• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

In the South, a set of silverware is incomplete without matching iced tea spoons!  😁

They are iced teaspoons. But no need for 'iced tea' here. My iced tea is green---ginger/lemon, lots of ice, after morning black Chemex coffee. No sugar or cream. 

The 'tea' spoons are narrow that fit my spice mix containers. And double duty as tasting spoons. Simple as that. 

• Like 3

I got a pour-over cone coffee dripper here.

Since I make just one cup of cofee each morning and I finally tired of the Keurig K-cup coffee that just doesn't have enough flavor. 

Additionally, I use ground coffee as I don't want mess of grinding my own...been there.  I found a new coffee that I really like, it's Starbucks MorningJoe and it's great.  Smooth and full of flavor.  My morning cup is so much better these days and only takes a couple more minutes.

• Like 5

IMG_6009.thumb.jpeg.b04ddfed9398da66191cae5fbb54d60a.jpeg

This all came today, from that CSA-ish thing I joined.  Monthly delivery, quite customizable.

Walden Local

It all looks lovely, and I can't wait to try some. It'll have to wait a bit as I have both a Berkeshire pork chop (D'artagnan) on the counter ready to cook, and a whole, salted Bobo chicken in the fridge, to be cooked tomorrow.

• Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

We're they crispy?

umm. Kind of begs the meaning of crispy. Were they shatteringly crisp? No. Did they have a satisfying crunch/chew to them? Yes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

I was gifted a fun kitchen thingie...

IMG_6071.thumb.jpeg.9efefb82c5e249261199e8f0f7060955.jpeg

The finamilll from Burlap & Barrel.

I've had a few Burlap spices on hand, and this came with 3 different spices and/or herbs.  Kinda fun.

• Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/18/2022 at 6:19 PM, weinoo said:

This all came today, from that CSA-ish thing I joined.  Monthly delivery, quite customizable.

I really like Walden. Not sure how they pull it off with free shipping with their own vans at such a reasonable price. We have the customizable, to a point---select some key desirables for 89$. A few add-ons. My next delivery is the end of this month. Easy to put it off for a while----our last delivery was pre-thanksgiving. I just added, this morning, lots of ofal,--- chicken paws, necks, and various bones for a master stock. 

...and they answer their phones if need be. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is fun.

It's freezing here and when it's freezing I want comfort. So, this put a smile on my face this morning.

Bovril1.thumb.jpg.5b86541605526154ea235ae18dc2ec88.jpg

I'm placing it next to my Marmite (and I don't mean a French stockpot!)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I got something absolutely amazing the other day --  a Meiji Era soba bowl, 120-130 years old. 

In short, I run a YouTube channel and I kept getting requests to make soba and udon so I took it as an opportunity to learn how to make them from scratch -- and so I started looking for the tools. After quite a bit of antiquing, I finally found what I knew would be perfect, a huge soba bowl (50cm across, 20cm deep, 4cm thick). Hand carved on the outside and sanded smooth as silk on the inside.

I would post a pic but because it's black on the outside, I need to break out lighting or it just looks meh. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, cteavin said:

I got something absolutely amazing the other day --  a Meiji Era soba bowl, 120-130 years old. 

In short, I run a YouTube channel and I kept getting requests to make soba and udon so I took it as an opportunity to learn how to make them from scratch -- and so I started looking for the tools. After quite a bit of antiquing, I finally found what I knew would be perfect, a huge soba bowl (50cm across, 20cm deep, 4cm thick). Hand carved on the outside and sanded smooth as silk on the inside.

I would post a pic but because it's black on the outside, I need to break out lighting or it just looks meh. 

Very cool.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This is fun.

It's freezing here and when it's freezing I want comfort. So, this put a smile on my face this morning.

I'm placing it mext to my Marmite (and I don't mean a French stockpot!)

That was always in the cupboard growing up. 

• Like 1

IIRC, Peter Ustinov claimed in his memoir that "Bovril" was his first spoken word (I'm not at home this week, and can't check my copy for verification, but I'm pretty sure).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

IIRC, Peter Ustinov claimed in his memoir that "Bovril" was his first spoken word (I'm not at home this week, and can't check my copy for verification, but I'm pretty sure).

I don't remember that, but he definitely said that his mother thought it strange that every town on the railway line in England was called Bovril. You can see and hear him saying so in this video.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

i had forgotten Peter Ustinov. I'm not sure i ever knew what an excellent mimic he was. What a delightful, funny clip! Thank you.. 

eta thoughtful as well

Edited to add even later (there's a lot to unpack from that video): was "Peter and the Wolf" a regular association for him, or just something for this program?

Edited by Smithy
many reasons (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This definitely falls into the fun category. It certainly fulfills minimal practical use.

basket.thumb.jpg.51a4923192a1e6b5e0c07583a6b1231f.jpg

Standard steamer basket as found in every Chinese kitchen (Chinese Food Myth No. 3)

Nope. This one contains three lovely buns. What flavour? The only clue is "no essential oil, no fragrance" in the product description. Yep, the buns are candles. Even came with some matches to light the things!

1824275067_basketandcandles.thumb.jpg.295b017d3d0dc9288fe99d6e4d1e0dd5.jpg

Scented buns were an option. Scents included gardenia, caramel, ice cream, peach, pear etc. No bao flavours!

I suppose your dim sum can now be less dim!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

20220226_082943_HDR.thumb.jpg.d6978808a3ebf2bf00fbf9ccaa5a3acf.jpg

Torch ginger flower (frozen). I can't wait to use one!  Unfortunately, I was in the store looking for frozen sand ginger (also called lesser galangal) or kencur in Bahasa, and couldn't find it anywhere.  Nor can I find it online.  I can find it in its dried form easily, but I assume that like most things, the dried form has a very different flavor and usage than the fresh or frozen.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 5

On 2/22/2022 at 2:05 AM, liuzhou said:

This is fun.

I'm placing it mext to my Marmite (and I don't mean a French stockpot!)

Is this akin to a stock cube in paste form?

I can't remember who recommended these Gripstic things:

IMG_8315.thumb.jpg.e85017820031f6fd9fcab8bfae7b638f.jpg

but I'm besotted with them.  We are big (pun intended) chip/snack people.  We just went through our giant 64-quart tub of chip bags and tossed all the stale ones - and we still have at least a dozen in-use bags left.  These sticks are so much better than the chip clips I've been using.  They've passed the ultimate test - I'm tempted to buy a set for everyone for Xmas this year! 😄

• Like 8