• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

Not sure anyone else would consider this fun but I finally broke down and ordered a box of half-sheet size parchment paper and it delights me every time I pull out a sheet and don't have to fight with it to stay flat.

Why the heck did I wait so long? I thought it would be a nuisance to store the big flat box, I got paralyzed by the many offerings on Amazon. I don't consider myself a baker.  So I just kept on buying another roll when it was on sale at Target.  No more - I have seen the light!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure anyone else would consider this fun but I finally broke down and ordered a box of half-sheet size parchment paper and it delights me every time I pull out a sheet and don't have to fight with it to stay flat.

Why the heck did I wait so long? I thought it would be a nuisance to store the big flat box, I got paralyzed by the many offerings on Amazon. I don't consider myself a baker.  So I just kept on buying another roll when it was on sale at Target.  No more - I have seen the light!

I got my first flat parchment a few weeks ago.  It is wonderful.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just got a box last week from WebstaurauntStore.com. Last time I ordered was 2015 so it lasts a while. A few more things while at it.

I added an extra 4" tall shelf in the pantry that hold it and next to it my food saver and rolls of bags. 

IMG_3180.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Remember the first time I went to a supplier and tried to buy a box of 1000 sheets of parchment - they would only sell me a package of 100 sheets saying I'd never go through 1000. I was back in about a month - so they had no issue with me buying the big box!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Remember the first time I went to a supplier and tried to buy a box of 1000 sheets of parchment - they would only sell me a package of 100 sheets saying I'd never go through 1000. I was back in about a month - so they had no issue with me buying the big box!

I use it as placemats when having a crab, lobster, shrimp boil--over our outdoor table covered in newspaper. On my cutting board when slicing red beets. So handy. I did do research a dozen years ago about the different brands but supply chain issues I had to jump at what they had in stock. Some are better for high temps. Some more echo friendly, yada yada. Me no care at this point. 

• Like 1

I had forgotten that while I am a new convert to large sheets of parchment, I have a good supply of small sheets that I used to use for ice cream pre-CREAMi.  In his smashburger video Kenji covers his patties with small sheets of parchment before smashing so that the meat does not stick to the spatula.  I have found that if the beef is freshly ground there is no problem with sticking.  However if the ground beef is a few days old it sticks and makes a horrid mess.  Ask me how I learned last night.

Anyhow, a good use for small sheets of parchment.  I'm all set for hundreds of smashburgers.

• Like 1

I was gifted one of these on my last trip to Nova Scotia, brand new and still in the box. I don't expect to use it a lot, but it *is* a tool I've wanted to have kicking around. I expect I'll do more baking after midsummer, when we've moved in with my stepdaughter and the grandkids (the house was built as 2 units, but they've been living in the whole house until now).

618jkgXttaL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.450ac776c90b4a45899fabf3958b5fd6.jpg

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

A croissant dough cutter?

It can be, certainly, though I prefer the ones that cut triangles. It's used mostly for things like marking out sheet cakes and bar cookies into uniform pieces. You *can* cut with it, though ideally you only cut partway and then use something sharper for the final cuts after you've got it marked.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

It can be, certainly, though I prefer the ones that cut triangles. It's used mostly for things like marking out sheet cakes and bar cookies into uniform pieces. You *can* cut with it, though ideally you only cut partway and then use something sharper for the final cuts after you've got it marked.

I didn't look at the picture long enough.  We used the croissant rollers when I took my vienoiserie course.  Handy little things.  That was a long time ago.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I started buying the pre-cut 1/2 sheets at least 10 years ago. I never want to be without it again.

When we were doing our massive Christmas cookie baking before my Sweetie retired, parchment on the the half-sheet baking pans made it easy to slide the a sheet of cookies off of the pan onto the cooling rack.

I also use them, cut in half, to line half-size disposable foil pans of baked goods.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Annie_H 

which ones did you get ?  the same as the Vid ?

I throughly enjoyed the video

I think Ive seen the ' host ' in the past , but made no

bookmark .  big mistake .

anyone know his YT ref ?   love to watch some more

many thanks

43 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Annie_H 

I throughly enjoyed the video

I think Ive seen the ' host ' in the past , but made no

bookmark .  big mistake .

anyone know his YT ref ?   love to watch some more

many thanks

He’s Alex, here’s a link to his YouTube page.

Edited by DesertTinker
Punctuation (log)

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

which ones did you get ?

Not @Annie_H, but I've had these 10" ones for years: Reptile Feeding Tongs (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  At $6.99 for a set of 2 pairs, one straight, one angled, they are hardly precision instruments, but they do the job, which is mostly retrieving a piece of vegetable from under the pot without burning my fingers.  Haven't used them to plate pasta but they have been very handy to have around.  Also, the reviews about feeding reptiles and using them to eat Flaming Hot Cheetos without getting orange fingers are pretty hilarious. 

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I'll have to check my cart. Not the ones he linked. I read reviews. His brand are not on Amazon. 

I think his are 'fancier'. DH wants two pairs so I'll do a bit more research before hitting the 'purchase' button. Not expensive. 

His recent pasta videos are excellent and hilarious. 

I have a love/hate with my variety of tongs. Still not a favorite in the bunch. One is so spring loaded it flings sauce and food. 

My temp Spots came over the weekend. Nice design. I ordered 5. Must have been a bundle deal. I already have good fridge/freezer probes and two have alarms. 

This design is nice sitting in a few fridge areas, then move around for zone checks. 

IMG_3343.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

My temp Spots came over the weekend. Nice design. I ordered 5. Must have been a bundle deal. I already have good fridge/freezer probes and two have alarms. 

This design is nice sitting in a few fridge areas, then move around for zone checks. 

IMG_3343.jpeg

I got six.

In related news Thermoworks repaired my well out of warranty ThermaQ at no charge.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In related news Thermoworks repaired my well out of warranty ThermaQ at no charge.

Few company product manufacturers respond without question and go above and beyond to fix any issues. Thermowork have good products and stand by them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Few company product manufacturers respond without question and go above and beyond to fix any issues. Thermowork have good products and stand by them. 

USA Pans is another.  I had a problem with one of my 13" Pullman pans and they replaced it.  I also got to keep the one I complained about

• Like 1

I realise many might not regard this as  fun, but it's fun to me. After years of being deprived of Indian foodstuffs, I have finally found one purveyor. The choice is limited, but it is all imported from India. Today I took delivery of these two babies.

1496729908_LimePickle.thumb.jpg.f65ff52582d86e4f18521932fbdf949b.jpg

1402997994_MothersMangoPickle.thumb.jpg.4dbf38b3d6e4e62bec91da236b5e76d4.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

I waffled for a bit, then ended up with this brand after reading reviews. Delivered last night so no tested mileage yet. 'BIGSUNNY'

Silicone lids fit regular mouth and wide mouth Ball jars-just flip upside down. Snug fit and heavy duty. I would not toss in a travel bag but a good air-tight fit for the fridge. 'EchoPeaceful' brand. 8 in the box. Both amazon.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.05.15 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...