• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

19 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

My Christmas haul:

IMG_7890.thumb.jpg.d2e9428709f4361ac13dcbf546c5fd2f.jpg

The "Yes you can" is a battery operated can opener (arthritic hands) that zips off the entire top of the can.  The stick thing is designed to get the last little bit from the bottom around the blades of the Vitamix.  I am hoping that it will ease my disgruntlement at the fact that the bottom doesn't screw off like in other blenders.  

From my stocking:

IMG_7891.jpg.fef15b104ae824c90e0f2198401b5adc.jpg

Santa overdid it a bit on the candy element because he was constrained to just stocking gifts this year as we are were are planning a trip in November for just the two of us.  This may or may not happen now.  

Wowza!!!  I love seeing all of this!!!  Lucky you!

The Southern Living Cookbook is something I might purchase.  

I'd steal the smoked oysters and the mallow cups if you weren't looking ;) 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  Where was the Vitamix thingy purchased?  

Mr. Kim says he got it from the Vitamix website.

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wowza!!!  I love seeing all of this!!!  Lucky you!

The Southern Living Cookbook is something I might purchase.  

I'd steal the smoked oysters and the mallow cups if you weren't looking ;) 

I get the SL annual every year (😉) and I don't think I've ever cooked a SL recipe that wasn't good.  I adore smoked oysters and I haven't had one since the damn pandemic started.  Mr. Kim and Jessica hate even the smell of them and I try not to eat them when they are in the house.  I don't think I've been alone since February 2020!  LOL  But my mom and @Ted Fairhead loved them and Santa always put them in our stockings.  We attended a wedding rehearsal dinner some years ago where we brought shame upon our family over smoked oysters.  They had buffet tables with, among other things, punch bowls of smoked oysters.  The three of us hung around one of the punch bowls for an inordinate amount of time.  Mr. Kim finally had to threaten to have us removed.  It was heaven while it lasted, though!  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I get the SL annual every year (😉) and I don't think I've ever cooked a SL recipe that wasn't good.  I adore smoked oysters and I haven't had one since the damn pandemic started.  Mr. Kim and Jessica hate even the smell of them and I try not to eat them when they are in the house.  I don't think I've been alone since February 2020!  LOL  But my mom and @Ted Fairhead loved them and Santa always put them in our stockings.  We attended a wedding rehearsal dinner some years ago where we brought shame upon our family over smoked oysters.  They had buffet tables with, among other things, punch bowls of smoked oysters.  The three of us hung around one of the punch bowls for an inordinate amount of time.  Mr. Kim finally had to threaten to have us removed.  It was heaven while it lasted, though!  😂

Well, I haven't ordered a new cookbook for a while, and I'm feeling like I deserve it, so tomorrow that will happen.

I LOVE smoked oysters--I knew we were some kind of sisters ;) 

• Like 3

I too love smoked oysters, and haven't found kindred souls with which to share them. Once upon a time I had friends to whom I'd bring extra-special food treats when I came to visit for the week: smoked oysters, lemon curd, I forget what else. It was when I trotted out the lemon curd that my dear friend Joan gave me a funny look. She said, "You always were an adventuresome eater!" I got the message, and the curd came home with me. 😄

My recent fun acquisition is this Alaskan Ulu Knife that a friend gave me. It's the Alaskan (Inuit?) version of a mezzaluna, and it's sharp. It took me a while to get the rocking motion for chopping herbs or garlic. I don't know what it will take to use it to skin a seal or deer, but rather doubt I'll be using it that way any time soon.

20220107_174703.jpg

I also like the "Damascus finish" on the blade, though it gives me a bit of cognitive dissonance. :) 

• Like 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

My Christmas haul:

IMG_7890.thumb.jpg.d2e9428709f4361ac13dcbf546c5fd2f.jpg

The "Yes you can" is a battery operated can opener (arthritic hands) that zips off the entire top of the can.  The stick thing is designed to get the last little bit from the bottom around the blades of the Vitamix.  I am hoping that it will ease my disgruntlement at the fact that the bottom doesn't screw off like in other blenders.  

From my stocking:

IMG_7891.jpg.fef15b104ae824c90e0f2198401b5adc.jpg

Santa overdid it a bit on the candy element because he was constrained to just stocking gifts this year as we are were are planning a trip in November for just the two of us.  This may or may not happen now.  

I have quite a collection of the Viancin lids (and bowls).  The smoked oyster stories are great.  Years ago I was sending care packages to Armed Service members in Afghanistan and Iraq.  I was putting in soap, pillows, candy, jerky etc usually, but one day I started including in cans of smoked oysters on a lark.  I got letters back from the recipients with excitement over the smoked oysters.  Who knew?    Lots of smoked oyster fans out there it seems.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I too love smoked oysters, and haven't found kindred souls with which to share them. Once upon a time I had friends to whom I'd bring extra-special food treats when I came to visit for the week: smoked oysters, lemon curd, I forget what else. It was when I trotted out the lemon curd that my dear friend Joan gave me a funny look. She said, "You always were an adventuresome eater!" I got the message, and the curd came home with me. 😄

My recent fun acquisition is this Alaskan Ulu Knife that a friend gave me. It's the Alaskan (Inuit?) version of a mezzaluna, and it's sharp. It took me a while to get the rocking motion for chopping herbs or garlic. I don't know what it will take to use it to skin a seal or deer, but rather doubt I'll be using it that way any time soon.

20220107_174703.jpg

I also like the "Damascus finish" on the blade, though it gives me a bit of cognitive dissonance. :) 

I was gifted with an ulu several years ago by my then-sister in law, but sadly it's a souvenir-shop item and rather less sharp than your average butter knife.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

45 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I too love smoked oysters, and haven't found kindred souls with which to share them.

My recent fun acquisition is this Alaskan Ulu Knife that a friend gave me.

Too bad we didn't meet some 50 years ago.    I remember many martinis accompanied by smoked oysters heated over a candle.    While I still enjoy an occasional martini, I so overindulged in warm, smoked oysters  (on an empty stomach) that I've relegated then to the fond memories category.   

And I did once own an Ulu knife.    It didn't fit into my regime and I worried about other householders injuring themselves to it passed it on.    It could have been an outstanding kitchen aide had I kept it around and added it to my battery.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I adore smoked oysters and I haven't had one since the damn pandemic started. 

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Well, I haven't ordered a new cookbook for a while, and I'm feeling like I deserve it, so tomorrow that will happen.

I LOVE smoked oysters--I knew we were some kind of sisters ;) 

41 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I too love smoked oysters, and haven't found kindred souls with which to share them.

My husband IS MAD for good smoked oysters and he especially loves smoked Pacific oysters. @Smithythere used to be a couple who sold beautiful plump Washington State smoked oysters at the farmers' markets in Sahuarita/Green Valley, Arizona (and maybe up at Tucson, not sure about that). They lived in WA half the year and would smoke the Pacific oysters and bring some down with them, along with some salmon and halibut products. Mike (husband) said they were some of the very best smoked oysters and had a hard time going back to the tiny canned Asian ones. Can't remember his business name, but if Mike can find it, I will share it. 

But for smoked oyster lovers who would like North American oysters, try searching for smoked Pacific oysters. A quick search found me this:

https://seabear.com/products/smoked-pacific-northwest-oysters

We do have some lovely local oysters here on Vancouver Island and there are a few businesses that have smoked them, but for various reasons they are harder to find these days. There is one that I haven't tried though and I think I will put in an order. They do ship to the US, but they run out fast and they are currently out. 

https://stjeans.com/product/pacific-smoked-oysters/

And I'm guessing there are lovely east coast ones, also, in both Canada and US. 

Yes, these smoked oysters are a lot more expensive than the Asian ones, but most of us don't eat that many at one time. OK, maybe @Kim Shookdoes. 😀😀😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I was gifted with an ulu several years ago by my then-sister in law, but sadly it's a souvenir-shop item and rather less sharp than your average butter knife.

Ex gifted me a really nice one from an Alaska trip (he is a knife guy) but as with many things I've lost it after many moves. It HAS to be here somewhere. Now ya got me thinking of hunting.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

If you happen to have say a 9” wood bowl laying around brown an onion, sauté some chicken livers pretty delicately, braise them in a little port,  add some capers and put the results in the wooden bowl. Hand chop this with your souvenir uluu. Best reason I’ve found to keep one around. Oh, and they’re pretty easy to sharpen 

470D6B69-3436-471A-BAFD-8CFE3511574B.jpeg

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Like 2

It's probably still cluttering up a box or drawer somewhere in my storage locker. I'll keep that in mind, next time I see a wooden bowl at the thrift store. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I’ve never eaten a smoked oyster other than the char-grilled variety. But I do have an ulu a friend brought back from Alaska. A fine knife for herb-chopping.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Same, had it for a while and find it very useful for scraping out the last bits from the odd corners of the vitamix carafe.

• Thanks 1

I didn't actually get this, but I was amused to see it in the supermarket this morning. Fancy a bit of smlnon?

At first I guessed they had misspelled salmon, but looking at the contents changed my mind. It is a strangely artificial pink colour - like 'strawberry' yogurt. Definitely died, I'd say. Or dyed. I could almost see the brush strokes.

The curved writing at the bottom, above the image, assures me it is fresh (it isn't), non-greasy and boneless.  It wouldn't surprise me if it were also fishless.

smlnon.thumb.jpg.32c8c5506c941fc592d312258e6d4db8.jpg

More fun trying to work it out than that silly word game everyone is playing!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I didn't actually get his, but I was amused to see it in the supermarket this morning. Fancy a bit of smlnon?

At first I guessed they had misspelled salmon, but looking at the contents changed my mind. It is a strangely artificial pink colour - like 'strawberry' yogurt. Definitely died, I'd say. I could almost see the brush strokes.

The curved writing at the bottom, above the image, assures me it is fresh (it isn't), non-greasy and boneless.  It wouldn't surprise me if it were also fishless.

smlnon.thumb.jpg.32c8c5506c941fc592d312258e6d4db8.jpg

More fun trying to work it out than that silly word game everyone is playing!

In China, is it mandatory to have an ingredient list (verified by a 3rd party) on the label as it is in many countries in the West?

Santa brought me 3 Classic series Wusthoff knives: the 8" chef's, a maybe 3.5" paring,  and a bread slicer. The chef's knife feels way,way better in my hand than my 8" Henkel International. I'm mostly a 10" chef's knife guy, but sometimes the 8" better fits what I'm cutting/slicing up. I keep two 10" CKs in my knife block, one strictly for veggie prep that gets hand-washed, and the other is for use on proteins and, like most of my knives, goes into the dishwasher.  That knife is 39 years old and still going strong. 

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Only exciting if once received we say over-and-over, "how did we live without?". Two small mini stainless sheet pans with racks. Since delivery Jan 3rd they have been in rotation use since. One is always in the dishwasher. I have a couple aluminum ones that need to be hand washed. I use them for thawing and fridge dry brining. Tiny but perfect for finding fridge room. I'm salting some cod fillets for tomorrow and thawing some chicken in the other one right now. 

The only bad reviews were, "much smaller than the pic seemed". Well duh, you need to get out a ruler. 

'baking sheet rack mat set' from amazon.

IMG_2162.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 10

19 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Only exciting if once received we say over-and-over, "how did we live without?". Two small mini stainless sheet pans with racks. Since delivery Jan 3rd they have been in rotation use since. One is always in the dishwasher. I have a couple aluminum ones that need to be hand washed. I use them for thawing and fridge dry brining. Tiny but perfect for finding fridge room. I'm salting some cod fillets for tomorrow and thawing some chicken in the other one right now. 

The only bad reviews were, "much smaller than the pic seemed". Well duh, you need to get out a ruler. 

'baking sheet rack mat set' from amazon.

IMG_2162.jpeg

I have one that size (pan only) and use it all the time.  What I use even more are 1/8 size sheet pans.  I have three of them and I use them pretty much every day.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

have one that size (pan only) and use it all the time. 

It is pretty sweet. I seared a NY strip last night for a salad. It is in the freezer with little room but no problem being so small. (slightly frozen for easier slicing thin). 

Another goodie purchase a few years ago is 'iced tea spoons'. They fit in my spice jars and have prime real estate in one of my drawers just under my prep. Sitting the long way left-righ front. I just open the drawer a few inches and no need to even look. Tasting spoons and with RG scarlet runners at this moment on the back burner,  I can check for tender and stir in salts and aromatics. I used demi-tas expresso spoons for years. What a pleasure to have long tasting spoons. Just another under 20$ purchase used daily all day long...

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 2.27.28 PM.png

• Like 5

On 1/9/2022 at 2:45 AM, liuzhou said:

Happiness arrived this evening! 24 X 400ml of Guinness, imported from Ireland. Rare stuff around here.

Guiness.thumb.jpg.0761728216fcfb1dbc54a70c7e6b29cc.jpg

When I visited my daughter in Ireland, I was shocked to find out that I actually like Guinness. Reason being is that it is totally different from the Guinness that we get in Canada.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

It is pretty sweet. I seared a NY strip last night for a salad. It is in the freezer with little room but no problem being so small. (slightly frozen for easier slicing thin). 

Another goodie purchase a few years ago is 'iced tea spoons'. They fit in my spice jars and have prime real estate in one of my drawers just under my prep. Sitting the long way left-righ front. I just open the drawer a few inches and no need to even look. Tasting spoons and with RG scarlet runners at this moment on the back burner,  I can check for tender and stir in salts and aromatics. I used demi-tas expresso spoons for years. What a pleasure to have long tasting spoons. Just another under 20$ purchase used daily all day long...

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 2.27.28 PM.png

How are these different from iced tea spoons?

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

How are these different from iced tea spoons?

Me too wondering, I have a few from a garage sale set of cutlery and I love them for various purposes.