• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New California Law Allows Home Restaurants

Toliver

The article:

"Riverside’s Newly Legal Home Restaurants Look to Revolutionize California’s Food Scene"

Barra de Pan is a home restaurant in the vast Inland Empire, and it has been given full approval to operate thanks to California Retail Food Code AB-626, which legalizes “microenterprise home kitchen operations.” The newly implemented regulation allows anyone to run a licensed restaurant out of their home kitchen and dining room. No commercial space, no food truck, no ghost kitchen, and no staff is needed — just pull some local permits to get certified by the Riverside County public health office.

While it sounds easy to start an at-home restaurant, there are many hoops to jump through before you get the permit.

This reminds me so much of eG'er Bryan Z who had amazing pop-up dinners at his apartment/home. Some of the dinners have been documented here on Egullet. Any other longtime eG'ers remember him?

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The article:

"Riverside’s Newly Legal Home Restaurants Look to Revolutionize California’s Food Scene"

While it sounds easy to start an at-home restaurant, there are many hoops to jump through before you get the permit.

This reminds me so much of eG'er Bryan Z who had amazing pop-up dinners at his apartment/home. Some of the dinners have been documented here on Egullet. Any other longtime eG'ers remember him?

I don't know if he was around when I joined, but I definitely remember spending a lot of time reading his posts!  His stuff looked amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Ahhhhh - the folly of youth.  I think there were maybe a few others doing similar, including maybe people who might still be on here.

I think Bryan has ended up semi-permanently in the Bay Area.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?