• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Virtually Does Dallas

Kerry Beal

Well - usually this would be where I post a picture of my passport and ticket for Dallas - and show you some pictures of what I'm eating at the airport lounge. But that is not to be.

I've spent the last number of days putting together a virtual trade show for this weekend. @Alleguede and we have made 4 - 10 min or so videos on how to use the EZtemper to temper chocolate, temper coloured cocoa butter, temper gianduja and temper ganache. So I've learned a lot about virtual voice over!

I'll be doing a tempering talk on Sunday from 2-3 Dallas time (3-4 my time) and I spent a bit of time today video taping the presentation just in case there are technical difficulties on Sunday. 

It's been an interesting (and occasionally frustrating) experience so far. The platform it is on has some significant limitations (you can't make an HTML hyperlink with the title of your video) and you can only upload a single video into the spot for videos. So I've had to do a bit of work around to accomplish what I needed to do. 

I learned how to make a slide show on my Mac today and export it to be my intro video - and hope that that will lead people to the YouTube videos that I've embedded (not actually embedded - they are right out there for all to see) in my business description for people to click on and watch.

The platform (it's called Whova) allows you to offer a 'coupon' so I can offer the promo pricing I have provided at trade shows in the past and when someone picks up a coupon I get an e-mail address and name so I can send out my usual promo e-mail. 

The Dallas Chocolate Festival this year is themed "The World of Chocolate in a Box" and there were 500 boxes shipped out fairly locally to Dallas. They contain samples of products being sold, tasting samples for those offering tasting sessions - in my case I made a post card with tempering temperatures on it so people can follow along my talk and will have it as a reference in the future (of course if they decide to buy an EZtemper - they'll never need it again!)

One  challenge is going to be figuring out the virtual meetups with people - how to talk to them one on one. I haven't quite sorted that one yet. Also how do I keep track of questions during my talk. I suspect I'll need iPad to videotape, computer beside me to watch for questions and phone to watch the coupon action (which I'll then need my computer to send out the promo e-mail). I need an assistant!

The cost to sign up for the trade show now that the boxes have all been sold is only $5 - so it will be interesting to see how many people attend. Probably the least expensive trade show ever at that price. 

Another challenge is going to be how to have you guys follow along - it's not like I can take pictures of stuff and post it. Perhaps screenshots?

Here's the link to the show in case anyone wants to virtually attend - Dallas Chocolate Festival 2020 

• Like 10

Canned talk finally in the can! Biggest issue trying to figure out how to edit out the part where the video looked at the empty room and the false starts.  Since my computer got updated to Catalina - iMovie disappeared and I can't figure out if there is a way to get it back.

Anxious to see what tomorrow brings and see how/if this is going to work. I've had around 8 people pick up a coupon so far - so even if I make a couple of sales I'll be ahead of the game. 

Oh fer christ's sake - just looked at the canned talk - and the edited out part is still there! So if they have to use it - they need to start part way in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Canned talk finally in the can! Biggest issue trying to figure out how to edit out the part where the video looked at the empty room and the false starts.  Since my computer got updated to Catalina - iMovie disappeared and I can't figure out if there is a way to get it back.

Anxious to see what tomorrow brings and see how/if this is going to work. I've had around 8 people pick up a coupon so far - so even if I make a couple of sales I'll be ahead of the game. 

Oh fer christ's sake - just looked at the canned talk - and the edited out part is still there! So if they have to use it - they need to start part way in.

As long as there's no audio of the flush.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Chocdoc Virtually Does Dallas

That's what the internet's for... one hand on the keyboard, one hand filling the EZtemper. 

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am having nothing but trouble trying to get zoom links for meet ups. I think I’m going to be sitting here for an hour with my thumb up my bum right now and nobody is going to be joining me because I don’t think the link is actually working.

• Sad 5

Well I tried to set up a meetup about 4 times today - Zoom is not a good option I discovered by the 4th. I was pretty much in tears of frustration by the end - asking for help and getting no or useless answers. By the time it was sorted no one trusted me to come to my meetup - because why would they. A friend Glen who runs a tasting business called Chocotastery had no one show up for his 4 o'clock tasting so he stopped by and we were having a good old gossip when we were later joined by a delightful young lady named Laura who owns Goodies Texas. 

I attended her painting demo to end the day and throughly enjoyed myself - you always learn something!

IMG_2220.thumb.jpeg.8ac7396d31ca5882c7ddbffb0428cc9a.jpeg

Here's the only picture I got!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Curious how this goes.  A local tasting event is moving online this fall, I'm having a hard time imagining hanging out on zoom all day.  I know everyone else is doing it but ...

Good luck!

I'd suggest a schedule for each participant eg 90 min each

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm really sorry things worked out that way. I hope they didn't charge too much for such a useless experience.

It ain't over til it's over as Dandy Don says. I'll have a better experience tomorrow!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

Can you use Skype as a replacement of sorts?

Teo

Suspect that would make it even worse! They do have something on their platform which I used the lat time yesterday with success - but I'm going to have to sort the reverberation issue - I was pretty sure I had only one devices volume on but I was getting a lot of feedback. 

Well - two more unsuccessful meetups today - well not entirely - I have a lovely chat with Laura of Goodies Texas this morning as she drove to teach her yoga class.

The talk this afternoon went well - I must confess I worried it might not go smoothly so was rather pleased it went well. Of course not having the ability to watch the audience is challenging. You don't know if they are laughing at your jokes. 

@Alleguedecaught a couple of pictures - 

IMG_2223.jpeg.a84f679874baf4080f8728c472c7831a.jpegIMG_2224.jpeg.c33eec12e8ac540868ae2aa7fab2261c.jpeg

• Like 9