• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Pick - Recommendation needed please

Kim Shook

I have two picks like this one.  It claims to be stainless steel and perhaps it is, but the pick is coated with something silvery that is now coming off when used.  Does anyone have a recommendation of a good, but not crazy expensive ice pick for me?  Should I just go to Lowes and buy an awl?  Maxwell's sliver hammer?  Our ice maker is on the fritz right now, so we're buying bags of ice and with the hot weather the ice thaws on the way home and then we end up with a giant chunk in the freezer drawer, so we actually use one a lot.  Thanks!!!

Face it, an ice pick is not a high-tech device, it's probably going to be hard to find a quality one for the very reason you stated "not crazy expensive". Just go to Amazon and buy another one and see how it works for you.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think you just jump on it or use a padded hammer thingy  Do not hurt yourselves with a pick  My experience of many years as I have given  up on the always breaking down ice-maker  Plus Smart & Final had lime flavored that were heaven in heat.

Edited by heidih (log)

As you might have seen already, this one is rated 4.8/5 (from 367 ratings), has a sheath, and looks cool.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Is your house built on a slab foundation? Mine is, and I find flinging the bag down on the kitchen floor two or three times serves to break the ice up mildly well.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Hassouni said:

https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/pitchfork-ice-pick?___store=default&UseLoc=US

As someone who uses an ice pick almost daily, let me tell you that you want a multi-pronged one, such as that

Does it have a cover?  We are klutzes.  I have run the tines of a regular fork up my fingernails multiple times.  

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Hassouni said:

https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/pitchfork-ice-pick?___store=default&UseLoc=US

As someone who uses an ice pick almost daily, let me tell you that you want a multi-pronged one, such as that

Thank you, everyone.  I think we're going with this one!

• Like 1

This is the one that I ended up ordering from Amazon:

IMG_3376.jpg.99f1e99b663c7c7843fe27a6b2238966.jpg

It is similar to, but not exactly the one that @Hassouni referenced.  It was just over $20 with free shipping.  The other was $20+$10 shipping.  I did check and it doesn't seem to have a coating to flake off.  I'm loving the 3 pronged model - thank you, @Hassouni!  It has those weird little noodle-y things for protection, but I think I'll try @Margaret Pilgrim's suggestion and just try a cork from the next bottle of wine we open.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I thought those were gorgeous, but couldn't see spending half again the price of them for shipping.  

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I thought those were gorgeous, but couldn't see spending half again the price of them for shipping.  

Yeah, good point. A few times I almost bought something from them and then just got mad.

They do sell some of their products through Amazon. Sometimes it's a better deal.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly