• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Chefman hotplate arrived today.  I would have been much more enamored with it if the cord had been detachable.

I prefer an attached cord - lose too many otherwise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sadly for me the cord is often the first thing to wear out on an appliance.  If the Chefman had a detachable cord I would be leaving it out on the table all the time.  I have a Salton warming tray on the table that's been there about forty years.

Still the Chefman looks like a good product and it was not expensive.  I have not tried heating with it yet.  What really sold me was the temperature range.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sadly for me the cord is often the first thing to wear out on an appliance.  If the Chefman had a detachable cord I would be leaving it out on the table all the time.  I have a Salton warming tray on the table that's been there about forty years.

Still the Chefman looks like a good product and it was not expensive.  I have not tried heating with it yet.  What really sold me was the temperature range.

Not sure I've ever had a cord wear out. Where do your cords fail?

57 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Not sure I've ever had a cord wear out. Where do your cords fail?

I still have my old anova cord.  When I have the energy (which won't be tonight) I'll try to look for it.

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

My last book order for a little while:

IMG_3364.jpg.4bf0cd36ed43fa8cce3772f6f3dbceea.jpg

It looked fun and was only $4.  

Now you are forced to make the pie on the cover and post the results in the Crusty Chronicles.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Teo

On 9/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I like removable cords if they're *standard* — any kind of IEC connector is fine — but would rather have a hardwired cord than some kind of custom cord. A hardwired cord is actually often easier to fix than a custom detachable one.

@gfweb I looked for the damaged cord but couldn't find it.  Possibly I threw it out, though that is not like me.

Meanwhile the Chefman seems capable of holding a temperature about 100F, measured with a thermocouple surface probe.  I have not tested higher settings.  On the downside the Chefman is a lot thicker than what amazon had promised.  All in all a good deal for the price but it won't be living fulltime on my table.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

To eat? Cookware?

I've always thought this Fante's Kitchen Shop website looked cool. I haven't ever ordered yet, but you might be interested. Lots of coffee, tea, etc., accoutrements. Other things, too.

https://www.fantes.com/

BOTH lol.

Thanks for the link.  I will delve in tomorrow and look.

Most of you will find this weird...but I've had gyro one time in my life and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a good one, but I loved it.  I'm CRAVING one now because I saw you could order from Goldbelly.  It's not as hot now and the place is in Houston so not too too far from Kansas.  I really want to order.  It's crazy expensive, but we don't go anywhere--even before Covid.  I haven't bought anything for myself fun for ever it seems like.  I dunno.  I just wonder how it would ship.....

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am not sure.  The knob is continuous but I tested only on low.  Maybe Kerry could answer.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

They are pre set or variable?

I'd say variable - I was able to adjust over a range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

Most of you will find this weird...but I've had gyro one time in my life and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a good one, but I loved it.  I'm CRAVING one now because I saw you could order from Goldbelly.  It's not as hot now and the place is in Houston so not too too far from Kansas.  I really want to order.  It's crazy expensive, but we don't go anywhere--even before Covid.  I haven't bought anything for myself fun for ever it seems like.  I dunno.  I just wonder how it would ship.....

I can't imagine shipping a gyro. Plus we have so many middle eastern food trucks here (some of which are fantastic) I'd love to get some and UPS them to you. That and a couple of the Keitt mangoes my friend sent me from LA. Let's see how many miles we can put on them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Most of you will find this weird...but I've had gyro one time in my life and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a good one, but I loved it.

At first glance, I read "guy" instead of gyro and would have suggested you get out more.

That being said, I've never had a gyro at all, back then the area where I grew up was not very culturally diverse and my culinary adventures were confined to jello salad.

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My first Keurig coffee maker. I'm the only coffee drinker. Not set up yet, been painting in the kitchen.  Hopefully tomorrow. Birthday gift from my wife.  I've been lazy a lot lately and running out for my morning cup.  Well, not really lazy, the renovation work as well as keeping up with life's needs is using up my available energy. 

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

Gyro and falafel are two of my favorite foods in the entire world.  I was lucky enough to grow up going to my uncle's wife's parent house.  There would be a bunch of Syrian ladies in the kitchen and I'd wander among their skirts until someone fed me a strip of gyro meat or a falafel patty.  I'm fortunate that that kind of food is easy to find here in my area.  You know, you could always try making it.  This recipe doesn't look too difficult and the ingredients look right.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

You know, you could always try making it.  This recipe doesn't look too difficult and the ingredients look right.  

@Shelby, I'm with Kim.  I love the fearlessness with which you've tackled other things, even those you've never tried. I bet you could come up with a killer venison version or something like this

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook and @blue_dolphin, thanks for those links. We've got a good gyro place here in town, but I've had an itch to make it myself. Your recipes look better than what I've found.

Anyone got a fail-safe recipe for falafel? I love falafel. Get falafel salads from the gyro truck regularly. But again, I'd like to be able to make my own.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

@Shelby I’ve ordered from Goldbelly. I ordered pizza from Lou Mallenati’s (I’m sure I misspelled that) and cheesesteaks from Pats. They both came frozen with reusable freezer packs. 

Both were good. Not like the eating at the establishments but during COVID, without budgetary concerns, I didn’t mind the cost. Especially because in the worst so far of the pandemic, both places were losing money left and right. First time orders I believe get 10% off and they have sales. If you’re willing to spend the money, I’d give it a try. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, Shelby said:

BOTH lol.

I have a few links for some fun stuff you might try.  The only problem is that I don't believe they are suitable for a family site.

Barring that, you could always treat yourself to a nice gyro making machine from the big A...

image.thumb.png.a42c736e6f707105eb556c04e9aa1b57.png

Zz Pro Shawarma Doner Kebab Machine Gyro Grill with 2 Burner Vertical Broiler for Commercial home Kitchen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?