• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High temperature cheese

gfweb

what is this stuff..curd?

Description
logo_cabelas-01?$Prod%5FPDPbrandlong$
Cabela's High-Temperature Cheese

Take your sausage and snack stick recipes to the next level by adding our Cabela's High-Temperature Cheese to your mix. A flavorful addition to your meat snack creations, this easy-to-use cheese simply mixes into your sausage or snack stick mix with seasonings before cooking. Unlike ordinary cheese, our cubed high-temperature cheese stays solid up to 400°F, making it ideal for smoking. Add 2-1/2 lbs. per 24 lbs. of meat after the last grind.

I have a package of the cheddar version in my fridge right now, I use it in some of my sausages. The texture when cold is somewhat waxy and crumbly and it doesn't melt at any of the temps I go to when smoking sausages. It gets melty at frying or grilling temps but still doesn't melt out unless you really try. The ingredients are basically what would be used to do the modernist melty cheese thing but with sodium phosphates instead of sodium citrate. Sodium phosphates is kinda generic and the ingredient list doesn't specify the combination but maybe that's what results in something that resists melting instead of encouraging it like the melty cheese? Not really sure.  

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Tri2Cook
whats the texture like in a cooked sausage? Does it taste cheesy in the sausage?

The texture in cooked sausage is soft while still holding it's shape unless it's really hot. There's a point where it will start to melt like normal cheese... it's high temp resistant, not proof. It tastes like the cheese that's usually in any commercial sausage that includes cheese. There's no doubt it's cheese but you're not gonna mistake it for a fine cheddar. Of course, you're not gonna melt out and waste half of it like often happens if you use a fine cheddar in sausages. If I was gonna mix up a batch of fresh sausages to toss on the grill, I'd probably not bother with the high temp cheese and just pay attention to get them off before the cheese runs out. I use it in sausages that are gonna spend a fairly long time in the smoker like summer sausage.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.