• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

you can buy one of these for $ 9.99 :

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07H1Y419L/egulletcom-20

or 4 of these for $ 12.99 :

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Tongs-Non-Stick-Resistant-Dishwasher/dp/B076MGGRQ9/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/131-5570512-5638352?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076MGGRQ9&pd_rd_r=aa792fcb-c645-460b-a353-10cdeaa46139&pd_rd_w=jq1bf&pd_rd_wg=TEi0o&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=A0H5AH6GZCFKYZ4X5DQA&psc=1&refRID=A0H5AH6GZCFKYZ4X5DQA

2 large , and two small !

they also have them w a perforated ' shovel :

fff.jpg.df5726e88e0fe3a42ea469a5c476c91c.jpg

dont like Meconium Green ?  they have Red !

of course , the last nail in their coffin :

" As Seen on TV "

[ed. : Its a slow morning here ]

yet , if you get the 4 pack , that's 4 people you can ' gift to '

the ones you dont want to hear from again any time soon !

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Yes, I think. I tried them once and couldn't grab anything.  The amazon ad shows them being used to pick up a burger.  Apparently the spatula will be a thing of the past. 🤪

The only thing they grab is someone's money.

• Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I couldn't figure it out either. Looks like this item I found on Amazon. Sort of a spatula/tong combo. The reviews don't sound promising, do they?

Yes, that's it.  Would really love to see someone try and plate that spaghettis w them as shown in pic 5.    But, really, the burger, it's like "Attn, dumb Americans, since burgers are about the only thing you can make now you don't have to worry about dropping them the 1' or 2' from the skillet to the plate, as you very often do!" You're welcome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

On 9/6/2020 at 9:44 AM, Darienne said:

As of yesterday, I do have a 'fun' thing on the horizon.  A friend and her husband from the GTA are coming to dinner on the 14th.  She is bringing me her castoff long sleeved jerseys to pick through...and her castoffs are better than my first runs.  No, I am not a clothes horse. 

Last time round she offered me her castoff short sleeved tees.  She brought...wait for it...79...SEVENTY-NINE... t-shirts, many of which had never been worn.  I went through them.  The neighbors went through them.  Friends went through them.  The Dog Weekend folks went through them.   And the rest went to a women's shelter.   What did she have left at home I wondered...

Alas, I still don't have the jerseys.  Quite near the last minute, I backed out of this one.  They live in the most Covid 19 - ridden area in Ontario and I felt that I just couldn't risk it with our son arriving later that week.  Our son would be in the category called 'at risk' after the last four unexpected years of his life.  Today he turned 55 and we are going out for French Fries for lunch at a local chip wagon which has picnic tables.  Now that is fun. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

We had to replace our microwave.  Had a Panasonic,  bought another,  very similar Panasonic.  Going without a microwave for 10 days was torcher. Not exactly fun, but grateful.

I'm loving the Keurig.

i have a backup microwave still in box, never opened in my storeroom.  "Just in case."  It was one of the Amazon "gold box" deals a "just released" appliance - one year ago. September 2019, no price listed on the product page; Now it's listed at 398.04.  I paid $112.88.

It's a Cosmo huge - 2.2 cu. ft, 1200 W.   

My current MW that I got for free via the Vine Voices program is a Toshiba 1000 watt. no interior light, it stopped working several months after I got it.

I like it because it has one-button pre-set times for 30 secs, 1, 2 and 3 minute times,  a Re-heat sensor that is the best I have ever used and I have had microwaves since 1967.  

Also, it fits in my "microwave cabinet"  while the Cosmo is 1 1/2 inches too wide to fit in the cabinet.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Optical refractometer - like they use to measure sugar content in vineyards!  What for?!

The ice cream book is a hint.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am not blind. I was wondering what it was truly needed for for the home ice cream maker.

Clearly you've missed the point of the eG home ice cream maker vs the general public home ice cream maker!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Clearly you've missed the point of the eG home ice cream maker vs the general public home ice cream maker! The eG home ice cream maker would no more make ice cream without a refractometer than the eG home baker would make a loaf of bread without a steam oven.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Clearly you've missed the point of the eG home ice cream maker vs the general public home ice cream maker!

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my unsuitability for these forums has been clarified as well.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, heidih said:

Optical refractometer - like they use to measure sugar content in vineyards!  What for?!

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The ice cream book is a hint.

16 hours ago, heidih said:

I am not blind. I was wondering what it was truly needed for for the home ice cream maker.

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my unsuitability for these forums has been clarified as well.

And if you don't have your stabilizers, you're banned! (tongue in cheek, tongue in cheek).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 9/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, IowaDee said:

Many years ago there was a small Mexican restaurant in a near-by town that had the best tacos al pastor outside of Mexico we've ever had.  The place closed and I did everything in my power to track down that table model vertical spit.  Funny, but all of a sudden my limited Spanish was no longer understood where it had been a month before!  To this day it hasn't showed up at another restaurant in the area so is must have been whisked out out of town in the middle of the night.  I have had one on my Amazon Wish List for many, many years!

After thoroughly enjoying tacos al pastor across Mexico (my favorite was in a family owned place in Mexico City - in a pretty bad part of town), and all things gyro, I think that the vertical rotisserie has a number of things going for it. And not the least of which is the fact that on a BIG one, that meat is on that skewer for a long time - and all the intermingling of juices, bacteria, and who-knows-what-else conspires together to make the flavor what it is. All that to say I'm tempted by the little Amazon unit, but it would be missing that 'fungal je nais se quois'.

As for tacos al pastor, #2 on my list is a little place in Nogales Mexico that is an open air car wash by day (about 7 bays) and restaurant by night. They tie up the hoses and pull tables out. Truly an incredible meal - it's become an annual tradition.

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

That hit home.  The best tacos al pastor we had in Mexico was in Mazatlan.  The place was a scooter rental by day and became a restaurant at night.  They even had grandma out front making tortillas. If that wasn't enough to lure you in, the smells would for sure.  Thanks for reminding me of that!

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

IMG_3640.thumb.jpg.1721c36ebf89a0d28a4df94850534156.jpg

The best pretzel (soft or hard) dipping mustard I've ever had.  It has slowly and completely disappeared from grocery stores in the last couple of years, but Amazon still has it and Mr. Kim Primed it for me.  

I took some visiting German co-workers to a local craft beer place a few years ago, because they were missing their home country's style beer vs. what they got in the sports bars.   I ordered hot pretzels and they were served with the typical (in America) spicy brown mustard.   They looked incredulously at that and said "Where's the butter?"   I learned that night that pretzels (Brezn) were served with soft butter and not mustard in Germany.   The mustard dip is pretty much American style.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I took some visiting German co-workers to a local craft beer place a few years ago, because they were missing their home country's style beer vs. what they got in the sports bars.   I ordered hot pretzels and they were served with the typical (in America) spicy brown mustard.   They looked incredulously at that and said "Where's the butter?"   I learned that night that pretzels (Brezn) were served with soft butter and not mustard in Germany.   The mustard dip is pretty much American style.

That's really interesting.  I'm all in for butter, too.  Most places we went to (pre-Covid) had started doing pretzels and beer cheese.  I like that, too.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

IMG_3640.thumb.jpg.1721c36ebf89a0d28a4df94850534156.jpg

The best pretzel (soft or hard) dipping mustard I've ever had.  It has slowly and completely disappeared from grocery stores in the last couple of years, but Amazon still has it and Mr. Kim Primed it for me.  

Is that like a honey mustard?