• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

On 6/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, Annie_H said:

I waffled for a bit, then ended up with this brand after reading reviews. Delivered last night so no tested mileage yet. 'BIGSUNNY'

Silicone lids fit regular mouth and wide mouth Ball jars-just flip upside down. Snug fit and heavy duty. I would not toss in a travel bag but a good air-tight fit for the fridge. 'EchoPeaceful' brand. 8 in the box. Both amazon.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.05.15 PM.png

I’ve tried the screw on type plastic lids for these jars but they do leak if you shake them up. These look to be a bit better.

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

I’ve tried the screw on type plastic lids for these jars but they do leak if you shake them up. These look to be a bit better.

The dark gray Ball brand screw cap lids that came out a few years ago are way better than the older and seriously leaky white ones.  They come in both regular and wide mouth. 

I have to say I like the idea of just flipping the lid to fit both regular and wide jars so I'll probably check those out, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The plastic screw-on lids have aftermarket silicone gaskets that are a pain as they slip out in the dishwasher. And fall out in storage. I have a basket in my pantry and it is such a pain to grab one, then no gasket. Hunt for one again and it is for a small mouth jar. Should be a 50/50 chance to get what you want. We love these after a two week trial. Reach in for the silicone and fits both wide and small mouth without looking. Just snap on for small mouth or pressure down for the wide mouth. Thick and true silicone. Not junk. 

2 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

The plastic screw-on lids have aftermarket silicone gaskets that are a pain as they slip out in the dishwasher.

The dark gray plastic Ball brand screw-on lids have no gasket.  But you do need separate lids for regular and wide mouth lids so the ones you describe still sound worth a try. 

I did hesitate reading a few bad reviews. Makes no sense. Maybe they do not have true 'ball jar' brand jars. They fit snug and pass the shake test. Like said, I would not put them in the bottom of a travel bag on their side,😂. But I can shake these in the sink with water and it is a tight seal both size jars. 

• Like 1

DH has a typical 'lazy' gene. We have two sizes of bistro glasses with snap on lids. And the ball jar lids also drive him nuts. We are a good team so he leaves them out after emptying the dishwasher for me to deal. He loves these lids. His tolerance for lids is that of a toddler. The best reviews are from mothers that have kids with jar issues. Young children can grab the extended lip without issues. Helping themselves with fridge snacks I suppose. 

We don't do cute picnics where the spoon hole would be used. But nice option for those that do that. A tray of custards from the fridge maybe. My friends tend to laugh at cute. Like edible flowers in ice cubes. (did that once). Oh, come on, borage flowers are so pretty, 😂

9 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

We don't do cute picnics where the spoon hole would be used. But nice option for those that do that. A tray of custards from the fridge maybe. My friends tend to laugh at cute. Like edible flowers in ice cubes. (did that once). Oh, come on, borage flowers are so pretty, 😂

Oh goodness - I'm having a Molly Chappellet flashback   https://www.amazon.com/Vineyard-Garden-Growing-Cooking-Entertaining/dp/067083436X

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The dark gray Ball brand screw cap lids that came out a few years ago are way better than the older and seriously leaky white ones.  They come in both regular and wide mouth. 

Ahhh.  Yes.  Mine are the older white ones.

Just picked up a new wok. Zwilling wok

Mixed feelings about the purchase having a sentimental years old one. Handle split about ten years ago we planned to replace but it has bicycle handlebar tape on it that makes it ok to use without a wiggle. (too many projects). I don't really need the flat bottom but a countertop single induction unit at the beach home will be nice to have a wok I can use outside.

Kenji reviewed a couple outdoor propane units but they get pricy and doubt we will use it that often outside.  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, Shelby said:

Totally @weinoo's fault.

One of these should be here in a week or so.

Been eyeing them for about a year.  A Moulinex 5 disc shredder.  Because my food processor just wasn't enough 🤣

LOL I blame @Dave the Cook for my purchase of one of these! It arrived a few weeks ago. Works quite well. My justification, if I needed one, is that it will be useful in our trailer when we don't have electrical power. It makes quick work of cheese, and doesn't have the bloody-knuckles potential of my box grater. Is it as quick as the food processor? Of course not. But it's lighter and more compact. I'm glad @weinoo and Dave started the old trend.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

LOL I blame @Dave the Cook for my purchase of one of these! It arrived a few weeks ago. Works quite well. My justification, if I needed one, is that it will be useful in our trailer when we don't have electrical power. It makes quick work of cheese, and doesn't have the bloody-knuckles potential of my box grater. Is it as quick as the food processor? Of course not. But it's lighter and more compact. I'm glad @weinoo and Dave started the old trend.

There is nothing which shreds carrots or celeriac quite as wonderfully, if one is making those classic French salads.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

There is nothing which shreds carrots or celeriac quite as wonderfully, if one is making those classic French salads.

That must be the disk with the flattened holes? A bit larger than a half moon shredder. Frustrating that the important disk is missing from most shredders. 

I have my grandmothers commercial hand shredder but it is a beast. My mandolins do a good job using the extra 'teeth' in two sizes but what a pain to use. I made three salad/slaws yesterday but not exactly what I wanted. Stupid spiralizer I've used just a couple times in a half dozen years could use another flattened cutter for variety. I like the length ok. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, chromedome said:

I was gifted one of these on my last trip to Nova Scotia, brand new and still in the box. I don't expect to use it a lot, but it *is* a tool I've wanted to have kicking around. I expect I'll do more baking after midsummer, when we've moved in with my stepdaughter and the grandkids (the house was built as 2 units, but they've been living in the whole house until now).

618jkgXttaL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.450ac776c90b4a45899fabf3958b5fd6.jpg

I have one of the non-accordion types.  A long straight steel bar, handles each end that has discs that can be moved along the bar and tightened to stay in place.  I've had it since 1969 when I took my last class from Chef Gregoire, 8 Saturdays of pastry, me and five other people.  He gave us a list of "necessary" items and a list of "optional" items and this was on the latter.  I bought everything, being a real fanatic in those days.  I'll have to dust it off and take a photo because i can't find one in my computer.  The one I have is fairly heavy so does all the work on thin doughs and I can hold and guide it from either end, running  it down the length of the bench.  It does take time to reset the widths between the cutting wheels, probably why the adjustable ones were invented.

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

42 minutes ago, lindag said:

Got one of these recently.  I have to say, I LOVE pouring lip AND the handle!!!

I wish all my AC had those features.  

Have you tried it on induction? I've been looking at it but I have no gas stove.

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Have you tried it on induction? I've been looking at it but I have no gas stove.

Yes.  It works great.  

LOVE my induction range.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Annie_H said:

And you have this one as well if you have five disks....(the blue background). Something satisfying with a manual tool. The Beringer has extra blades but not quite right. The big beast stainless does a good job julienne, but I just thin slice Beringer in rounds, then slice fine by hand in strips.  image.thumb.jpeg.2f03cd441b9467cb3e8f57d3b8099472.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.41.47 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

This could have gone into several different topics, but it's been fun for us...so here it is in this topic.

The story begins with my husband's passion for hash, and his insatiable desire to perfect it to his tastes. The potatoes must be crisp but not oily. The sausage must be cooked, and slightly browned. The onions must keep their crunch. I could go on, but that tale has dragged on in the Camping, Princess Style topic for years.

A year or three ago, his daughter gave us (him) a used pan that met most of his needs. it had a huge base. It had straight sides, so he could run the spatula under the ingredients and turn them. He is not of the "do that pan flippy thing with the contents" persuasion, so rounded edges are contraindicated. 

Two problems: the interior non-stick became sticky, and -- much more important -- the bottom was no longer flat. When he put oil into it for his beloved hash, he had to deal with an interior island. Think of a reversed wok, and you'll have it about right.

20220717_225107.jpg

I loved this pan. I loved its (original) shape, its very long and strongly angled handle. it was a wonderful traveling companion, and it hung without complaint on the wall of our house when we were home.

But its contents stuck, and its warped bottom made an island in the oil.

I looked for Vollrath (the parent company) and Ameriware, and various offshoots, to no avail. I looked at World Market, where I'd purchased a smaller but similarly excellent pan. No luck. Enter Amazon, of course. I found several candidates, based on size and shape. I ordered several candidates. For this purpose, GreenPan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) won.*

20220717_225255.jpg

Our GreenPan skillet made its debut tonight. The sides are right-angled. The bottom is flat. The entire interior is as slick as an Antarctican ice rink in winter. 

20220717_225255.jpg

My darling is used to measuring oil with the interior island in mind, and there may need to be adjustments. Still. The potato layer perfectly spread across the bottom of the pan. There was a bit more oil than necessary, but not much. All went well on this maiden voyage.

20220717_225517.jpg

"All went well" is, in truth, an understatement. He's in ecstasy!

*The other candidates found homes here too, but they won't be his hash pans.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, Annie_H said:

And you have this one as well if you have five disks....(the blue background). Something satisfying with a manual tool. The Beringer has extra blades but not quite right. The big beast stainless does a good job julienne, but I just thin slice Beringer in rounds, then slice fine by hand in strips.  image.thumb.jpeg.2f03cd441b9467cb3e8f57d3b8099472.jpeg

Yeesssssss!  I got the newer Benrinerere recently.  Whoa!!! Where have you been all my life.  I had to  dice up a bunch of red onion yesterday and this made a very quick job of it using the medium blade.  And it's wicked sharp!  I'll be using this for all my slicing and dicing.

After reading Cooks Illustrated's review of mandolines I was sold on this top-rated model.  Puts my old mandoline to shame.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, lindag said:

I got the newer Benrinerere recently

I have a divided drawer where my two benriner have their own home. With the extra blades and gloves. When I hit your link to amazon, the note above says my white one was purchased in 2017. So my original green one that most restaurants use must be from at least 5 years earlier. Useful hint, --it says dishwasher safe but not so. Eventually the screws holding the extra blades will corrode. Circled in red. I usually just rinse and air dry or a bit of soap and use a scrub brush. The screws are aluminum. I just keep those screws in their drawer as I use them less often. The green one uses a screw to adjust the slicing depth back side. If I run it through the dishwasher, I remove it. Bad design idea to use aluminum. 

The new design white one is now difficult to turn the wheel--no screw, so I have to use a rubberized lid opener. Bit of a struggle. 

Still love them and use them multiple times a week. The old green one lives in my travel crate now. 

Gloves are good to have. I've caught the fingertip a few times that would have removed some skin. The gloves come in a pair. When one was in the wash--the other is in my travel crate, I took a slice off my fingertip during lockdown. A new laptop with fingerprint recognition, took a couple months to get that fingerprint pattern back. I need to stitch it up and plan to slide in a sewing thimble. It is the only finger I can't seem to train to keep out of the way. 

The gloves are called 'no cry' on amazon. I should get something with stronger threads but these nicks in the fabric are a few in hundreds of uses. And never a skin slice. 

I'll get that one circled in red out eventually with some rust fluid but keep forgetting. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.01.36 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1