• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

Many years ago there was a small Mexican restaurant in a near-by town that had the best tacos al pastor outside of Mexico we've ever had.  The place closed and I did everything in my power to track down that table model vertical spit.  Funny, but all of a sudden my limited Spanish was no longer understood where it had been a month before!  To this day it hasn't showed up at another restaurant in the area so is must have been whisked out out of town in the middle of the night.  I have had one on my Amazon Wish List for many, many years!

On 9/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

Thanks for the link.  I will delve in tomorrow and look.

Most of you will find this weird...but I've had gyro one time in my life and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a good one, but I loved it.  I'm CRAVING one now because I saw you could order from Goldbelly.  It's not as hot now and the place is in Houston so not too too far from Kansas.  I really want to order.  It's crazy expensive, but we don't go anywhere--even before Covid.  I haven't bought anything for myself fun for ever it seems like.  I dunno.  I just wonder how it would ship.....

I've been thinking about this - I don't think there's a need to buy a whole vertical rotisserie unless you plan on starting a gyro restaurant.  Lots of the gyro places (both brick/mortar and truck) may have the  log on the spit, but many shave the meat off the log and then crisp up on the grill.  So there's no reason you can make a bunch of the meat spread it pretty thin - maybe 1/8" and then grill it or pan fry.  I imagine the result would be really similar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Ron Popeil's Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. Apparently out of production, but still available. Only $900 new on Amazon. Used ones available for $250 and up.

503561044_ScreenShot2020-09-21at9_29_11AM.thumb.png.581929cab69ab6ba03ca80e8fee7f45a.png

I have one of these!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Lots of us have vertical roasters (it's in your attic😁), I wonder if one of those could be jerry-rigged for gyro?  

I got an inexpensive one relatively recently from Amazon... I think it was made in Turkey - and in their instructions included a recipe and a link to their website with videos of how to make gyro and schwarma...  So, evidently, no jerry-rigging required - just a food processor (or industrial meat grinder) to finely grind the meat (if making a gyro).

• Like 3

Another problem with the Chefman.  Two nights ago I made paella (which my Spanish speaking friend reminded me was not a real paella).  No matter, the paella was rather good.  I wanted to place the paella on the Chefman to keep warm.  I couldn't find an open surface in the dining room or kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

Thanks for the link.  I will delve in tomorrow and look.

Most of you will find this weird...but I've had gyro one time in my life and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a good one, but I loved it.  I'm CRAVING one now because I saw you could order from Goldbelly.  It's not as hot now and the place is in Houston so not too too far from Kansas.  I really want to order.  It's crazy expensive, but we don't go anywhere--even before Covid.  I haven't bought anything for myself fun for ever it seems like.  I dunno.  I just wonder how it would ship.....

@Shelby, you *could* do the gyro meat SV and with torch flame.   The dude on SV Everything did it and it looked pretty legit.  I admit though I am not a gyro expert at all.   Sous vide gyro.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Would probably not be all that exciting to most who can just run to the local store and get it but I searched for a long time (years) waiting to find a good Canadian online source for the over-the-top, way overboard, should have used some restraint, ridiculous amount of Mexican cooking ingredients I recently received... so it's pretty fun to me. :D

Can you share the link, please? I can get quite a lot locally but can probably find something else I need! 😃

47 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Can you share the link, please? I can get quite a lot locally but can probably find something else I need! 😃

Happy to share the link but I doubt you'll find much you can't already get if you have a good local source. :D

Mexi-Market

• Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Another problem with the Chefman.  Two nights ago I made paella (which my Spanish speaking friend reminded me was not a real paella).  No matter, the paella was rather good.  I wanted to place the paella on the Chefman to keep warm.  I couldn't find an open surface in the dining room or kitchen.

What constitutes paella reality?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I too would like to know. There's discussion about that in the eG Cookoff #31: Paella, but the Spanish-speaking friend may have a different, or more nuanced, idea.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@gfweb @Smithy she denigrated my paella as arroz con pollo as it had only chicken and chorizo for protein.

Tonight our library had a presentation on paella.  The chef (at home) used chicken and chorizo, but included clams, lobster, and frozen mixed seafood in his version.  He said you could add snails or whatever it is you like.  He also made sangria.

Me, I'm having leftover arroz con pollo again for dinner after I finish my mai tai course.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I finally got the Breville Juice Fountain I've been eying for years. I haven't really done anything with it yet (a couple of apples to make sure it worked), but I'm looking forward to playing.

This fall I hope to acquire a slow juicer.  Kuvings had a recent sale but I had just purchased an anova oven and I couldn't play.

We had to replace our microwave.  Had a Panasonic,  bought another,  very similar Panasonic.  Going without a microwave for 10 days was torcher. Not exactly fun, but grateful.

I'm loving the Keurig.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I finally got the Breville Juice Fountain I've been eying for years. I haven't really done anything with it yet (a couple of apples to make sure it worked), but I'm looking forward to playing.

I had the Breville elite die-cast one which worked great. I gave it to my daughter several years ago and her husband mainly uses it, juices everything that can be juiced and some of the pulp gets used in baked goods.  It is ideal for a family of five that like to mix fresh juices with protein, collegen and other powders for easily transportable meal substitutes.  Celery and apple juice combo is one of their favorites for super hydration while hiking in the hills around Livermore.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

Oh, there is so much to the reality of paella, and as @JoNorvelleWalker's friend states so correctly, it's often arroz con pollo!

I got my flu shot, a 32 oz. jar of Duke's, 6 new Durlaex drinking glasses (I broke one last week; as probably mentioned elsewhere, they break into 1,000,250 pieces), and a few butter/cream cheese/ice cream keepers.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was given these 'catch all' tongs (apparently the latest must have per boss). Can't for the life of me find a reason to use them.  Storage too is challenging since they're one piece and can't slide an arm down the side of the utensil jar like the normal tongs.  (Up for re-gifting) 

tongs.JPG.cf00c3664457146e6a34cdcad6445b4e.JPG

• Confused 2

That wasn't chicken

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Eatmywords

I can't figure out what these are supposed to do.

the connection between the tips :  its flexible ?

Yes, I think. I tried them once and couldn't grab anything.  The amazon ad shows them being used to pick up a burger.  Apparently the spatula will be a thing of the past. 🤪

• Haha 2

That wasn't chicken

18 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I was given these 'catch all' tongs (apparently the latest must have per boss). Can't for the life of me find a reason to use them.  Storage too is challenging since they're one piece and can't slide an arm down the side of the utensil jar like the normal tongs.  (Up for re-gifting) 

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Eatmywords

I can't figure out what these are supposed to do.

the connection between the tips :  its flexible ?

I couldn't figure it out either. Looks like this item I found on Amazon. Sort of a spatula/tong combo. The reviews don't sound promising, do they?