• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

On 9/30/2020 at 4:28 PM, scamhi said:

I ordered an electric smoker today. Cookshack SM045.  Going to put it on my lanai in Florida.

We have a weber grill down there but I want to smoke brisket, ribs, pork butt etc.

I guess the Florida weber isn't a kettle, which I used to use for smoking all the mentioned stuff?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I took some visiting German co-workers to a local craft beer place a few years ago, because they were missing their home country's style beer vs. what they got in the sports bars.   I ordered hot pretzels and they were served with the typical (in America) spicy brown mustard.   They looked incredulously at that and said "Where's the butter?"   I learned that night that pretzels (Brezn) were served with soft butter and not mustard in Germany.   The mustard dip is pretty much American style.

Or, as it's served at Cafe Katja (ostensibly Austrian):

1070807363_2010-02KatjaPretzel.thumb.jpg.08dee9852e11e6569078984ef070e03e.jpg

with butter AND their house-made liptauer.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you but the ingredient list is missing.

Ingredients: liquid whole eggs, sugar, water, mustard flour, vinegar, < 2% cornstarch and turmeric.  

It is definitely not terribly sweet.  It's actually very eggy.  It would be great in potato salad.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, weinoo said:

I guess the Florida weber isn't a kettle, which I used to use for smoking all the mentioned stuff?

it's a basic 21" kettle grill and a PITA to have to keep adding coals during a long cook but I have done it.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, scamhi said:

it's a basic 21" kettle grill and a PITA to have to keep adding coals during a long cook but I have done it.

Back in the day (i.e. when I had a backyard and a kettle), it was a great way to spend a Sunday waiting for football to start. My favorite thing to do in the kettle was brined whole duck. But I'll admit, if there were other alternatives available, I might've taken advantage.

I just think doing them with hardwood and coal gives a flavor that's not exactly gotten via electricity or propane.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog