• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Separating Candied Nuts

benr

I've started making chocolate-covered candied nuts (almonds & hazelnuts, currently). They're great and pretty popular, but separating the nuts after caramelization is the worst! There has to be a better way than doing it by hand. Does anyone have any tips for improving this process? How do larger scale producers do it at scale? I've searched and searched but haven't been able to find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Teo. I should have said that I was already doing that. 

I just have to imagine that companies doing this at a large scale aren't separating them by hand. If I knew how they were doing it, maybe I could figure out a small scale implementation of that process. 

Edited by benr (log)

Seems like you are making a mistake at some point, but it's impossible to say where without watching what you are doing in person.

The first suggestion that comes to mind is trying to reduce the sugar quantity. The caramel should be just enough to coat the nuts and nothing more. If there is more caramel in the pan, then it will act as glue no matter what. So if you are caramelizing too much sugar for the nuts you are adding, then this can be the source of the trouble. Beware that the sugar quantity does not depend only on the nuts weight, but also on their size and shape. The bigger the nuts, the smaller the total surface per weight.

Teo

Teo

39 minutes ago, benr said:

Thanks! It could very well be that I am making too much caramel. I will experiment with lesser amounts. 

What's your ratio?  I'd recommend between 10-20% of the weight of the nuts in sugar.  For example 500 g nuts, 50-100 g sugar. 

Agree on adding a little butter or cocoa butter at the end.