• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

22 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Yes, @Kim Shook, I have some of those too. I use them for re-sealing a sous vide bag which I have cut open, but need to return to pot of water to keep warm. Eg. when making gravy.

Wow.  Mind completely blown.  Never would have occurred to me.  

• Like 3

I am just glad to finally know they have a name. I’ve probably had them as long as almost anyone on eG. I find them really good for resealing frozen vegetable packages.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

Is this akin to a stock cube in paste form?

A more informative answer. Sorry, last answer was posted at around 2 am and I was wilting.

Bovril ingredients:

Beef broth (50%), yeast extract* (27%), salt, caramel and various flavourings and flavour enhancers etc. The yeast extract gives it a much different and deeper flavour than you get from stock  cubes.

* containing barkley, oats, wheat and rye

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

57 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

For those who have the Gripstic’s, what are your most used sizes?

Mine are not Gripstic (sorry, I had no idea) and are without manufacturer ID, so counterfeit. And they're a different colour scheme. I'm pretty sure one is lost misplaced. I have (tip to tip) 5 1/8 inch, 7 3/8 inch, 11 3/8 inch. Official sizes listed as 4.7inch/7.4inch/9.0inch/11.4inch.

So far 9 inch is the most useful size.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

For those who have the Gripstic’s, what are your most used sizes?

The 13 inch pink ones are my least used. I use all the others quite a bit. I’ve been using the small blue 5 inch size a lot on bags of spices and chiles and need to get some more of them.  Otherwise, I probably use the medium 8.75 & 7.25 inch sizes the most in my fridge, freezer & pantry. I rarely have bags of chips or snack stuff around but the 11.25 inch are good if you do. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

A more informative answer. Sorry, last answer was posted at around 2 am and I was wilting.

Bovril ingredients:

Beef broth (50%), yeast extract* (27%), salt, caramel and various flavourings and flavour enhancers etc. The yeast extract gives it a much different and deeper flavour than you get from stock  cubes.

* containing barkley, oats, wheat and rye

But it is used to make stock?

When you said you kept it next to your marmite, I was wondering if you spread this on toast as well...lol.

Not the Gripstic, but it reminded me of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Jokari-169306P2-Hands-Free-Storage-Holder/dp/B0049NQEKO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1YSDGTU2H9W41&keywords=baggy+rack&qid=1646012510&s=kitchen&sprefix=baggy+rack%2Ckitchen%2C278&sr=1-4

Think sous vide, think vacuum sealing - getting a good seal means having the seal area clean and dry. I'd tried folding the bag back on itself, even made a funnel from a plastic bottle. Nothing worked satisfactorily, Then I discovered these - they held the bag securely, held it open and upright - hands free.

I've used them for soup, chicken pieces, just about ay thing that is wet and messy and my seal area is clean and dry. They ma not appear very substantial but they hold the bag securely and I haven't had any mishaps and the price is more than reasonable.

p

• Like 4

On 2/28/2022 at 1:54 AM, TicTac said:

But it is used to make stock?

When you said you kept it next to your marmite, I was wondering if you spread this on toast as well...lol.

I have never known anyone to make stock from Bovril. It would be too overpowering, I think. It has a very strong flavour. Nothing like you get from a stock cube.

Both Bovril and Marmite are used in the same ways. They are both spread on toast and used to make a drink. Drinks are more common with the Bovril; on toast more common with Marmite. Bovril drink are de rigeur at football (what you might call 'soccer') grounds.

Bovril even mentions the drink on the label by saying "Simply add one good teaspoon [to boiling water]", while Marmite also suggests adding it to hot water, surprisingly for soup. I've only known people to drink it as a hot drink.

2097646292_BovrilBack.thumb.jpg.33878ec27c1fc87daa55e4e29427fff2.jpg

36717594_MarmiteBack.thumb.jpg.afe32bdeec62637ffd9ee31ff5276700.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, palo said:

Not the Gripstic, but it reminded me of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Jokari-169306P2-Hands-Free-Storage-Holder/dp/B0049NQEKO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1YSDGTU2H9W41&keywords=baggy+rack&qid=1646012510&s=kitchen&sprefix=baggy+rack%2Ckitchen%2C278&sr=1-4

Think sous vide, think vacuum sealing - getting a good seal means having the seal area clean and dry. I'd tried folding the bag back on itself, even made a funnel from a plastic bottle. Nothing worked satisfactorily, Then I discovered these - they held the bag securely, held it open and upright - hands free.

I've used them for soup, chicken pieces, just about ay thing that is wet and messy and my seal area is clean and dry. They ma not appear very substantial but they hold the bag securely and I haven't had any mishaps and the price is more than reasonable.

p

I have these also.  They're great!

Got myself a bunch of these 'swedish dishcloths' the other day. I picked up one at the gift show a few years back and have been using it in the chocolate room. It drys between uses, never smells and does a wonderful job of cleaning molds. 

review

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got myself a bunch of these 'swedish dishcloths' the other day. I picked up one at the gift show a few years back and have been using it in the chocolate room. It drys between uses, never smells and does a wonderful job of cleaning molds. 

review

Thanks for your review Serious Eats was touting them recently. I may be in. https://www.seriouseats.com/swedish-dishcloth-uses-5219854

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

review

Expensive in CA (as is everything)

p

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:01 AM, paulraphael said:

I plan to repair the Baratza and give it to my mom, who has a Capresso that doesn't work right (and that company doesn't sell parts). 

I think I've talked myself into purchassing the Baratza Encore.  

I recently changed to pour-over for my morning cup and it was an improvement.

I sole my old Technivorm that made great coffee but required that I make more than I could use.

Currently I'm using pre-ground Morning Joe from Starbucks but I think I need to move up to grinding my own beans which I haven't been doing for several years.

I tend to like the Starbucks dark roasts but I'm open to suggestionds.

@lindag 

I had the Encore for many years.  still have it

I moved to the Sette 30 for drip as its much easier to clean

but for years I did clean the Encore successfully 

if you are near a Tj's , they have some interesting whole bean coffees.

I roast my own , but when I haven't gotten around to it

Tj's is fine for drip 

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

I think I've talked myself into purchassing the Baratza Encore.  

I'm obviously not the person you asked but I think you will be very happy with the Encore for pour-over coffee.  After using whirly blade grinders for many years, I bought a Baratza Virtuoso, which is pretty much the same thing.  I was amazed at the improvement the burr grinder made.  I've had it for about 6 years and am still happy with it.  I do open it up from time to time and use a brush to clean it out.  As @rotuts mentioned, it is important to do that to clean it to avoid off-flavors from stale coffee.   I also made a similar switch from a drip machine to an Aeropress so I just make a cup at a time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@lindag 

I had the Encore for many years.  still have it

I moved to the Sette 30 for drip as its much easier to clean

but for years I did clean the Encore successfully 

if you are near a Tj's , they have some interesting whole bean coffees.

I roast my own , but when I haven't gotten around to it

Tj's is fine for drip 

Thanks for the tips, however, there's no TJ's within this whole region.

• Sad 1

I finally saw these back in stock at my local HMart after a long absence:

20220305_173506_HDR.thumb.jpg.b7d8849b770d76903fb2776985ef3593.jpg

I am really excited - I've never tried them, but I'm really hoping they come out similar to one of the best airport snacks we've ever had....

IMG_0294.thumb.JPG.0c8336e17427250382d836feb77d7d5c.JPG

in the old domestic terminal of Don Muang airport in Bangkok while waiting for a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai.

• Like 5