• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

On 3/10/2022 at 11:51 PM, btbyrd said:

Got my beastliest knife back from a spa day at District Cutlery. Definitely something fun. 

Is this the district cutlery in union station?    If so, do you like their work?   Have a couple of knives that are beyond my ability to sharpen.

That's the one! I highly recommend them for all kinds of knives, from the mundane to the extravagant. They can do everything from a basic sharpening to full restorations, chip repairs, major thinning, and regrinding/reprofiling. The prices are extremely reasonable (almost unreasonably reasonable) and the turnaround is super fast. I sharpen most of my knives myself, but sometimes you need (or just really want) to have a pro do it. And Ryan at District Cutlery actually knows what he's doing (unlike most of the "professional" sharpeners offered locally in the places I've lived). Almost all of their Instagram feed is focused on sharpening. Check it out.

• Like 3

For our anniversary, Jessica gave us a lovely gift. I collect mostly green Depression glass, but have a few prized pieces of pink. I am a huge fan of the combination of pastel green and pink and she actually found glasses with both colors. They are Weston Watermelon glasses with etching from the 1930s. Also a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc Bubbles:

IMG_8760.thumb.jpg.c5f27525ddc15ee0bafbaf0b52e80970.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

For our anniversary, Jessica gave us a lovely gift. I collect mostly green Depression glass, but have a few prized pieces of pink. I am a huge fan of the combination of pastel green and pink and she actually found glasses with both colors. They are Weston Watermelon glasses with etching from the 1930s. Also a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc Bubbles:

IMG_8760.thumb.jpg.c5f27525ddc15ee0bafbaf0b52e80970.jpg

I love these!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20220402_113755.thumb.jpg.d0ca50b9680d0328024c8ae948ad179c.jpg

New dehydrator came in. Have ordered more mats, trays and a cookbook.

For whatever reason, these won't rotate.

20220402_113806.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned elsewhere on eG that my faithful assistant in the kitchen, my wok had passed away. I bought a new one, of course. A 36cm uncoated, round-bottomed, handmade, cast iron chap, but recent personal attention has had to be paid to certain bureaucratic affairs with the Chinese government regarding my business have kept me busy recently. That has now been resolved and it's time to move on to dealing with new wok.

1433035665_wok36.jpg.cfb8fc0fd491405240265d29d484a590.jpg

It needs deep cleaning to remove the machine oil it is coated in both inside and out then carefully seasoned before being put into service.

But it's more complex.

A 36cm wok is too large for my everyday needs. I live alone. Also, I can't use a round-bottomed wok on a stand alone induction cooker which I sometimes require, so I also bought a 34cm flat bottomed fellow for those needs. It too is cast iron and non-coated. It too needs the same attention.

wok2.thumb.jpg.956522a238c11ccda9e566e9bf7c00f7.jpg

So the next couple of days, I'm going to be having fun dealing with that.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhouIs there a reason why you went with cast iron woks as opposed to carbon steel?

I suppose because they are what I've always used and they do hold their heat better. They're thermally more efficient, but need more care.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Kim surprised me with a couple of things off my Amazon wishlist:

IMG_9317.jpg.ef1c459ddd5c0156b46d08b6913f6b8f.jpg

The pans are 8x4-inch and I love those crisp, sharp edges!  He's been after me to make some of @Shelby's white bread and this was his final push 😁.  I use those custard cups a lot and was down to only 3 through breakage.  

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim surprised me with a couple of things off my Amazon wishlist:

IMG_9317.jpg.ef1c459ddd5c0156b46d08b6913f6b8f.jpg

The pans are 8x4-inch and I love those crisp, sharp edges!  He's been after me to make some of @Shelby's white bread and this was his final push 😁.  I use those custard cups a lot and was down to only 3 through breakage.  

Oooooh pretty shiny pans!

Thank GOODNESS.  I thought I was going to be shown something that I had to buy LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oooooh pretty shiny pans!

Thank GOODNESS.  I thought I was going to be shown something that I had to buy LOL.

Those custard cups do double duty here for mise en place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Those custard cups do double duty here for mise en place.

My mise en place bowls do double duty as custard cups (when measured by frequency of use for each respective purpose). My own supply is not as low as I'd thought, now that several have come home to roost after stints at other family members' houses, third-duty use in various other rooms, etc.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/12/2022 at 9:34 AM, chromedome said:

My mise en place bowls do double duty as custard cups (when measured by frequency of use for each respective purpose). My own supply is not as low as I'd thought, now that several have come home to roost after stints at other family members' houses, third-duty use in various other rooms, etc.

Same here, other than I don't like custard - it's a texture thing.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I haven't actually bought any of these - yet. But they sure are fun! This is an English computer translation of China's largest online shopping portal. 1¥ = 15cents  USD.

They do ship to the USA, but I imagine the shipping costs would be ridiculous! But you do decide to order something, please let me know and I'll give you a code which allows you a small discount! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

They do ship to the USA, but I imagine the shipping costs would be ridiculous! But you do decide to order something, please let me know and I'll give you a code which allows you a small discount! 🙂

.Haha. Very cute. I particularly like the noodle bowl ones. No desire to own one but I can still appreciate the appeal. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

.Haha. Very cute. I particularly like the noodle bowl ones. No desire to own one but I can still appreciate the appeal. 

My thoughts entirely - especially as it seems I have to buy 50 of any one design minimum order!

On 5/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, liuzhou said:

I haven't actually bought any of these - yet. But they sure are fun! This is an English computer translation of China's largest online shopping portal. 1¥ = 15cents  USD.

I'm weak. I succumbed.

keyring.thumb.jpg.4a7e19c5c59ec1dc35966a5f37f9e350.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm weak. I succumbed

So you have 50 of these?

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Anything for the kitchen I consider 'fun'. I've had these for a while. Lifetime scrubbie it seems. A drip of soap and salt or baking soda in my Chemex. --removing the collar is a PITA. Do that every few months if that. 

Made for cast iron and good for that if needed. Burnishes the good surface if something does cling. 

Two is important as one is always in the dishwasher. 

IMG_3274.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Anything for the kitchen I consider 'fun'. I've had these for a while. Lifetime scrubbie it seems. A drip of soap and salt or baking soda in my Chemex. --removing the collar is a PITA. Do that every few months if that. 

Made for cast iron and good for that if needed. Burnishes the good surface if something does cling. 

Two is important as one is always in the dishwasher. 

I use these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for cast iron and other hard to clean items.  Amazingly good scrubbies.