• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasso ham

Victual Vignettes

I'm unable to source / buy Tasso ham locally, so an internet search led me to Cajungrocer.com where there are several brands available. Does anyone have a recommendation for best Tasso brand in general for use in cooking? I'm also open to any other websites where you source your Louisiana goods for mail order.

I make my own. Strips of pork equilibrium dry brined/cured, coated in a spice rub and smoked without a water pan and with the vents wide open so it does some fairly significant drying. But I used to buy it when I lived where I had access to it. I don't recall much difference between brands, it's a pretty simple preparation, but I don't actually remember what the brands were I had access to either. Tasso is regional enough that those who make it to sell all know how to make it right and recommendations are going to come down to personal preference or allegiance to a brand. I've found that to be the case with a lot of regional specialties, locals recommend the one they use but they're generally all good.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You'll not do better than Cajun Grocers, whatever they offer. I looked at what I have in the freezer and it just has the weight and price label of the grocery, so I guess it was made in house in Thibodeaux, LA. I have a friend whose hubby is from there, so when she goes, I send money with her and she brings me back tasso and andouille. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

30 minutes ago, Victual Vignettes said:

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with Poche's this go -round, and I added my name to the "Notify Me" list for Cochon's!

I've never had Cochon's tasso (other than what may have been used at the restaurant), but I've used Poche's before - both their tasso and andouille, and both are really good.

• Like 1