• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

My Thermopen stopped working a few weeks ago. Assuming it needed a new battery, that I needed to order, it is still not working. 

I really miss it. Had a special spot in the drawer. Hard rule it does not leave the kitchen. (a couple cheap ones for the BBQ)

Off to Thermopen to look at getting another and seeing if I can send this one in. They have a new model but decided on the 'pop' for now.

Good price so purchased a few and a a bunch of the BOGO trivet/pot holders. Needing some 10-20$ holiday gifts. Thinking one might replace an annoying spoon rest. I often have a few spoons I need to set down that should not touch. Dishwasher safe. 

You need to 'add to cart' for each one, then the discount happens automatically at check-out. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.10.08 AM.png

• Like 5

I also added these mini spatulas. We just lost one recently having a silicone head and hard plastic handle that snapped. These are 8inch that fit into smaller jars. 

I have the fridge thermometer on the left but needed one for the freezer downstairs. It has an alarm. Needed after some nightmares about the turkey breaking the shelf and forcing the door open. (can't happen having moved it to the bottom lowest bin but nightmares don't care). Good design. They go to sleep with the door shut and turn on when they register light/door open. 

The twin pack from Amazon were junk even with good reviews. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.12.38 AM.png

• Like 5

On 11/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, liuzhou said:

The mortar is about 6 inches wide at the rim and stands about 4½  inches tall, so not huge. It weighs 5½ lbs.

I also have a "collection" of mortar and pestles.  My favorite for decades, a huge Mason Cash one from the 1940s that had a rough interior that was perfect for crushing and grinding anything from hard spices to soft herbs. I actually wept when it broke, totally my fault, I always washed it by hand and I was rinsing it and struck the sink divider with the top edge a large C-shaped piece fell off.  

The oldest one I still have is a brass one I bought at a Turkish restaurant in the '60s.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 11/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, Annie_H said:

Off to Thermopen to look at getting another and seeing if I can send this one in. They have a new model but decided on the 'pop' for now.

That's a good price on the pop and a good choice.  I have a pen and a pop and end up using the pop more often.  It lives in the utensil tin next to the stove to it's easy to grab vs rummaging in a drawer, I don't need to break my fingernails prying the probe out and I can let it stand in a cup or bowl as I monitor something cooling to temp. 

• Like 5

On 11/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, blue_dolphin said:

That's a good price on the pop and a good choice.

I'm happy with the choice. It came today with the other items. Much earlier than predicted. The silicone trivets/pot holders should be much better than my previous stack of three spoon rests we never cared for. The waffle texture on both sides is deep enough to 'collect' liquids. I always seem to have a wooden spoon, a ladle, or other in meats or chili...then my favorite dozen iced tea spoons I use for condiments and dry spices. Should be room for everybody. I'll keep a few and gift the rest. Doubt they will be used as pot holders as I have that category covered. 

IMG_1484.jpeg

• Like 6

In the realm of "probably don't need this, but couldn't resist," this creme brûlée set:

619Y+gUK+GL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I absolutely hate removing ramekins from water baths with tongs, so I think the frame for this will be helpful. The pan it comes with is a standard 8x8 cake pan, so it's not really a unitasker other than the wire frame. And it was $12ish.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

9E998A26-9304-4A2C-9569-19E2850FD75B.thumb.jpeg.e2698757161cb346be16bdeb0baef078.jpeg

I’ve been wanting something like this for years. Ovens are untamable beasts, and turkeys are fickle math problems. Never has there been a better justification for TMI. Especially on a year like this when I wasn’t hosting, but would be a guest at 2 separate holiday dinners, with a sense (based on experience) that I’d be asked for some help (what temperature do you think? How long? Is it ready?). Thrmocouple probes to the rescue. One in the thick slow part, one in the breast, and one open air to keep an eye on the oven. No more surprises! No more guessing! No more thinking! Yes, more wine for the guest cook. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

9E998A26-9304-4A2C-9569-19E2850FD75B.thumb.jpeg.e2698757161cb346be16bdeb0baef078.jpeg

I’ve been wanting something like this for years. Ovens are untamable beasts, and turkeys are fickle math problems. Never has there been a better justification for TMI. Especially on a year like this when I wasn’t hosting, but would be a guest at 2 separate holiday dinners, with a sense (based on experience) that I’d be asked for some help (what temperature do you think? How long? Is it ready?). Thrmocouple probes to the rescue. One in the thick slow part, one in the breast, and one open air to keep an eye on the oven. No more surprises! No more guessing! No more thinking! Yes, more wine for the guest cook. 

You may have (a) given me the justification to pull the trigger on this and (b) given me an idea for what I want for Christmas!

I can't quite see in the display, though: is there a third spot in the display where the oven temperature is shown? I see only two temperatures, one with an alarm set, the other with no alarm set.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I have a ThermaQ WiFi and plenty of probes.  What is TMI?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 11/16/2021 at 4:14 PM, TdeV said:

Thanks @Annie_H, you reminded me to buy some of those trivets!

I'm keeping three trivets. Game changer in multi-tasking. One one the left of the stove for ladles, spoons, sauce/spice rubs...one on the far left front of the cooktop. One in the dishwasher in rotation. Shocking how much water they hold right out of the dishwasher but a shake in the sink, then a few hours on a hook above to dry---back in rotation. 

We are both happy to retire the stack of three spoon rests used the past 10 yrs. Annoying counter hogs. Into the donation box they go..."see ya".  

On 11/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, dtremit said:

I absolutely hate removing ramekins from water baths with tongs, so I think the frame for this will be helpful. The pan it comes with is a standard 8x8 cake pan, so it's not really a unitasker other than the wire frame. And it was $12ish.

I would not hesitate for that frame lift. One of the few sweets we love. 

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Thrmocouple probes to the rescue. One in the thick slow part, one in the breast, and one open air to keep an eye on the oven. No more surprises! No more guessing! No more thinking! Yes, more wine for the guest cook. 

I so agree. Nice purchase treat ---temp without guessing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I'm keeping three trivets. Game changer in multi-tasking. One one the left of the stove for ladles, spoons, sauce/spice rubs...one on the far left front of the cooktop. One in the dishwasher in rotation. Shocking how much water they hold right out of the dishwasher but a shake in the sink, then a few hours on a hook above to dry---back in rotation. 

And there's a Black Friday special price of $4.90 each!

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

You may have (a) given me the justification to pull the trigger on this and (b) given me an idea for what I want for Christmas!

I can't quite see in the display, though: is there a third spot in the display where the oven temperature is shown? I see only two temperatures, one with an alarm set, the other with no alarm set.

It takes up to 4 probes but only shows readouts from 2 at a time. It cycles between them every few seconds, or you can move it to the next screen by hitting the arrow button. 

if you’re only using 1 or 2 probes, it stays on the relevant screen. 

You can set alarms individually for the probes.  

it doesn’t come with probes. You can buy different types from thermoworks, or use any other company’s K-type thermocouples. Just be aware that quality and accuracy varies quite a bit, as does the temperature range that the wires can survive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may not look important, but this is the best tool I've purchased in a long time:

For $6.99 USD it was a steal and it replaced about half a dozen other lesser spatulas in my kitchen.  Really sturdy and super handy for any number of tasks.

Spatula

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Chrismas cheese order arrived this morning. That's 2.6 kg / 5lb 11 oz (approx) of Cheddar and 500 grams / 1 lb of Manchego. I'll unwrap it nearer the day.

258225200_christmascheese.thumb.jpg.a97a5f3c1cbc4ff0af1073f864ab1144.jpg

In preparation, I preordered some waxed paper for storage of the Cheddar in smaller pieces. The paper is covered with this bizarre "recipe" for bread. Ingredients include 'bread'! That is fun.

bakery.thumb.jpg.70afad96df99642dc6caace0ddc864dd.jpg

That's it. No instructions.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_7822.thumb.jpg.17575c8074d6e457af7121e4cb702696.jpg

New coffee grinder (for brewed coffee only). Fellow Ode.

A nice step up from my trusty old Baratza, that just broke for the 2nd or 3rd time. The great thing about Baratza is they sell all the replacement parts, and post all the DIY videos. But the gizmo I need is out of stock for a few weeks, and we need coffee now!

My friend who owns my favorite coffee shop (and does all the roasting) recommended this one. He roasts very light, which is a challenge for grinders that don't have burly motors and burrs ... possibly why my grinder kept breaking.

I plan to repair the Baratza and give it to my mom, who has a Capresso that doesn't work right (and that company doesn't sell parts). 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My Christmas haul:

IMG_7890.thumb.jpg.d2e9428709f4361ac13dcbf546c5fd2f.jpg

The "Yes you can" is a battery operated can opener (arthritic hands) that zips off the entire top of the can.  The stick thing is designed to get the last little bit from the bottom around the blades of the Vitamix.  I am hoping that it will ease my disgruntlement at the fact that the bottom doesn't screw off like in other blenders.  

From my stocking:

IMG_7891.jpg.fef15b104ae824c90e0f2198401b5adc.jpg

Santa overdid it a bit on the candy element because he was constrained to just stocking gifts this year as we are were are planning a trip in November for just the two of us.  This may or may not happen now.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1