• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I finally saw these back in stock at my local HMart after a long absence:

20220305_173506_HDR.thumb.jpg.b7d8849b770d76903fb2776985ef3593.jpg

I am really excited - I've never tried them, but I'm really hoping they come out similar to one of the best airport snacks we've ever had....

IMG_0294.thumb.JPG.0c8336e17427250382d836feb77d7d5c.JPG

in the old domestic terminal of Don Muang airport in Bangkok while waiting for a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai.

Wow!  I'd definitely try those!

• Like 1

I had to laugh when I saw this.

My usual horse meat vendor was out of stock in the sausage department when I tried to reorder some the other day, so I went to one I hadn't used before and ordered a kilo of their smoked horse sausage. It arrived yesterday evening.

To my amazement, instead of a kilo of sausages, I got a kilo of sausage. One huge sausage weighing a shade under a kilo but well within their specified tolerance.

342033565_horse4.thumb.jpg.d110e6e14073bdc44dccf2dc27129725.jpg

More information and images on the Chinese Sausage topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was an "Amazon Vine Voice" for ten years until I resigned from it last October. Amazon would send me items for me to test and write reviews honestly and often mine were very critical.

I got a lot of appliances and the very last one I received was This Sausage Roll Maker

Sausage Roll Maker by StarBlue with FREE Recipe ebook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Which I gave a favorable 4-star review. 

I actually didn't use it much, only enough to write my review, I used store bought pie dough and some puff pastry dough.

Yesterday I prepared some regular pastry dough, which is now resting in the fridge.  I have plans to try some different combinations of sausage with "inclusions" dried fruits, etc. 

It performed better than I expected and can be quite versatile because I believe it would work with many different things, ground meat mixtures without the pastry, mini meatloaves, canapes, etc.

And I did finally download the "recipe book" after the distributor sent me a link via email.

Here's my review.

Sausage maker review.jpg

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

48 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I was an "Amazon Vine Voice" for ten years until I resigned from it last October. Amazon would send me items for me to test and write reviews honestly and often mine were very critical.

I got a lot of appliances and the very last one I received was This Sausage Roll Maker https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D2Z11BV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually didn't use it much, only enough to write my review, I used store bought pie dough and some puff pastry dough.

Yesterday I prepared some regular pastry dough, which is now resting in the fridge.  I have plans to try some different combinations of sausage with "inclusions" dried fruits, etc. 

It performed better than I expected and can be quite versatile because I believe it would work with many different things, ground meat mixtures without the pastry, mini meatloaves, canapes, etc.

And I did finally download the "recipe book" after the distributor sent me a link via email.

Here's my review.

Sausage maker review.jpg

LOL Amazon needs you. I'm tired of reviews that say everything is AMAZING!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:11 PM, andiesenji said:

I got a lot of appliances and the very last one I received was This Sausage Roll Maker

Sausage Roll Maker by StarBlue with FREE Recipe ebook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Here's my review.

Sausage maker review.jpg

I might actually use that thing.  I have a sandwich maker (like this one) that doesn't get much use.  I wonder if I could use it to make sausage rolls?  Hmmmm.

I remember coming upon some of your reviews.  In particular a positive review for a silicone sided, glass bottomed springform-type pan (which I still have and adore).  I think I even mentioned the coincidence here at eG.  

• Like 4

On 3/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, weinoo said:

I hadn't been inside the original store in two years...

IMG_6344.thumb.jpeg.a514f0525cd3acc628ca2da265e84c30.jpeg

Ahhhh...

Love the old GRamercy number. Reminds me of ads I used to hear on WOR waiting for Jean Shepherd to come on.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Got my beastliest knife back from a spa day at District Cutlery. Definitely something fun. 

OK, I'm impressed! (Couldn't find the right "reaction" and had to spell it out. :) )

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

Got my beastliest knife back from a spa day at District Cutlery. Definitely something fun. 

Frightening.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

560276020_BrevillePress.thumb.jpeg.de9c2ce11a1bb79d83b1e46eda95828e.jpeg

Ordered April, 2021. Arrived Saturday.  Mostly will be used (as was my Cuisinart griddle) for pressed sandwiches and  pancakes - it'll cook 8 at a time!

It was back ordered almost a year?!?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

560276020_BrevillePress.thumb.jpeg.de9c2ce11a1bb79d83b1e46eda95828e.jpeg

Ordered April, 2021. Arrived Saturday.  Mostly will be used (as was my Cuisinart griddle) for pressed sandwiches and  pancakes - it'll cook 8 at a time!

We have one of those.  They are awesome for pressed sandwiches.  For pancakes, I find one side cooks hotter than the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

It was back ordered almost a year?!?

Yes - via Williams Sonoma.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We have one of those.  They are awesome for pressed sandwiches.  For pancakes, I find one side cooks hotter than the other.

With separate controls, have you tried adjusting to be equal?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

With separate controls, have you tried adjusting to be equal?

So instead of "hot" and "not so hot" sides you have "not so hot" and "not so hot" sides - doesn't work for me

I have the Smart Grill - it doesn't have separate controls for the sides just time and temp - works fine

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/grills-sandwich-makers/bgr820.html?sku=BGR820XL

p

On 3/11/2022 at 4:51 AM, btbyrd said:

Wow! I find myself both magnetically drawn to, and utterly terrified of a knife like that. I’ve a feeling that just five minutes in its company and I would be bleeding profusely…

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, palo said:

So instead of "hot" and "not so hot" sides you have "not so hot" and "not so hot" sides - doesn't work for me

I have the Smart Grill - it doesn't have separate controls for the sides just time and temp - works fine

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/grills-sandwich-makers/bgr820.html?sku=BGR820XL

p

I have the Smart Grill also.  My plates don't heat evenly, but I'm glad to hear yours does.  @weinoo disregard my comment, we have different grills.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

My plates don't heat evenly, but I'm glad to hear yours does.

Are you using it open or closed? Same plate (grill or griddle) on both sides?

Open should have same temp, but closed the lower might get hotter due to convection

- same plates - I bought extras so I can have grill or griddle top and bottom at the same time - I think there might be a difference depending on which plate you're using

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

Are you using it open or closed? Same plate (grill or griddle) on both sides?

Open should have same temp, but closed the lower might get hotter due to convection

- same plates - I bought extras so I can have grill or griddle top and bottom at the same time - I think there might be a difference depending on which plate you're using

p

Same plates on each side.  I noticed it when cooking pancakes.

Those noodles look nice & pliable. I twitched at the rubber band so close to asp tips - the rubber bands, twist ties get snipped upon arrival home. 

• Like 1

Mincing/dicing garlic is always tedious for me. 

So, I recently got this little item from Amazon which has made my life a lot easier...did I mention that I don't like mincing garlic?

I'm quite impressed with my purchase.

clickety

• Like 3

@lindag 

nice clickers.

I no longer buy fresh garlic the stores

the intensity is too variable.

I use Dorot garlic , from Israel Fz in little cubes , minced/crushed

used to get it at TJ's , but its now 

at MarketBasket  so it's around.

the basil is also nice.  not the parsley.