that it Roy had seen that he would have turned over in his grave.... oh wait, he isn't even in it yet. I think it was a reaction that Roy would have approved.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Years ago, I worked in the deli section of Bud's Meats, the best meat market in the Seattle area.

The manager, Roy, was an older man who was never happy unless he was unhappy about something. He had a shock of white hair that stood straight up on his head and a perpetual frown but Roy was a real sweetheart underneath. Years later I had a job delivering flowers. One of the best jobs I ever had because you usually make people happy. The one downside of the job was delivering flowers to families who had lost a loved one and when it was someone you knew it could turn into the worst job in the world. One of my worst days was the day that I had to deliver flowers to the funeral home for Roy. I asked if I could please go in and pay my respects because he was a friend of mine. I got quite a shock when I looked into the coffin and it wasn't Roy. I was just about to go ask the funeral director where he was when I realized what the problem was. They had combed down that shock of white hair flat to his head and they had put a smile on his face. My first thought was that it Roy had seen that he would have turned over in his grave.... oh wait, he isn't even in it yet. I think it would have been a reaction that Roy would have approved.