• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An interesting link for the foragers in the crowd...

chromedome

It turns out that Purdue University maintains a database of "famine foods," things that weren't/aren't ordinarily harvested or cultivated but could serve as survival foods in time of need.

https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/famine-foods/

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yeah. I considered it a happy bit of serendipity, and filed it under "really cool stuff I find while legitimately working." This is, sadly, a much smaller file than the one called "really cool stuff I find while I'm allegedly working but really procrastinating for all I'm worth." :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

36 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yeah. I considered it a happy bit of serendipity, and filed it under "really cool stuff I find while legitimately working." This is, sadly, a much smaller file than the one called "really cool stuff I find while I'm allegedly working but really procrastinating for all I'm worth." :P

Hey we all have our unique skill sets.  Thanks!

I wanted to like the site, I really did...(as I love this sort of topic)...

It is just so poorly presented and organized - very tough to navigate (functions like their map do not work) and limited information.

I think they are trying to cover far too large an expanse rather than focusing and specializing on something more local. 

I cross reference a few links typically....

https://northernbushcraft.com/

https://ontarionature.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Ontario_Nature_Forest_Foraging_Guide_official.pdf

Among a few others.

I visit the Northern Bushcraft site frequently, but hadn't looked at the Ontario one. I've only just started to up my foraging game over the past year or two, so this still rather new to me.

As for the Purdue link, its focus on famine plants probably excludes things that are more widely used. And yeah, the interface is definitely academic...