• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

This one?

1362438222_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.ba7576ba104951dff481c0e6694fbda1.jpeg

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Yes indeed.  I think every kitchen should have one.

I've never worked with a Danish dough whisk but any sort of whisk looks to me like it would be very difficult to move through bread dough. Help me visualize this, please. At what stage does someone use this, and why is it so great?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, it WAS.   Sadly closed its doors a couple of years ago.   

It's been relaunched in a limited way by the old company's former CEO, under the name of Outdoor Supply Hardware. Same look, same feel, many of the same locations. Apparently they're doing well within their limited footprint.

https://chainstoreage.com/store-spaces/orchard-supply-hardware-to-be-revived-sort-of

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

've never worked with a Danish dough whisk but any sort of whisk looks to me like it would be very difficult to move through bread dough. Help me visualize this, please. At what stage does someone use this, and why is it so great?

At the start, when mixing the liquid into the dry ingredients, until they come together and form a cohesive mass.  Then it can continue to be no-knead from that point, gently kneaded, etc. etc.  Works amazingly well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I've never worked with a Danish dough whisk but any sort of whisk looks to me like it would be very difficult to move through bread dough. Help me visualize this, please. At what stage does someone use this, and why is it so great?

I just made some muffins and took the picture below.  I use it for any loose batter/dough (e.g. pancakes,  yorkshire pudding) as it makes really short work of mixing.  It works really well on wet bread doughs such as foccacia and no-knead dough.

20210505_183029.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/5/2021 at 3:50 PM, weinoo said:

This one?

1362438222_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.ba7576ba104951dff481c0e6694fbda1.jpeg

Did a quick Google on these, one of the first hits was a link to Amazon. They've got a current offer, 2 for $5.99.

https://smile.amazon.com/LARGE-Premium-Original-Danish-Dough/dp/B0881JW89D/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=(+"2+pack+13.5+inch+The+Original+Danish+Dough+Whisk%2CStainless+Steel+Dutch+Style+Hand+Mixer+Bread+Dough+Whisk"+)&qid=1620306669&sr=8-2

Must hit the thrift stores first though, I know I've seen them recently.

Edited by CentralMA (log)

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

At the start, when mixing the liquid into the dry ingredients, until they come together and form a cohesive mass.  Then it can continue to be no-knead from that point, gently kneaded, etc. etc.  Works amazingly well.

It also makes  short work of mixing dry ingredients

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed using this lately (while only briefly each time):

20210508_082904_HDR.thumb.jpg.2c4b11031740da9de9a62f3d5c7c6680.jpg

It's a relatively inexpensive induction hob - 3500 Watts!!!  It brought about 12 quarts of water to a rolling boil in just under 12 minutes.  It doesn't really like it when I lift the pan - it beeps at me when I do so, but at least it doesn't shut off.  So far, I've only had time to use it to bring the stockpot to a boil (as a test) and to stir fry a few veggies in my carbon steel wok, which was an absolute pleasure - so much easier than when I used to use my crappy underpowered gas stove.  One of the things that makes it inexpensive is that you can only choose from about 10 power levels, which has been fine so far for what I've been doing.  Sometime soon in the future I'm going to get a Vollrath induction unit (I'm thinking the 2600W since so far I haven't had the need to use this one at 3500W except to boil water - the stir fries haven't gone over 2400W and even that is crazy hot) which you can control the output power in 1% increments, from 0 to 100% and also, rather than cycling the power on and off for the power level, it adjusts the power intensity.  Plus, to control the power there is a knob rather than push buttons... but that's for another post.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KennethT said:

It's a relatively inexpensive induction hob - 3500 Watts!!!  It brought about 12 quarts of water to a rolling boil in just under 12 minutes.  It doesn't really like it when I lift the pan - it beeps at me when I do so, but at least it doesn't shut off. 

Mine gives me a slow three-count before shutting off. That's usually plenty long enough, though occasionally annoying.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, KennethT said:

It doesn't really like it when I lift the pan - it beeps at me

Don't they all do that? Every one I've had did. My current one does beep then switch off, but there is a reasonable time delay before the power cuts. I've never timed it. I'll test it later, if I remember.

It's 2,100 watts which I find more than enough for stir-fry wok cooking when I have to use it that way, but that happens very infrequently. I mostly use it for long, slow, acidic wok braises.  🤣

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The Vollrath I'm looking at supposedly has an expanded magnetic field which allows you to lift the pan while staying within the mag field to replicate cooking on gas.  It's commercial equipment which I like.  That's not the primary reason why I'm looking at it, but it's certainly a nice feature.  The primary reasons are the fine power control with knob, temperature probe which can get it to act like a sous vide setup (even though I already have a few DIY ones that work fine) or make deep frying idiot proof (which I need) and also supposedly one  of the most accurate pan temp sensors available, which, if true, would be great for my pressure cooker which I use to make stocks as I constantly had to fiddle with my gas range to get it to stay at a stable pressure - a real pita when doing an hour long stock.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Ppolane baked here or shipped baked/frozen?

Shipped baked and frozen.  Not quite as good as picking it up on the Rue du Cherche-Midi, but just a little reminder of what we'er missing. Needs to be toasted and/or heated up at home.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Needs to be toasted and/or heated up at home.

So does the stuff from Cherche-Midi after 12 hours.     Enjoy!     (BTW, early reports of those already back on the old sod report of near normalcy except for the dearth of tourists.   Sounds like heaven.)

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Shipped baked and frozen.  Not quite as good as picking it up on the Rue du Cherche-Midi, but just a little reminder of what we'er missing. Needs to be toasted and/or heated up at home.

It used to be you could buy fresh, same day Parisian bread in Princeton.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For no particular reason, I picked these up in the local supermarket. I don't go for all the superfood, antioxidant BS. OK, these have more phytochemicals then the red variety, but that only proves they have more phytochemicals then the red variety. Not that they do anything super.

So, these are 黑枸杞 (hēi gǒu qǐ).

276439182_1024.thumb.jpg.aaa5e7730d6be0d16a1a825e2bba83f1.jpg

Black goji berries.

Much smaller than their red variety.

2089288709_redandblack.thumb.jpg.dbeb361722b4525f01977967e680268c.jpg

Round here they are used to make a 'tea' or, more correctly, 'tisane'. That's where the fun comes in. When I drop them into water, the water turns this lovely blue colour.

blue.thumb.jpg.a1a9fe4534209d1c29813c7cc23e5394.jpg

Unfortunately, within 30 seconds, it darkens and becomes a less lovely purple.

purple.thumb.jpg.9ae976432d06428511ea7df97190b245.jpg

Oh well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had dinner last week with a VERY SERIOUS WINE PERSON, who then gave me a few cases of VERY SERIOUS WINES.  

Well.  I live in an un-air-conditioned fifth-floor walkup.   

So I just ordered me a wine refrigerator. 

In the meantime, the boxes sit in my neighbor's air-conditioned living room, two floors down.  

ETA:  I got a "blemished" New-Air, which was about half price, and purports to run at 35dB -- a critical quality in an apartment which already features a 20+ year old fridge, a chest freezer, and round-the-clock fans all summer.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Said blemished New-Air, populated:

IMG_2035.thumb.JPG.4ecf6103eb2b5c3f99bef32906e20df7.JPG

There are another several bottles in the regular fridge, which I couldn't get in the cooler.  It was quite the gift, and included a box of Krug.  

I guess it's gonna be a good wine summer.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, liuzhou said:

For no particular reason, I picked these up in the local supermarket. I don't go for all the superfood, antioxidant BS. OK, these have more phytochemicals then the red variety, but that only proves they have more phytochemicals then the red variety. Not that they do anything super.

So, these are 黑枸杞 (hēi gǒu qǐ).

276439182_1024.thumb.jpg.aaa5e7730d6be0d16a1a825e2bba83f1.jpg

Black goji berries.

Much smaller than their red variety.

2089288709_redandblack.thumb.jpg.dbeb361722b4525f01977967e680268c.jpg

Round here they are used to make a 'tea' or, more correctly, 'tisane'. That's where the fun comes in. When I drop them into water, the water turns this lovely blue colour.

blue.thumb.jpg.a1a9fe4534209d1c29813c7cc23e5394.jpg

Unfortunately, within 30 seconds, it darkens and becomes a less lovely purple.

purple.thumb.jpg.9ae976432d06428511ea7df97190b245.jpg

Oh well.

Purple is my favorite color so I like it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SLB said:

Said blemished New-Air, populated:

IMG_2035.thumb.JPG.4ecf6103eb2b5c3f99bef32906e20df7.JPG

There are another several bottles in the regular fridge, which I couldn't get in the cooler.  It was quite the gift, and included a box of Krug.  

I guess it's gonna be a good wine summer.

Excellent! Enjoy “Wine summer 2021”👍👍

• Like 1