• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 9/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, weinoo said:

The classic method as everyone growing up on Long Island learned. Or maybe even growing up in Jersey.

@liuzhou - are those clams fresh or salt water clams? Because here, in Chinatown, I never see hard-shell clams (e.g. little necks, cherry stones, top necks) stored in water, but rather on ice. I think on the rare occasion when I have seen water, it's running, so they're not actually submerged in it.

They are saltwater clams from Beihai near the Tonkin Gulf on the border with China and Vietnam. The second image in the relevant recipe shows them in the market. The water is usually running but although the water is shallow they are submerged.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 9/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, weinoo said:

The classic method as everyone growing up on Long Island learned. Or maybe even growing up in Jersey.

@liuzhou - are those clams fresh or salt water clams? Because here, in Chinatown, I never see hard-shell clams (e.g. little necks, cherry stones, top necks) stored in water, but rather on ice. I think on the rare occasion when I have seen water, it's running, so they're not actually submerged in it.

They are saltwater clams from Beihai near the Tolkin Gulf on the border with China and Vietnam. The second image in the relevant recipe shows them in the market. The water is usually running but although the water is shallow they are submerged.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

They are saltwater clams from Beihai near the Tolkin Gulf on the border with China and Japan. The second image in the relevant recipe shows them in the market. The water is usually running but although the water is shallow they are submerged.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

They are saltwater clams from Beihai near the Tolkin Gulf on the border with China and Japan. The second image in the relevant recipe shows them in the market. The water is usualy running but although the water is shallow they are submerged.